A group of Eight various 1/48 Spitfires………. Four Airfix and Four Tamiya, Mk 1 to the FR 46 / 47

Started by Louis Gardner · 332 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

There's such a lot to take in here, Louis! I am up to my neck in it with life at present - no serious issues just non-stop action at home and work - I have only just caught up on this thread - thanks for your advice on the Hurri and Spit (Airfix) I'll pay good attention! As this progresses it becomes more mind-bogling and just plain impressive! Outstanding, Louis!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Nice work, Louis. I still prefer the Tamiya Mk. I/Vb to the Airfix kits. I’m a big fan of Airfix’ new kits but they really dropped the ball with that butt joined landing gear.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks gents for the kind words.

Paul please don't hesitate to ask any questions if you have any along the way... I'll try my best to answer correctly and be prompt. I'm happy to hear that things are going well for you my friend.

Hello John,
    I agree the Tamiya kit is a real gem. So far it has been really fun to build, no problems encountered, and the fit has been spot on.

I'm not too happy with the landing gear on the new Airfix kits. It looks like the weakest link in the kit so far. The details are rather nice, and they give you a lot of options for the price. The fit isn't quite as nice as the Tamiya kit, but it's pretty close.

• Profile Photo

Today I worked some more on the Spitfires... Please follow along and I'll explain what has been done.

It all started when I decided it was time to spray the cameras for the new tool Airfix PR XIX Spitfire.

I was using the same color I sprayed on the wheels for the original Spitfire builds. Since I added a few more Spitfires when I decided to build the remaining 1/48 scale kits in the stash, I needed to spray the wheels for the new additions. Since I had the color loaded in the air brush, ... You know the drill.

I marked them so as not to get them mixed up during the process. Once they dry, I will put them back into the correct box.

From some online research, it looks as if the camera mounts were made out of wood on the real plane. I'm not 100 percent sure about this, but I decided to paint the areas with Model Master "Wood" enamel color.

Then before it was completely dry, I dry brushed on some "Rust" color, and mixed the two colors slightly using thinner.

By now the paint on the cameras had dried, so I installed them after the detail paint work was done... I initially was going to open up the fuselage side camera doors, but this will take away from the beautiful lines on the Mk XIX. So most of this detail paint work will probably not be seen. I still have not completely decided though. There's still time to cut away the doors... and show off these cameras.

What do you think about this ? Open doors and show the cameras or keep it closed and sleek ?

Next I installed the clear parts, which was one of the last steps that needed to be completed before I started spraying on the upper camouflage colors. Next will be a few pictures showing the various Spitfires.

Tamiya Mk 1's

a close up of one Tamiya Mk 1.

Tamiya Mk Vb's. Somehow I managed to break off one of the main landing gear legs on the Tropicalized tan one... 🙁

Lastly, the Airfix Mk 1.

Next step will probably be to finish up the building of the Airfix Mk Vb, which will be painted as a George Beurling "Malta" Spitfire.

I also want to complete building the Airfix PR XIX plane too, as it should be fairly easy to spray in a monotone finish. I still have not decided completely as to what exact decal version I will build the PR plane as.

Earlier in the build journal, I posted pictures of the various PR Spitfires for the AM decal set. Do you all have any favorites ? I was leaning towards a D-Day build with invasion stripes, or a "Post War" plane with the later style roundels.

I am seriously considering painting one of the Tamiya MK Vb's as a plane flown by "Sailor Malan" with the fuselage codes "AGM". The gray plastic one with the standard wing tips will be used for this.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Good night.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Louis, the man - the legend! Personally I'd go with the invasion stripes for the contrast. I think it would really put the model apart. IMHO, just do want fits you. As for the idea of showing off the cameras, it would be a shame to hide the work you put into it, but would it add to the build finish? Only you can decide really. I think it would be cool, but I'm a newbie in this current game.

Wow, you can definitely see the difference in the quality of your kits compared to the Revell molds. First obvious one is the radio mast is molded on the Revell fuselage where your versions are not. No problems since mine is more of a nostalgic trip then anything.

Things are looking good at the Factory!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Epic build Louis, and an Epic build thread, if I may say so, nice mix of photos and text - carry on... looking forward to the next episode!
    Loved the wing assembly/vokes filter bit - I'm going to try that next time!
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Very interesting build log. Learning a lot about WW2 aircraft. Thanks louis for sharing.

• Profile Photo

James,
    I have been thinking about building that one for the same reasons. It would look great with some white and black invasion stripes on it... The reason I need to decide is this:

The plane with the invasion stripes didn't have a pressurized cockpit. Because of this, the small air intake on the Port side of the engine needs to be removed. That was a feature found only on planes with a pressurized cockpit. Then I need to fill the area in with putty for a smooth finish...

As far as the camera bays, I still haven't decided yet on that either... but I need to soon, as this "operation" to open the doors needs to be done before the interior parts are added. They are marked, but I still have a little worry that I may mess something up with a slip of the blade as I'm trimming the door openings. So the jury is still out on that one... but not for long as you will see in the next update.

David,
    Thanks for the kind words. I try to keep it interesting as I go. I made another deviation from the Airfix plans on the PR Mk XIX last night. Please follow along with the next installment. It's a short story, but I hope you'll enjoy it... 🙂

Peter,
    I knew some things about the Spitfire before I started this journey.

One thing I am realizing during these multiple builds, (especially since I'm building Spitfires from the early ones to the last ones), is exactly how "Little" I actually know about Spitfires !

It has been a learning adventure for me too my friend... 🙂

and that's a good thing.

• Profile Photo

Here's a short report of the progress I made last night on the Airfix PR Mk XIX.

The kit instructions would have you build the entire prop assembly and install it when the fuselage halves are joined together. I don't want to go this route, as it will be a real "pain" to mask off for the painting process later.

After some thought, I decided to "borrow" an idea from various Tamiya kits. It involves the use of their "poly caps" as a method to secure the prop. I just so happened to have a spare Tamiya Poly Cap, and it was almost the same size as the original Airfix part which can be seen on the left.

So this is what I did. It may look a little crude, since I didn't have the exact materials needed at hand. I had to improvise a little, since the prop shaft didn't fit exactly. I heated the poly cap a little and melted it so make the end a little smaller so that it would grip the prop shaft... This worked like a charm.

Then I made this rather ugly looking retainer out of round tube stock.

It works however, and will not be seen once the fuselage halves are glued together...

Then to secure the poly cap from falling into the fuselage as the prop was pushed on, I simply added another scrap piece of flat plastic sheet to keep this from happening.

Here are the various prop parts that come in the kit.

They are keyed with a small slot way.

The prop has a key way too.

as does the prop shaft.

This is how they fit together... but this is only a test fit. No glue has been applied yet.

The spinner temporarily placed over the assembly... This is beautifully streamlined.

And this shows how the poly cap will eventually be used. I simply pressed the assembly into the poly.

I just couldn't resist this next picture... with the spinner in place just to see how it will eventually look.

This shows how the fuselage will be when I'm ready to paint it. Now the prop can be added later. This will make things much easier.

Today's project will be adding some instrument panel decals, as the kit panel is missing a few details.

I'm hoping the individual decals will be worth the effort... I also have some seat belts to add later on... I'll be using these decals on some of the Spitfires to help dress them up a little.

First some more research on what type of harness was used on the different Marks...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Loved the shots of the three Spitfires on the bench together, particularly the early B&W bird. This thread really does make for great reading and it’s terrific entertainment even at 114 not out. Hell, thinking of that - what DO you American types make of cricket?

• Profile Photo

Hello David !

It's great to hear from you. I don't know too much about the game, and I'm fairly certain that most Americans don't know that much about the game. Most Americans are more into Baseball, Basketball, and our "Football", not to be confused with your "soccer"... 🙂 just kidding with you my friend.

It does look as if someone took the game of cricket, and stole the idea to form the game of baseball... funny looking bats they use ! Almost like Jai Lai ...

or more like the paddles used by school principles and teachers back in the day when punishment was allowed... (when a kid got a little "unruly"). Not that I would know... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Crickets? I usually spray the front end of the truck down with Pam (a cooking release agent) before driving on the country back roads. I find that they wash right off after a long trip. 🙂

• Profile Photo

WD-40 works too James, as does a good heavy coat of wax. We use it to keep the "love bugs" from damaging the paint when they appear each May and September.

Crickets could also be a wireless phone service provider ... not to be confused with "Crikey" as our Australian friends are known to say on occasion.

Or a little insect you can use for bait when you're fishing ! Like the ones James occasionally has to wash away from the hood (or the "bonnet") of his truck.

I just looked it up and it seems that our English friend David was referring to the number of postings on this building journal to the number of what we Americans would call "pitches" in baseball ?

Wow... who would have thought a single inning has 20 "overs" ... with a 120 "deliveries".

Just a wild guess. Good stuff David.

and I learned something new today...

Thanks my friend.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

“Our English friend, David”. Oh, boy, oh boy, Louis. A wee part o’ ma soul just dei’d and went tae hell faster than a ferret up a kilt, laddie.

• Profile Photo

Louis, yes I've used WD-40 before. Btw, my last Dodge truck had a full Bra. Wish I could have gotten one for my current truck. Not only kept the bugs off but protected the front from rocks and what not. Since I don't Rodeo anymore, I really don't need one, but it would be a nice add.

David, you must forgive some of us "Rednecks" over here in the colonies. For some, we don't know the difference between a Scotsman, an Irish lad, a Canuck or an Aussie. To us, your all either Brits or Englishmen. 😉 I've always considered anyone from over the pond as being East Texan.

Speaking of Kilts...how did your have a problem with a zipper?

BTW @dirtylittlefokker, I prefer Speyside single malts.