Tamiya 1/12 Ducati 1199 Penigale S

Started by Gavin Snowdon · 65 · 1 year ago · 1/12, 1199, Ducati, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Amazing bike, George @chinesegeorge
    Very realistic looks.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Hi @johnb, thanks your comment is also very kind.

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Wow George @chinesegeorge, super sweet build! Thanks for sharing!

• Profile Photo

Onwards at last with my build, after much procrastinating, sweating and swearing, I had to call it quits on attempting the PE chain that was in the after market kit. In the end I used the the original plastic part using Alclad steel & polished aluminium. Much better.

The chain was stopping the build and now I could move on!

Wow, what a fiddly build with all the screw on pieces and sub assemblies. Anyway, I made steady progress substituting the nasty rubber tubing for braided tubing, look much nicer in my opinion.

The after market fork are business, really happy with the look.

Well that is all for now, than for watching!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 9 months ago:

I had a similar problem with the after market chain on the Honda Monkey, in the end I gave up. You’ve made great progress now, Gavin @snowman, it’s looking really good.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @snowman!
    The kit provided chain looks perfect.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Very nice progress indeed, Gavin @snowman
    The braided tubing does look much better this way.

• Profile Photo

Hi Gavin @snowman, I’m interested in the braided pipes, how do you fit them to Tamiya’s connections, they look much thinner than the standard vinyl items?

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Hi Guys, great build Gavin... I love those discs! George, for braided hose lines I use the vinyl tube supplied in the kit, but about 4mm long to attach to the brake lever and caliper connector ends. I then use 15kg fishing trace as the braided hose, held in each end to the vinyl hose with a spot of superglue. The fishing trace is very convincing as a stainless steel braided hose. Hope you understand my poor explanation.

• Profile Photo

Hi Rory & George! Yeah, spot on, there are also some after market suppliers, whatever works for you! Some delicate drilling is required to pop the "braided hose" into with some superglue. The vinyl hose is easier but not particularly accurate.
    Here are some images from my NCR build with some wire and hose work.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Very nice technique, my friend @snowman!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

That nearly looks like assembling a real bike, Gavin @snowman

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gavin @snowman and Rory @Rory, I guessed that’s how you did it

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Wow Gavin, that build is superb. Living at the bottom of Africa, I have never seen that kit! However, a while back I managed to get a Ducati 888 (Doug Polen) racer which I am hoping to start soon, but thinking of doing my own colour scheme. I am also fortunate to have two full size Ducati's (2000 model 748 and a 2017 797 Monster) which live behind the couch in my lounge for reference...LOL

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wow, Rory! Paint me jealous!

Yeah, there are three older Ducati kits which I was fortunate enough to grab. They were the Ducati 900SS, the Ducati NCR racer and the Ducati Mike Hailwood replica. These were essentially the same kit with different fairings and minor details. I still haven't built the Mike Hailwood replica as it donated the motor for the NCR which I slight messed up the original engine. Anyway, thanks for sharing.