Ripped silk - Bugatti Type 35B

Started by George Williams · 63 · 6 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 months ago:

I’ve heard it said that the exhaust of a Bugatti Type 35B sounds like ripped silk. I tried to replicate this a number of years ago, but my wife at that time wasn’t feeling cooperative.

Anyway, this is my next project. I’m just waiting for the postman.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Wow! What an entry, my friend @chinesegeorge! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Superb entry, George @chinesegeorge
    Likely you will be checking the window multiple times a day now to see if the postman is on its way.
    Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @fiveten and @johnb. I’m planning to ramble on a bit before the postman comes. He may be delayed because we’ve had some very heavy rain recently causing some local flooding. So here goes.
    To some extent I blame my dear departed father for the purchase of this kit. Our @editor has also asked me to try uploading some pictures.

First I need to give you a little family history. My mother was admitted into hospital shortly after my birth, and sadly passed away not long after. Therefore I was brought up by my aunt, and only saw my father, who was a teacher, during the school holidays. I was born in 1950, and there was still rationing in force in England, here’s my ID card:

At the time my aunt lived in Lowestoft, the most easterly point on the UK mainland, and one summer holiday my dad took me to the local Woolworth’s dept store, which stocked all the range of Airfix kits. He bought me a 1/72 Spitfire kit, and that was the start for me.
    However my dad was a veteran car fan, and he built the Airfix 1/32 series of cars, Ford Model T, Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, etc. He was a staunch Riley cars fan, and his last car was a Riley Elf, basically a badge-engineered Mini, of which he was very proud.

After he retired he lived on the Brighton Road in south London so that he could watch the old “crocs” on their annual London to Brighton run. I can picture him now sat looking out of his window, a cigarette in one hand and glass of amber liquid in the other. Sadly he passed away while I was in my early twenties and we never had time to enjoy the classic car events together. Riley’s disappeared, along with many others, after being taken over by BMC, later British Leyland.

Anyway, back to the Bugatti. I couldn’t decide what to build after the Alfa Romeo F1 car. I was torn between the Italeri Alfa Monza, the new Meng McLaren MP 4/4,

The BEEMAX Lotus,

But eventually went for the Bugatti.
    Here’s one waiting for action at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

It was driven up the hill climb by Julian Majzub. It was terrific to watch him start, letting off the fly-off handbrake at just the right moment. @editor, these two photos were uploaded from my iPad.

My philosophy with my models is to have them in as original condition as possible, clean, but not bulled up, with perhaps a little wear and tear here and there.
    Here’s a very clean example I found on the US IPMS web site.

Compared with these slightly worn examples.

I’ve already bought the main colours I’m planning to use.

And I’m planning to try some of the Mr Color metallic paints.

Hope I haven’t bored you too much, happy modelling. @editor, these photos appear to have uploaded OK from my iPhone 12.

• Profile Photo

Sorry to hear about the early loss of your parents, George @chinesegeorge
    The modelling fever and skills are clearly a gift from your dad.
    Glad you decided to go for the Bugatti, this will be an amazing kit which you will enjoy a lot.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 9 months ago:

Great choice imo. Those interwar race cars are unparalleled in design and colours. Safety was not a concern, only speed mattered!
    I think you’re going to like those Gunze lacquer paints 😉

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 9 months ago:

I like this new project, George @chinesegeorge. Actually, the Type 35 was the last car model I built, back in the mid-1970s. I had bought a Monogram 1/24 Bugatti Type 35 model on a whim and I carefully built it, OOB. It turned out rather well, and I was quite pleased with it, until around 1982 when our toddler daughter Ann (now 43) found it unguarded and tried to play with it, with the expected results. I bought another Monogram kit several years ago off Ebay, and still have plans to build a pure racing version of the 35. So, I'll be following this with great interest, George.

Oh, here's a link to a build I found when researching my own Bugatti plans. This project was really something, but it's detailing way above my pay grade.

Bugatti Type 35B (Monogram) Build #1 – Parts Layout and Getting Started
    So, excited as I am to see you work your magic here, George, I just say, then build on, sir! 😁
  • Profile Photo

Loved reading your story, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for that, @garybrantley, the link worked fine although the photos wouldn’t work, but it was an interesting read.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 9 months ago:

George, you're welcome. It's a pity the photos are showing up, they are really "enlightening". 😊 That guy did some incredible work in 1/24 scale. I'll try to borrow a few of his "tricks" when I attempt my Type 35. 😉

• Profile Photo

Hi @fiveten, @johnb, @garybrantley, @holzhamer, the postman made it through the floods this morning, so let’s see what’s in the box. A nice instruction book and, guess what the upload’s not working @editor.

I’ll try again tomorrow.
    Let’s try one at a time and see if that works.
    Some grey styrene
    Etched nickel silver
    Bits and bobs
    More bits and bobs
    A couple of clear parts
    Four tyres
    Transfers
    Main body parts
    The wheels, they look gorgeous
    Some black styrene
    More blue bits
    Some chrome
    And lastly some more grey styrene
    Looks like happy modelling. Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo

This sprue tree looks busy, my friend @chinesegeorge! Looking forward to the remaining pics.

• Profile Photo

The parts on that sprue do look nicely detailed, George @chinesegeorge

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Good morning @johnb, @fiveten, @holzhamer, and @garybrantley. That’s the preamble over with, let’s start work.

Construction starts with preparing the side frames for the chassis.

There are some small brackets to be fixed near the front.

That’s both sides done.

Plenty more to come, thanks for looking and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

That's a good start, George @chinesegeorge