Opel Blitz improvised fueltruck, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 48 · 5 months ago · 1/48, airbum, blitz, fueltruck, Luftwaffe, opel, quarter, Tamiya, WW II
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Improvised fueltruck

With the limited supply of vehicles in 1/48, you may have to improvise

The Opel Blitz had many uses for the Luftwaffe, and a lot of specialized versions were made. Sometimes it was not possible to get a factory-built truck for this and that, and the imagination had to be used.
    This is the Tamiya 3-tonne truck kit, and it will be modified into a fueltruck. Not one of the nice factory ones (you can get a re-issued Italeri for that), but one with fueldrums that are interconnected and with a pump on the bed of the truck.
    To give you an idea I assembled a few drums, and dusted off an old Blitz.

I may also use some parts from the SBS update for Italeri’s KfZ385, and probably some of Tamiyas other kits will have to deliver parts for this build. These pictures were also posted in my QuarterWerke topic, but as that is for general stuff on 1/48 vehicles, I have started this one as a stand-alone topic.

and so we are launched - next up some pictures of the actual build. Tune in again, or leave a comment and I shall mention you in the next update so that you get a mail when I post the next one

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Nice! I have both Opel versions, might get some mojo from your work Erik 😉 @ airbum

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

You're building a truck, Erik (@airbum)! Who would have thought? Looking forward to build and conversion. I also have the truck and conversion, but never could get going on it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

A great concept, my friend @airbum! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Hi Erik @airbum, the Opel Blitz is such an attractive vehicle and must be open to many conversions, looking forward to following yours.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking forward to this conversion, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo

What a response gentlemen! Thanks to you all @holzhamer, @gblair, @fiveten, @chinesegeorge and @johnb, it is appreciated. Perhaps there is a need for a quarterscale vehicle GB after all?

Framed!

Starting with the frame, some minor mods sneeks in

First up was the assembly of the basic frame, but a few mods were made

One was the exhaust. I had drilled on the Blitz in the forst picture, but somehow I could not hid straight, so I snipped it off and installed a 1,1mm brass tube instead. While the tube was out, I drilled the tow hook and installed a piece there. Should probably have been thinner and a bit further out?

More details and mods next time

• Profile Photo

Wonderful so far, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

I think it is coming along fine, Erik (@airbum). One of the problems with cars and trucks is cleaning up all the mold lines that are lurking on the various parts of the frame, exhaust, and the various other pieces. Just when you think you have them all, you discover more. It looks like you got them all.

• Profile Photo

Good save on the exhaust, Erik @airbum.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Exhaust looks good to me, Erik @airbum
    Nice progress.

• Profile Photo

Once again, thank you @fiveten, @gblair, @chinesegeorge and @johnb. Few more details here

testfitting

I dryfitted the major parts, no surprises there (it is Tamiya after all)

I have removed the supports for the canvas as mentioned

and cut off the bits to hold the wheelguards. I have those in PE, so still have the opportunity to mount them.
    The front have been opened up

not the best result, but it took an awful lot of time, so I shall probably have to live with that.

I drilled out 8 barrels and added some tube

They will have some fittings and stuff, but I just wanted to dryfit them too.

Usually these improvised furltrucks had 8 barrels, but I am afraid that Tamiya made theirs too small, so I either have to source som bigger ones, add another two, or just make space between them? They will have chains installed anyway, so probably the last option will be used. comments encouraged!

• Profile Photo

Barrels look great, Erik (@airbum). Unless you have more of the small barrels or 8 larger ones, I would go with the existing barrels and some chain. I wouldn't buy a bunch of new barrels unless I really thought they were needed.

• Profile Photo

My vote is for using chains as well, Erik @airbum, at least you have the room to install them.

• Profile Photo

Yep, using chains look like a good idea, my friend @airbum!