A group of Eight various 1/48 Spitfires………. Four Airfix and Four Tamiya, Mk 1 to the FR 46 / 47

Started by Louis Gardner · 332 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for demonstrating how and why I will never do this. Keep on! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Here's another update:

Fuselage sidewalls for the Airfix Mk 1.

The fuselage area for the front windscreen, Airfix Mk 1.
    I'm building the early Mk1 version, so this part is used. There are two of these supplied in the kit. The other one is for the armored wind screen glass.

Fuselage bulkhead, Airifx Mk 1

The instrument panel is affixed to this part. The compass has been glued in position. Airfix Mk1

Pilots seat. Notice no armor plate, Airfix Mk1

David Mills had a question about the depression located in the center of the seat. From what I have read, this was there to allow room for a small compressed air bottle for the pilot's inflatable "dinghy", which he sat on during missions. Later this dinghy was removed, but the depression remained there, making it even more uncomfortable for the pilot...

Rudder pedals and joystick... Airfix Mk1

Lower wing with landing gear wheel wells and main spars attached. The landing gear attachment points have also been installed. Airfix Mk Vb. I still need to build this part for the Mk1... maybe tomorrow ?

The Airfix Mk Vb has two fuselage sections where the windscreen attaches. I have both ready for painting. The difference is just as it is on the Mk1, and will be determined by the glass I choose to install. Armored or not is the choice...

Airfix Mk Vb. Fuselage bulkhead and instrument panel bulkhead with compass. The IP has yet to be added...

The side walls of the cokpit "tub" for the Airfix Mk Vb. One of these is different from the Mk1 version.

This next picture shows various bits assembled and ready for paint. The rudder pedal / joystick assembly, firewall, and fuselage side entry door. I may install the door in the open position on this one... I'm not sure just yet. Airifx Mk Vb.

The pilots seat. Notice the armored plate is installed on this one... Airfix Mk Vb. They really have some great details molded in this kit. I really don't see the need for anything after market other than some seat harnesses...

This last photo shows the Eight plastic parts containers, filled with Spitfire parts ready to paint...

I may spray some colors tomorrow...

As usual,
    "Comments are encouraged"...

Good night, and Happy 4th of July America !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Further proof you are in serious need of one of those fancy jackets with the long sleeves. 🙂

• Profile Photo

The misses tells me that from time to time. 🙂

My friend David LS does too on occasion. You guys might be on to something there...

Today was busy but not much time for building at the work bench. Other life duties took precedence. It happens on occasion and tomorrow may be a carbon copy of today. Time will tell.

I did manage to build up the other wing for the Airfix Mk 1 Spitfire.

Here you can see the two wings sitting side by side.

I added the smaller cooler under the wing on the Mark 1 Spitfire.

The one for the Mk V was a 4 part affair and I decided I didn't want to fool with it tonight. By adding the cooler part on the Mk 1 wing I can keep them where they need to be a little easier.

After posting the pictures of the two wings, I noticed that the Mk V has two large "bumps" under each Cannon, so in all actuality it was not necessary to install the cooler as a recognition aid.

It's not much progress but I'll take it.

As usual
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo

Here's another update from the "Iron Werks"... Somehow, (since I'm building Spitfires), this just doesn't sound quite right. Maybe Castle Bromwich would sound better ?

I spent some time building up the Tamiya Spitfires. I started by assembling the parts that I prepped a few days ago... and ended up with four cockpit assemblies...

The Mk 1's are on the right side, and the Mk V's (one is a tan color) are on the left in this picture shown below.

Then I decided I would assemble the fuselage halves, starting with the Mk V's first.

The lower engine cowling / "Vokes" filter was glued together, and the normal lower cowling was readied for the other Mk V.

While on the roll, I gave the Mk 1's the same treatment...

I'll leave you with these two photos...

In case you are wondering, I didn't notice any differences between the Tamiya Mk V and the Mk 1 fuselage parts. They looked the same, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking at each and every little detail.

Maybe tomorrow I can spray on some "RAF Interior Gray Green", and possibly some aluminum too...

As usual,
    "Comments are encouraged"...

Thanks for looking !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Over the last few days I have made some great progress on the Spitfires and the Hurricane builds. I sprayed on some RAF interior green, some flat black and some aluminum colors.

Since it's getting late, tonight's post will be limited to just the PRU Mk XIX Spitfire.

I installed the under wing radiators

Here's the pilot's seat and fuselage bulkhead

The instrument panel.

The camera mount

The control stick with the rudder pedals

And finally the fuselage interior walls.

These parts still need some more detail paint work before I assemble this one any further.

The other Spitfire kits are at the same stage. The Hurricane builds are even a little farther along.

I'll try to post some more pictures of the progress on the other kits tomorrow sometime.

As usual,
    comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Louis, good work so far! I never cease to be amazed by your bench work pace, no matter how much free time you have to dedicate to the hobby.
    I’m really looking forward for one specific Spit...the PR version. Will you go for the blue or the pink camouflage in this one? Damm 8 kits in the works must be some sort of record 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 9 months ago:

You’ve set up a miniature Castle Bromwich! I’ve built all of those, but no more then two at a time and I thought that was too much! Looking forward to seeing them finished.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Louis when are too many Spitfires never enough ? --------- always, good work so far !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro !
    I have been looking forward to building the 1/48 Airfix PR Mk. XIX for as long as I have had it in the stash. This GB is the perfect reason and timing. It's simply an elegant plane, and so far I have had one vote for the overall PRU Blue with the D-Day Invasion stripes on it. This one will be in overall PRU Blue, I just haven't nailed down the final paint scheme yet.

I picked up the idea of doing multiple builds a few years ago when I ran across another person online doing something similar. He was building multiple Tiger Tanks, and I believe the last count was 12 or 13 of them at the same time... and I think they were all in 1/35 scale if memory serves me. That must be the record 🙂 not my miniature version of "Castle Bromwich".

• Profile Photo

John,
    I have to admit, I spent some time looking at your Spitfire builds in the articles you posted. They are what helped to inspire me to jump in and build up some of mine from the stash. Your builds look fantastic, and serve as a valuable reference to others (me included).

In particular, I like the 1/32 scale Revell Mk II two part article you wrote. The very early Spitfires and the latest versions are my favorites. But it's hard to pick just one... so I did a little from each era. Please continue to follow along, and I hope to have a few more updates tomorrow with some decent pictures of the latest progress.

By the way, your FAA Corsairs and Hellcats are among my favorites !

• Profile Photo

Paul,
    Thanks for posting the photo ! I'll have to save a copy for my computer. I may even print that one out and frame it ! It would look great hanging on a wall in the hobby room / "Man Cave".

Outstanding my friend... Thank you. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Allan,
    Rumor has it the limit is "officially" set to nine Spitfires...

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Air Brush. Then shalt thou count to nine, no more, no less. Nine shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be Nine. Eight shalt thou not count, neither count thou ten, excepting that thou then proceed to Nine. Five is right out. Once the number nine, being the ninth number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.

Armaments, Chapter Two, verses "Nine" to Twenty one...

Besides, I only have 4 more unbuilt Spitfires in the stash. They are all Hasegawa 1/48's... maybe later.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

OMG...I use to watch Monty Python (TV show) when I was modelling as a tween! I've got the entire show on DVD plus the almighty 'Holy Grail'! Love it.