Trumpeter 1/32 TBD-1 Devastator WIP

Started by Tom Cleaver · 17 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months ago:

So, 20 years of vaporware is now solid plastic in a box on my work bench.

What have we got?

Overall, this is an excellent kit. Trumpeter has made the same smart move here they made with their SBD Dauntless kits: scale up the best, most accurate 1/48 kit. The Dauntlesses were the Accurate Miniatures kit scaled up. This is the Great Wall Hobby kit scaled up and modified.

That’s good news.

Taping the fuselage and lower wing parts together shows that fit is overall excellent. Ditto the upper wing. You will have no difficulty whether you choose wings folded or extended.

The open canopy can be stacked properly, and that fits to the fuselage correctly. Both options, open or closed, offer extremely clear plastic parts.

The cockpit is sufficiently detailed to suit most, while leaving room for super-detailers to have at it.

Surface detailing is overall excellent, and accurate compared with photos.

With an overall parts count of 180, this will not be a difficult kit to assemble. The sprue gates are thick and strong, and stand proud of parts. I recommend you use a sprue cutter rather than an X-Acto knife, to insure you don’t damage the parts taking them off the sprues.

Kit decals allow a modeler to do a pre-war airplane from VT-2, and a wartime airplane from what appears to be either VT-5 or VT-6 (unfortuntely the instructions do not identify the unit) at any period from January 1942 through the Battle of the Coral Sea. The decals have good register.

You cannot make a Midway TBD with what’s in the box, since the twin-30 mount for the rear gunner is not included. All three squadrons at Midway had the twin mount. There is a reliable rumor that a leading aftermarket company is already at work on a 3D printed twin mount.

Overall, this kit lives up to people’s hopes over the years that when and if Trumpeter did release the kit, it would be the work of their “A” Team.

I’ll be doing mine in pre-war markings, using the Gold Medal Models “Early Devastators Part 1" decal sheet, which is excellent. There are three GMM decal sheets for this model, available from the Squadron Shop.

Overall assessment: Buy. In. Confidence.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months ago:

Thanks for the preview, my friend @tcinla!
    A great kit!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 10 months ago:

Resin2Detail or R2D has a 3D printed twin.30 mount in 1/32 for the SBD/SB2C. So problem solved.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months ago:

Seems like a very satisfying kit, Tom @tcinla
    Looking forward to see yours being build.

• Profile Photo

@kahu -not quite - photos show difference between the TBD mount and the later ones you see on the SBD and SB2C. This is the early mount with not as much armor, plus the ammo was in cans, not belts.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 10 months ago:

Thanks for the clarification. Don't think I have seen photos of the early twin mount.

• Profile Photo

With this kit out, people are finding them now because they're looking.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months ago:

Thanks for the preview, Tom (@tcinla). I can't wait for mine to show up. I just saw some 3D printer files for a twin mount the other night, but I didn't notice which site had the files. As good as I am printing stuff on my 3D printer, I think I will wait until I can buy one.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - I'm doing mine as the Squadron CO's airplane VT-6 on Enterprise the summer of 1940 - full yellow wings.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Here's progress - I painted the cockpit Bronze Green, s it would have appeared in 1940-41. Some who have done the cockpit in aluminum have said it's a bit sparse; painting it Bronze Green makes that a little less obvious.

The model assembles well. I only use CA glue to cover the fuselage centerline seam, and the seam where the rear of the lower wing part mates to the fuselage. Sanded all smooth and then rescribed detail.

The white squares on the fuselage are .010 Evergreen sheet, to make the covers of the spring-loaded kick-in steps. Trumpeter gets this wrong, with the step being open without the kick-in door.

Also, the fire extinguisher bottles were polished brass, not red.

The model is being painted now. I'll take some shots tomorrow. the upper wings, nose ring and tail are painted; I will mask and then prime the fuselage with Tamiya X-1 Gloss Black, then paint the fuselage with Vallejo Semi-Matte Aluminum, which should look about the same as the aluminum lacquer finish. This should be ready for a review at Modeling Madness this coming week.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

The interior looks very nice this way, Tom @tcinla
    Great looking fire extinguisher as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great progress, my friend @tcinla!
    Looking forward to the shots of the painted model!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Finished. Review at Modeling Madness on Thursday.

The kit was obtained from Squadron and I used their Gold Medal Models decals from the "TBD Part 1" sheet.

All in all, no real problems other than self-created (that "stack" of canopies should only have the eensy-tiniest bit of CA glue to hold things in position - I got a little window fogging from not doing hat).

The result is impressive.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

An impressive build of a colorful Devastator. Can't wait for the full article.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Congratulations my friend @tcinla! Another winner! Looking forward to the M2 posting!