StannArts - Luke Skywalker on Tauntaun WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 53 · 3 months ago · diorama, figure, Hoth, Luke Skywalker, Scifi, StannArts, Star Wars, Tauntaun
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

IMHO, this is one of the cooler kits from StannArts. David Stann produces beautiful 'garage' style model kits. The parts are rotocast in plastic and there are also some 3d printed parts for Luke's wrist com, hat antenna, light saber and blaster... and a few bits of the reigns and his stirrups. The kit is made of relatively large parts minimizing assembly. As you can see from the pics, the seams are not perfect nor are the really intended to be. The kit requires the builder to be able to do some minimal sculpting. Fur is really easy.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Almost nothing is attached but I just had to...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

This figure looks really cool, Brian @brithebuilder). I have been looking for something similar to print, but will need to check StannArts. Looking forward to your magic on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Another stunning entry, my friend @btithebuilder! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Those are very detailed sculptures, Brian @brithebuilder
    Looking forward to see those painted.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Adding your painting skills to that really interesting molded kit, there's going to be something pretty darn cool come into existence.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - If you're looking for cool stuff to print, and you don't already, check out MyMiniFactory.com - A lot of junk and a lot of amazing sculpture. This isn't 3D printed though, just a couple pieces of the kit.

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros! This really is a fantastic sculpture.

@johnb - Someday Han Solo on Tauntaun will be added.

@tcinla - Thanks Tom! I'm going to shoot for mostly movie accurate. With a definite lean toward visible details. The colors in the scene are mostly tan and grey...

• Profile Photo

Making progress, the connected parts are all done with sculpted fur transitions that I think turned out really well. Sculpting the little fur chunks was making me smile as it was actually working better than I hoped.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Brian (@brithebuilder): Blending looks great and will look better when covered with paint. What are you using for the filling/sculpting?

• Profile Photo

The fur looks superb, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

@gblair - Thanks! I pretty much only use Aves Apoxie Sculpt. It's nice and soft and sticky when you first mix it and it sculpts easily with water. You can continue to work it as it gets harder to enable you to sculpt finer details. Dries rock hard in an hour. You can paint it immediately, but I've never tried.

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros! I was able to add and enhance even more detail as it set up.

• Profile Photo

Here's a shot of the buckle I sculpted. I didn't realize I was covering a strap as I attached the tail so as I created the new strap I tried my hand at sculpting a buckle. I think it turned out pretty good. Should look great painted and weathered. Hopefully you won't even notice it.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Really creating some nice details, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo

Really nice sculpting on the missing buckle, Brian (@brithebuilder). The Apoxie Sculpt sounds like the perfect filler for larger gaps. I can see why having the ability to sculpt finer details as it hardens makes it so useful. I have similar gaps on some of the larger busts I have printed, but hadn't figured out how to fill them. Thanks for the info.

• Profile Photo

The buckle looks awesome, my friend @brithebuilder!