Revell German Submarine Type II B (1943) 1/144

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 34 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks threatening (in a good way), John (@johnb). You don't often see a Type II sub modeled, so it is fun to watch the build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for the compliment and suggestion David @davids_models, first I will try to build this sub and get it look nicely, later on I might add some crew.
    @fiveten, @gblair, thanks for your kind words.

After a nearly two weeks holiday I started working on the sub again.
    Baseplate was painted and coated. On the sub I added the propellors and the railing on the conning tower.

Next up will be mounting the guns and periscope.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nice restart, my friend @johnb!
    She looks super already!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good, John.

• Profile Photo

Looks great, John (@johnb). You need to tell us about your holiday so we can vicariously remember what holidays were like. The virus sucks. :o)

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @j-healy, thanks for your kind words.

@gblair, thank you George, our holiday was in the northwest of the Netherlands, a 2 hour drive up north from my hometown. We rented a small house, it was litterily called 'tiny house'. Sufficient for three persons if you didn't stay there all day. We spent most of the days sightseeing, by boat or bicycle or walking, this region of the Netherlands which is 3 meters below sea level on average. Impressive to see how they removed all the water in the 16th century using windmills.

• Profile Photo

Today some details were added to the Uboat, like railing, guns, periscope etc.
    Most of those tiny parts painted as well although some corrections are still required.
    Next part will be antennas, decals and coating.

• Profile Photo

Moving fast, my friend @johnb!
    May I assume the finish line being not that far away?

• Profile Photo

Everything works smoother after a nice break, John (@johnb). Vacation sounds awesome.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @gblair, holiday break did indeed help to get some fast progress.

This week I was able to make even more progress. Don't ask me were I did find free time, I have no idea, maybe I'm modelling more efficient.
    All parts are attached to the Uboat know, antenna wires, anchor, flagpole included.
    Decals, although not that many, are applied as well. They did came on nicely. Most difficult decal was the flag, the was one part and had to be folded around the pole.

Started to work on the weathering now.
    Following picture shows the right frontside without weathering and the second picture is the left frontside with weathering. Did try to add corrosion effects as well.

• Profile Photo

Flags are tough, John (@johnb). I don't have a good answer on how to do them better. Sub looks great.

• Profile Photo

This sub looks fantastic, my friend @johnb! It's really nice to see it coming together.
    Along with improved skills, surely you become more efficient model after model, this is pretty obvious.
    Love the weathering, it really brings this model to life.
    Looking forward to this super build!

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good! As for flags, The decal versions can be difficult. I like to brush them with a clear flat coating after they are mounted. This keeps them from getting brittle over time. There is a company in the UK that make cloth versions but I have not tried them. Others have put the decals on very thin plastic or foil. You can add "waves" by bending the plastic or foil with round tweezers then apply the decal.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, @fiveten, @davids_models, thanks for all the kind words.
    David, your tips are very welcome, I did coat the flag after finishing the build, let's see how long the decal lasts.

• Profile Photo

Today the last work on the Uboat was performed.
    Some more pictures will be taken and added with some information on the headlines.
    Thanks all for joining this thread and for all your helpfull comments.