Airfix 1/76 GMC DUKW 353

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 42 · 2 years ago · 1/76, Airfix, DUKW
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Hi everyone!

First, thanks to our Admin David @davids_models for the creation of this great "Naval" WiP GB and invitation.

I am not (at least so far...) into ships, the only "close" subject I had in my stash was this little Airfix amphibian...

Designed by a partnership under military auspices of Sparkman & Stephens and General Motors Corporation (GMC), the DUKW was used for the transportation of goods and troops over land and water. Excelling at approaching and crossing beaches in amphibious warfare attacks, it was intended only to last long enough to meet the demands of combat. Surviving DUKWs have since found popularity as tourist craft in marine environments.

This is the 1993 reissue if the original 1966 venerable Airfix kit. It was disvovered forgotten at a book shop in my town a few months ago. Still wrapped, it was "offered" to me for a mere 5 euros. It is labelled "1/72", but it is, by all means, 1/76.

It is an old school, simple, small, sweet kit. There are not a lot of parts, the 1993 remolding looking acceptable. Here's a look at the instructions, all nice and clear...
    Decals look good, with an extra sheet provided, something that Airfix/Heller used to do back then...
    The small transparency looks OK.
    All in all, it looks like a sweet oldie!

This will be my second armor-ish build ever, the first one being an 1/35 M60, some 20 years ago...

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    David Garcia said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Good Morning Spiros,
    You are correct that is a sweet little kit. Looking forward to seeing this one built.

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 2 years, 9 months ago:

I thought these looked familiar. There is a company near me that restores these. You can actually buy one restored or have it modified for commercial use. I have rode in one of these in Chicago. Can't wait to see this built.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @thevid and @davids_models!

• Profile Photo

Starting off...

Here is the lower hull assembled (a 3-piece affair).. .. ...and here is the complete basic body...
    Some parts cleanup is necessary, in order to fit adequately.
    I have to say that it is a very enjoyable build so far, a nice break not only from aeroplanes, but, specifically, from my big 1/32 Sukhoi that demands quite hefty amounts of wirking time...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

It cleary is smaller than the 1/32 Sukhoi, Spiros @fiveten
    Really looking forward to this build which is definitely out of your comfort zone.

• Profile Photo

Yes, it is smaller, my friend @johnb :

πŸ™‚
    I am now at the first stage coarse sanding!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This is a great idea, Spiros. It really opens up the possibilities for water craft models. I have the Italeri DUKW in 1/35. I have been waffling between doing a D-Day version and a Pacific Version. The latter is less often modeled but I really like the camo option. Lots of projects to finish before that, though.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks my friend @coling! Looking forward to se your DUKW: it will look awesome in 1/35!

In the meantime, I did a bit of work: I glued the side wheel covers on my small DUKW. I also added some liquefied styrene at the areas that the driving axles enter the body undersides, since large gaps were observed there. Here is the result:

It is really enjoyable to work at the DUKW, a pleasant break from my big 1/32 Sukhoi 27!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nice work on the LqS, Spiros @fiveten
    Must be difficult to switch between very big and pretty small.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew Alexander said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good, Spiros! I like these simple old Airfix armor kits, I'm currently finishing the WWI Mk. I Female Tank.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @johnb and @vacrat!

John, indeed, switching to the 1/76 DUKW from the 1/32 Sukhoi 27 was really something...

Andrew, indeed those simple, old Airfixes are so sweet kits, such a pleasure to put together! Looking forward to your Female Tank!

In the meantime, basic assembly of the DUKW is almost complete!

Maybe tomorrow some painting will be commenced...yes! by hand, with my trusty Humbrol Senator fine red sable brushes...just like old times!
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks already a bit like a boat, Spiros @fiveten
    Looking forward to your brush painting results, something really challenging.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

That’s a good looking little kit, Spiros. In 52 years of modeling, I have never built a 1/72/76 vehicle. Looking forward to the painting.