1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon Mk.IB

Started by Tom Bebout · 55 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 6 years ago:

Tom,
    Great start on this and I look forward to seeing the finished bird.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years ago:

Fantastic work Tom! Great details in that cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years ago:

Finally got a little bench time to work on the Typhoon. I've decided to finish her with the door open so the upper fuselage parts were installed. You have the option to build the fuselage as either an open or closed door configuration. Consequently two canopies are included with the kit. No real issues were anticipated but a small crack appeared when the fuselage halves were joined together A little putty solved that problem.

The top and bottom of the wings were joined and I drilled out the lower wing to attach the bomb racks, I intend to add the two bombs included with the kit on this model. Next was to attach the gun sleeves and to then drill out the gun barrels. Added the rear horizontal stabilizers and I believe a visit to the paint shop will be in order very soon. I'm still trying to determine what color was used directly behind the cockpit. British interior green or the camouflage color used on the fuselage?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 years ago:

Nice work here Tom.

FWIW for future builders of this kit: if you attach the separate cockpit area pieces to their respective fuselage halves before proceeding further, you can work the fit from inside and outside, which will lessen any gaps to be sealed and sanded down. You'll get a little gap along the centerline, which can be filled with a length of .010 Evergreen strip and sanded down without mess. This bit of poor fit is the one "ding" I have about this kit.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Tom B, the interior paint specs changed for the Tiffie during the cardoor use. The interior went from RAF interior green to black. Me, I'd leave the green, and do the upper part/decking in black. Makes a contrast, always a good thing. Others may know more! Transitional, what!

• Profile Photo

That happened with the bubbletop. The cardoor is overall British Interior Green.

• Profile Photo

Finally got to the paint shop.

I'm going to paint the canopy separately then attach it because of the open door. We'll see how that goes. This also has invasion strips on the bottom wing so the painting of this guy gets a little complicated for me. Nothing ventured nothing gained, wish me luck.

• Profile Photo

Those were Typhoon ID stripes. Black 12", white 24". To identify the airplane to British anti-aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

Hello Tom.
    I don't know what is "correct" to use under the canopy. I have seen three different colors used by various builders.

Some have used flat black (even on the early car door type), some have used British Interior Green, and even some folks have used the color of the surrounding camouflage.

This is a question above my pay grade !

However, I did find this photo ...

Hope this helps...

Your Tiffie is looking great !

• Profile Photo

The area under the rear canopy was commonly painted flat black, as is the coaming over the instrument panel in front. Typhoon cockpits were overall British Grey-Green. HTH

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

TC, I always thought the Tiffie I/D underwing stripes were a comment on British aircraft identification standards. Bigger than a FW, thinks I. If it flys, it dies, sez they.

• Profile Photo

Actually, if you look at the planview of a Fw-190 and a Fw-190A-3/A-4, and give yourself 5 seconds to decide which is what (without seeing insignia) the airframes are "close enough" - both have a short nose with a big spinner. I've held models up together and the difficulty of an instant ID is obvious. So no wonder they needed all the ID they could get. The Germans on their side of the Channel had time. The British going up against tip-and-run raids didn't.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

"If it flys, it dies, sez they". You are an absolute star, Bernard.

• Profile Photo

I my day it was" shoot em all down and sort them out on the ground." Aircraft visual rec was always a problem when dealing with young trigger happy troops.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years ago:

Very nice indeed Tom - the pilot reports all talk about the sheer speed and power of the Typhoon!