State of the Art Question For Car Models

Started by Carl Smoot · 5 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 9 months, 1 week ago:

For lack of a better place to ask this question, I am posting it here. I normally build aircraft models and the state of the art for plastic aircraft kits has gotten to an insanely high level of quality and engineering. Kits do cost more, but putting aside costs for this question, is there anything equivalent to these latest aircraft wunderkits in the automotive modeling world.

Now before answering, I know that several Japanese manufacturers make some high quality kits (although I do not know if they are as good as the latest aircraft kits). But most of the kits that I have seen from Japan tend to be foreign (I.e. non US) brands or sporty cars.

If someone wanted to build models of the older American classics from the 60's and 70's, is there anything remotely equivalent? I recently saw a YouTube video of a new tool Revell 71 Ford Mustang. I was less than impressed at the level of molding detail and finesse compared to what I have seen in aircraft models. Admittedly it is a Revell kit and even their aircraft kits are not top of the line.

This is a general question because I find myself considering adding some cars to my building projects, but I want to see what is out there first.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

A very good question, Carl @clipper
    I'm not a car builder, but I would expect that also for automotive kits the detail level has increased over the years.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Hi my friend @clipper! Being no car expert also, I think that we do not see that many modern state of the art kits as we see aeroplane kits. Many are just reissues of older molds, especially regarding the category you are after.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Carl @clipper, for some reason the demand in our hobby is mainly for war planes from different eras. As a keen car and motorcycle modeller I feel quite neglected by the new releases. Additionally, some of the car manufacturers have recently stopped the kit companies from making models of their cars, Ferrari is an example of this. So, to sum up, I think you’re unlikely to come across many “up to date” kits of the cars you like. By the way, Americans are foreign to the rest of the world…………

Happy modelling, George.

• Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

I have built the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IX and it was a dream to build.
    The latest Tamiya 1/24 cars are of a similar quality (such as the GMA T.50), but I doubt you'll find that quality on older US cars kits. We can hope, though!