StannArts - Luke Skywalker on Tauntaun WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 53 · 3 months ago · diorama, figure, Hoth, Luke Skywalker, Scifi, StannArts, Star Wars, Tauntaun
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 4 months ago:

@johnb, @gblair, @fiveten - Thanks gentlemen! I did go back and adjust the buckle a little more after I realized it was a bit off center/lopsided.

• Profile Photo

The ears and horns have been attached and transitioned in, so... the Tauntaun should be done, I'm sure there will be some minor issues that are visible after priming. For now though, on to Luke.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months ago:

Hi Brian (@brithebuilder): I hadn't noticed a problem with the buckle. I understand you can use water to help smooth the Sculpt. I that what you used? I bought some Sculpt to try. I have a large 3D print of Indiana Jones that has some large gaps, so I thought I could give it a try. I checked out the StannArts website. There is some really interesting stuff for sale, but I was somewhat shocked by the prices. Are the parts for your figure cast or printed?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

Nice progress, brian @brithebuilder
    Hard to believe you will find some issues after priming.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - The white pieces are cast and there are some additional 3d printed elements. I do use water with Apoxie Sculpt. I use it to keep my tools from sticking to it as well as smoothing it out. You can even use a wet paint brush to smooth edges until they're almost invisible. It is also very carvable and sandable after it's dry.
    I'm ok with Stann's prices. His pieces are hand sculpted and then individually cast as he gets orders. I'm pretty sure his store is him and his wife.

@johnb - Thanks!... aren't there always issues after priming? LOL

• Profile Photo

Luke's arms are on. As the Apoxie Sculpt sets up, I'll be able to smooth it out a little more.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Fine tuned.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The one on the bottom is the kit part from StannArts. It's fine. I wasn't happy that the end of the holster is closed and there's no detail in a spot that will be visible. I decided I should just model my own. I spent the morning in 3ds Max building the DL44 Blaster that Luke carried in Empire. It took about 5 hours to model and a couple hours to print. Less than one day... not bad.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months ago:

The new blaster looks great, Brian (@brithebuilder). I just my Sculpt in the mail. I want to use it on several busts that had big gaps. Thanks for letting us know about this cool stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

@britthebuilder this is a great looking build. Thanks for all the tips throughout. As 3d prints become more popular these are helpful for all of us. Looking forward to further progress reports.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

@gblair - Thanks George. I hope you like to Aves' It's starts out sticky and soft so you can mash it in and do some basic shaping and after maybe 5 minutes you can start working some detail. Keep your tools damp, not soaked.

@coondog - Thanks Matt. Getting a $250 resin printer for Christmas last year has been amazing as a tool.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Excellent progress and great 3D printing, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 4 weeks ago:

Some serious work done, Brian @brithebuilder
    Your work on the blasters is amazing.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros! I seem to have a thing for details and Star Wars... weird. LOL
    @johnb - Thanks John! I appreciate it. I had a lot of fun modeling the blaster. I'm printing the 3rd and final version now. LOL... refer to the above comment!

• Profile Photo

I also 'fixed' the holster strap that connects to the belt. It's mostly covered so it doesn't matter too much, but it was essentially a wide strap of leather that made a mostly 90 degree turn. I added a fold and trimmed the corner to a curve. I wasn't going to, then it was the 90 and only the 90 degree corner every time I looked at it, so... modeler's OCD. It's better now. The strap, not the OCD. LOL

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.