Sauber Mercedes C9

Started by Richard Mcstay · 44 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks guys, you are too kind! The belts and the seat are in place now. I've just got the gear lever to fit and I think I'm going to leave the cockpit at that.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 9 months ago:

The belts look good, Richard, and you've got some nice shading going on in the cockpit.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Still great work in the command centre !

• Profile Photo

Cheers George thanks.
    Thank you as well Bernd, I've been putting some pictures up in there, you might like them!

The wheels are ready to go on now once I've finished detailing the engine bay. I'm going to try and get some more done tonight but I have to go back to work tomorrow unfortunately.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 9 months ago:

The wheels look great Richard, and so do the posters, got the albums ..

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Now let me think, who was the tyre supplier? Was it Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone maybe, ah, I've got it, it must have been Michelin! Only joking, Richard! I'm going away for a couple of weeks to tropical south China, might include a visit to Hong Kong, I hear they've got some model shops there...you should have finished this by the time I get back.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Simon. And justice for all is awesome! Proper thrashy Metallica! I've learnt a few bits and bobs from this album on the piano actually, it transfers across pretty well.

One sounds really good on piano, till you get to the heavy bit in E minor... you need to plug the les paul in for that bit! The intro from Blackened works fantastic on the piano also! To live is to die, and Dyers eve are favourites of mine as well, both massively under rated tracks!

Slightly off topic there anyway, this seems to happen when we mention heavy metal!

I've been making a bit progress on the car also, the manifold and exhausts are in.

• Profile Photo

Yes definitely Michelin, at least they are doing a good job of advertising! I doubt it will be finished, I'm mobilising tomorrow morning to a rig off the coast of Great Yarmouth for 3 weeks. Also rather tropical when compared to the coast of Shetland!
    Have fun shopping anyway, I've recently topped my stash up as well!

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Back from work for a little bit now so I've been cracking on with the car. I've pretty much finished with the engine bay now. All parts from the box have been added and I've wired the engine up reasonably accurately using reference pics of the real thing. I'm pretty sure a Sauber engineer would find a few faults there mind on inspection!

The back tires are on also. I've gave them a bit of a scrub using sanding sticks to simulate a bit of tyre wear from hurtling round the circuit de la Sarthe!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Nice work Richard, the back end looks sweet.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 8 months ago:

The extra detailing on the engine looks good, and you can't beat a "sweet back hind", as says Simon says, I'm sure there's a heavy metal song there somewhere!

• Profile Photo

I'm sure there is a song in there somewhere! Cheers guys, thank you.
    The next stage now is the shell, I started by priming it with some Tamiya gloss black. The manual calls for a mix of XF4 yellow/green and a generous amount of X19 smoke for the underside of the engine bay cover. I mixed 50/50 chrome and gloss white for the silver.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Oooooo, so nice, got a song going yet Richard?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 8 months ago:

I would never thought of chrome and gloss white, it looks good, shame so much of your detailing work is going to be covered up though.

• Profile Photo

I haven't got a song yet, but I'm sure one will come! It's always a shame when you have to cover up the detail, same with the bikes when you have to put the fairings on at the end! The bonnet and the engine bay cover won't be getting glued down though!

I've made a start with the decals on the shell of the car. This is always my favourite part of the build as the model starts to come to life.

I used the normal Microset/sol and they have went down without any problems. I also used the carbon fibre decals for the top of the dash. Still a few more to go before I can put another layer of gloss down. I'm going to use a wash I think to get in the panel lines, it should stand out against the silver.

I got some aftermarket window masks in with the bundle, always a bonus! The clear plastic parts fit like a glove into the window frames. I'll probably use a bit of PVA to fasten them in. I've well and truly fell out with the Humbrol Clearfix that I was using.

Next is the big rear wing. I'm sure Hendrix wrote one about that actually, but his was just little!

I've started with a base coat of semi gloss black, there's a big decal still to go on there. Here's one last photo of the cockpit before the shell goes on, it's a shame to hide most of it but I wouldn't be happy if I knew it wasn't there!