a Pair of 1/48 Early Hurricanes………. Airfix Mk 1, and a Classic Airframes ”cloth wing” version

Started by Louis Gardner · 106 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I was finally able to get the decals applied on these two Hurricanes. Here are a few pictures to show you how they look at the moment.

First up is the Classic Airframes "Cloth Wing" early Mk 1.

Next we have the Airfix Mk 1 painted as "LRoR". Luckily I was finally able to find a photo showing the Squadron codes as they were applied on the Starboard side. I didn't have this information on the decal instruction sheet. But this is proper.

I'm not too happy with the slight white "Ghost ring" that is visible on some of the roundels. To me it looks like the white was not centered properly and it is a little noticeable. I don't think I have anything in the decal spares to replace these, and I don't want to risk damaging them by touching this problem up with paint.

Then I couldn't resist placing them together.

Hopefully I can wrap these two up soon.

I'm calling it a night.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

A steady hand and a 0000 brush can fix this. Get some "drafting tape" (available at art supply stores), it's very low-tack - make a circular mask, cover the insignia, and carefully go around it. I've done this many times and any modeler as talented and experienced as you are can do it without difficulty.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 7 months ago:

The pair is looking good Louis.

It’s been some time since I drop by this thread and you made some serious progress. Going last to paint the luminous underside is a very wise idea, considering how fragile that paint is to handling, but masking the whole upper surfaces of the Hurricane must have been a pain 🙂

Tom suggestion is a good one. You can get ride of those tiny white rings with a fine brush a steady hand and some circular mask. Just make sure the whole area of the roundel has received some varnish to seal and protect the decal. Keep it up!

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents for the compliments and the suggestions on how to fix this... I'll keep you posted as to what happens next.

• Profile Photo

Earlier today I sprayed on the matt clear finish on these two Hurricanes. I wanted to seal the decals and get them ready for the next step.

I still have not decided on what I'm going to do as far as the white rings on the roundels of the metal wing Mk 1. Now I can safely mask and repaint them, or if I'm fortunate enough to get a few replacement decals, I can simply add them over the top of the existing ones.

Here's how the metal wing Hurricane looked after it's matt finish treatment. I parked it next to the cloth wing to demonstrate the difference.

Then the cloth wing Hurricane received the same treatment...

Here's how they look at the moment.

I didn't spray the matt finish on top of the Aluminum Dope color. Instead I left it gloss, but it's not too shiny.

They are now ready for the next steps. Thanks for looking. 🙂

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Looking really sharp now, Louis. The clothwing is looking particularly striking and I love the early scheme with the night and white only on the underside of the wings. Pretty much the same as my efforts.

Beautiful work - as ever. Really impressive stuff!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you Paul for the compliments, but especially for the spare decals !

Our good friend Paul sent me some spare RAF roundels from his stash... and saved the day on the Airfix Hurricane. What a good fellow !

I can sincerely say that I have been very fortunate to make some great friends here on this web site.

• Profile Photo

Here's what happened a few minutes ago:

If you have been following along, then you remember a little while back when I noticed the small white ghost rings on the National Insignia RAF Roundels.

This problem was solved today. I received a letter in the mail from Paul who graciously sent me a set from his spares to replace the after market ones I used on this Airfix kit.

I had been thinking about how to remove the old decals once I had replacements. I thought about using tape to pull them off the model, and it worked like a charm ! You can see the undersides of the decals stuck on the blue tape. The roundels look white from underneath.

Here's how the first attempt turned out. Now the wing markings are removed. Good so far...

The fuselage was little tricky, since there were fuselage codes very close ...

But this turned out great too. The new decals Paul supplied worked like a charm... No white ghost rings were present and they were the perfect size for what I needed.

Here's how the new ones look on the fuselage:

The new wing insignias snuggled down very nicely too... These wre a little bit larger than the originals, but they still look great.

Here's how the Airfix Hurricane looks at the moment.

Full speed ahead ! Next step is to let these dry overnight, and then I'll spray some more "flattening agent" on top of the new decals. This should blend the new decals into the back ground and make them look painted on. It will also reduce the shine on the wing roundels, making everything look more even in appearance.

Thanks again Paul.

You saved the day.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Good to see you learned that lesson. It's the only way to take up decals.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Looking fantastic as ever Louis, expertly done - glad to be able to help one of the ‘legends’ of the RAF100 GB in some small way.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Pretty nifty work on replacing those decals Louis!
    Super finish on both aircraft, I find its not always easy to get matt finishes right, but I like yours - what matt cote did you use?
    The undersides are both quite striking - the look of the clothwing with the roundels and codes and aluminium dope finish is superb.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Awesome recover Luis!

• Profile Photo

Thanks gentlemen for the compliments.

As far as the type of luster less clear coat, I use a home brew mix that I came up with.

I use Tamiya X-21 which is a flat acrylic base. Make sure that you mix it up very well. If you don't then you take the chance of having a bunch of little white specs trapped inside the clear. I sometimes add a little 70 percent rubbing alcohol into the Tamiya X-21, as this helps you to get it mixed better.

Then I mix the stirred X-21Flat Base into the clear acrylic future.

I use a small disposable plastic cup to stir everything together.

The more X-21 flattening agent you use mixed in with your Future, the more flat the appearance is going to be once it dries.

I also thin the mixture again, using regular rubbing alcohol.

I typically use a 50 / 50 ratio between the future and the alcohol. The rubbing alcohol will evaporate out as this dries. The idea is to allow the clear to float out evenly as it dries. The alcohol helps to do this by extending the drying time. The longer it takes to dry, the better it will flow out.

Stir the concoction very well and spray it on in very light coats. It can also make the overall colors look a shade or two lighter once everything dries.

You need to be careful about not spraying on a dry coat, as this will also cause the finish to look white, almost a frosted look.

I highly recommend you try this out first on a scrap part or a junker model. ( No not your beautifully finished ICM Ju-88 A-5, even though it is technically a Junkers too ).

Hopefully this will help.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Good job there Louis, well done and some use-full info, thanks.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan and I hope that someone else can benefit from the posting about the matt finish clear.

I mixed up some more of it earlier today...

And promptly sprayed it on the new decals that Paul sent me. I had a little extra left in the air brush so I did a little touch up work on the BP Defiant too.

I had the "mojo" going full speed ahead and got in the zone with the Airfix Hurricane. Before I knew it I had the exhaust painted and installed.

The propeller was mounted...

And the pilots wind screen was removed then polished and reinstalled. The cockpit is looking fantastic (at least to me anyhow).

I installed the landing gear

and now it's sitting on its feet.

You can't see them in the pictures, but I also added the pitot tube and the entry step. I decided that I would not add the wing mounted gun camera since I didn't see them on the leading edge of the wing in very many pictures.

So this part is in the spares bin now.

All this one is lacking is the radio antenna mast, and the rest of the clear parts. It's almost finished !

I also painted the kidney exhaust for the CA Hurricane.

Possibly tomorrow I can wrap these two up.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking !