VW Typ 60 KdF-wagen, Tamiya 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 32 · 1 year ago · 1/48, beetle, boble, käfer, kdf, kdf wagen, quarterscale, Tamiya, Type 82E, type60, VW
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

The wheels like very nice, Erik @airbum
    Slightly flattened and so much detail on them, beautiful.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking great indeed, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 8 months ago:

I am curious, are the axles for the Tamiya VW wrong for all builds, or just non military vehicles? I do like the way it sits after your modifications. Nice little extra for to open the louvers under the rear window, that will look great when painted. Those wheels look great.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks guys. The typ 82E is based on the Kübelwagen, and it had a gear installed on the rear axle, raising the vehicle quite a bit @luftwaffe-birdman. That is where the need to lower a civvie beetle comes in. So strictly speaking they are wrong even on the Typ 82E, as they should look like the Tamiya Kübelwagen ones, but they work just fine as is.

Of course the Typ 60 were impressed into mil service, and after WW II the brits and french took on a lot of the now renamed Typ 1, but that is another story.

Actually the louvres does give me a tiny headache, as the hat-shelf is too low. Oh, well - plasticcard to the rescue I suppose.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Wall

the divider between the cabin and the engine continues to make me scratch my head

and scratchbuild of course

It is great to have half a beetle when you have to dryfit this much

after several templates it is getting closer

not quite there, but moving the right way

perhaps it is installed next time? Tune back in and check!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

A solid and quality step, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hi Erik @airbum, your attention to detail is amazing, as is your knowledge of the of these vehicles, I’m sure you will solve this problem, maybe using a little thinner material would help, just a thought.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great progress on the scratch building, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks @fiveten, @johnb and @chinesegeorge. I opted to thin the existing material and bend it a bit.

Back on the bench

The Typ 60 is back on the bench after almost 4 months!

A few details got some attention today, and LqS were used to smooth things

I just had to dryfit a pair of my wheels to check the stance. Of course being a dryfit I did not get the location of the flat spots right, but then it is possible to see they are there!

Having started to make door panels some more attention to the cabin is now on the agenda!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Coming together slowly but steadily and beautifully, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Starts to look like a nice beetle, Erik @airbum
    Did you remove the handle on purpose.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks @fiveten and @johnb. The handle had been removed on purpose, as it is cast with the body, and needs to protrude a bit to enable a hand to grab it.

LqS and dryfitting

The dryfitting continues as more LqS and some sheet is added

The boards need to end a bit earlier than Tamiya choose to do them, and the door needs to be marked at the bottom

As I plan to make my own windscreen and windows, the location cutout is no longer needed and it has been filled by card, LqS to follow

I have always thought that the roofline is a bit high on these kits, and I think I will try to sand it down a bit after the LqS has dryed completely. Tune in again to check!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great scratch building, Erik @airbum
    Looks like you are creating an entirely new Beetle.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Nice job all over, my friend @airbum! Paying attention to every detail!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

More LqS

With the LqS dry, more is added!

I re-invigorated the LqS with more glue, making a batch of very thin stuff.

As can be seen it is prone to move/run, so I turned the car once in a while to get it to go where I wanted. The seatbacks and aft divider also got a few drops to even them a bit.

Once again, the lot has to dry before another few minutes of work can be done. This is going to take a looooong time. . . .