Tamiya 1/12 Ducati 1199 Penigale S

Started by Gavin Snowdon · 65 · 1 year ago · 1/12, 1199, Ducati, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Taking a break from my proposed mech builds, I decide that I'd do something different like an out of the box motorcycle.

I haven't done a motorcycle in a while, the last a Ducati NCR racer that I gave a bit of cafe' racer treatment to. Boy was that fun.

Anyway, I thought that a more sedate out of the box build would be great. How mistaken was I...

The new kits are quite nice, but I was sorely disappointed with the decal screw heads, what happened to the nicely moulded bolts head that are normally evident on the fairings. Decals are sacrilegious!
    This started down me down the rabbit hole...

After researching the screw heads at your usual suspects, which turned out to as rare as chickens teeth, I discover some other aftermarket products that perked my interest.

So contrary to my initial decision, I am now the proud owner of after market products for my build and simultaneously solved my fairing screw head dilemma.

Starting the build, the old engine looked as complex as a lawn mower engine in comparison.

Till next time, my thoughts go out to the people of Ukraine.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great entry, great extras and great start, my friend @snowman!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Really looking forward to seeing this one, Gavin, one of my favourite bikes. My good friend Richard McStay posted the tricolor version of this kit here a while ago as well.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice start, Gavin @snowman
    Never did a bike myself but am interested to see yours being build.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 2 months ago:

This should be very cool Gavin @snowman. I've always been a Ducati fan, and came close to buying a Monster about ten years ago...shoulda, coulda...now wishing I hadda! ;). Here's a scanned pic that I took of a good friends' Ducati SS while he was visiting us. It sits here in our driveway, circa 1996 or so. A truly lovely ride! :). I also have a pic of yours truly astride this bike but it hasn't been scanned yet.

• Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 2 years, 1 month ago:

I’m keen to follow this build as I have been toying with buying the Panigale kit for a while now. I have a Ducati in the garage..

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 2 years, 1 month ago:

I have searched high and low for the rivet screws to replace the evil decals and I finally happened upon a guy online, "Mac" of Macsmodeling.com in Phoenix Arizona.
    Bish, bosh, bash. good price and decent postage and they have finally arrived!

Now I have to get myself in gear and get building!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Hope there are some spares, you’re bound to lose one or two to the carpet monster.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Nice aftermarket stuff, my friend @snowman!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Looking forward to see those mounted, Gavin @snowman

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 2 years ago:

Hi all, it's been a while.
    The modelling has been side lined by life's demands but I managed to make a start on the disc brakes and have now assembled one front brake hub.
    I need my head read, I forgot just how small and fiddly the bits were, but the results speak for themselves and justify my decision to head down this rabbit hole.;)

Well here are some images showing the the assembly process and the plastic part that is to be replaced.
    I now need to assemble the second front hub and the rear hub, airbrush satin black prior to fitting the disc brake PE.

Thanks for watching! :thumb2:

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Amazing job so far, my friend @snowman! Those PEs look wonderful!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Great result, Gavin @snowman
    That are quite some parts required for one disc.

• Profile Photo

Thanks all for the support! Slowly getting better at putting them together and I'm really pleased so far. Just need to remember that it is a slow process and I will need to slowly and deliberately move forward with this build.

• Profile Photo

Well, I have finally assembled the disc brakes. Had some airbrush issues whilst painting. Rust had bunged up the pressure regulator, had to order a replacement regulator.

Anyway, I am pleased with the results, have a peek.

They are definitely worth the effort when compared with the original molded parts.

Till next time, thanks for watching.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.