StannArts - Luke Skywalker on Tauntaun WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 53 · 3 months ago · diorama, figure, Hoth, Luke Skywalker, Scifi, StannArts, Star Wars, Tauntaun
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Amazing attention to detail, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros! I appreciate it. It definitely would not have been necessary if I'd been using the kit blaster that can't be removed from the holster. It'd be mostly covered. With being able to remove the blaster now, that spot is going to be far more visible.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Impressive as usual, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo

@johnb- Thanks John. This one is definitely a little overboard. I have a Star Wars thing.

• Profile Photo

So, the blaster and holster are pretty great little add-ons, but the holster needed a strap or it looked a bit odd. I couldn't quite figure out a way to have a removable strap... until - magnets. Yeah, I know, I have issues. LOL

I had already modeled a pair of the electrobinoculars for the Sandtrooper build, so why not add them?... That did mean I'd have to model my own open case, so I also decided to replace the kit's electrobinocular case with my own. So, three iterations of printed cases and I have one that works quite well. The first one was just way too big, the second was sized better but it was too bendy and the binocs didn't sit well inside due to the front lens. The third version has a nice little 'foam' pad in the bottom for the lens to sit into. I do understand that all of this is obsessive and no one will likely ever know these details exist, but it'll make me smile every time I look at it.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The tauntaun's fur went very quickly with the airbrush. I blended using Black, Dark Grey, Neutral Grey, Dark Gull Grey, Light Gull Grey and Ivory. Seems excessive when I type it out, but it went fast. I didn't clean the airbrush in between, just added a bit darker color and stirred it in.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Important thing is that you know all these details are there, my friend @brithebuilder! Looking awesome so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Those details are amazing, Brian @brithebuilder
    Also the various blended shades of grey do look great.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

@fiveten - Exactly Spiros... and anyone who enters my basement will get the full show for a while. LOL
    @johnb - Thanks John, I do have some issues.

• Profile Photo

A bit of progress. I added a light grey wash to all the fur, then darkened the fur of the back even more. I'll go in now and drybrush the belly and inside of the legs up to a pretty bright white. Should look pretty close to 'right'... I also painted the saddle blanket a dark brown with a less dark brown for edge. It will get a dark brown wash, it's really dark as far as I can see. So much of this will actually end up being covered with snow so no need to worry too much, my version will be very close.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The darkened fur on the back gives it a nice contrast, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

The painting looks perfect, Brian (@brithebuilder), as well as the wash. Your added details really fill out the parts.

• Profile Photo

Quite a bit of progress. I think the fur may be finished... The saddle blanket and saddle have paint and wash applied, as well as all the other leather bits. Most of the accessories are close to done. Luke tomorrow then snow FX. I've never used Vallejo snow, so that'll be an adventure.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking awesome so far, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

Beautiful progress, Brian @brithebuilder