Inventory

• 83 posts
  • Last reply 1 week, 2 days ago
  • Group, Inventory, RAF, RAF100
Viewing 76 - 83 of 83 posts
  • Tom Cleaver said 2 weeks ago:

And #100 of previous builds:

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire I – Flt. Lt. R.R. Stanford-Tuck, 92 Squadron at Dunkirk, May 1940

Victory Productions Decals: “Spitfire: Aces of the Empire”

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Allan J Withers said 2 weeks ago:

Some lovely builds there Tom and # 100, well done.

• Allan J Withers said 2 weeks ago:

Paul, one helicopter is not enough !! this will also fill the gap in timeline, 84 Sqn RAF, Cyprus 1987.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Paul Barber said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Very apt that the Cleaver/Stanford-Tuck combination is the 100th in RAF100! Fantastic stuff! After a brief modelling hiatus at the Comm Games I will now get ‘back to business’ after neglecting the admin here!

Allan, brilliant – after your sensational Lynx for the YOTC GB (among your other great contributions) this is going to be fantastic! Can’t wait!

• Tom Cleaver said 1 week, 2 days ago:

I had the privilege at the 1984 American Fighter Aces Association Convention to be “vouched for” by Chuck Yeager, who I had driven around and done all the things a “movie flunky” does on The Right Stuff, so all the Real Guys took me seriously. I was friends with Jimmy Goodson and his wingman Bob Wehrman, and so that Saturday night, I kept my mouth shut at our table and paid attention as Gunther Rall joked with Hub Zemke about nearly bleeding to death as he parachuted from the airplane Zemke shot down, shooting off his thumb in the last burst; as Bob Stanford-Tuck (the kind of Brit we Yanks become Anglophiles for) and his good buddy Adolf Galland caught up with each other, as Jimmy and Walter “Count Punski” Krupinski talked about chasing each other – I will never forget Krupinski telling me how, when he had III/JG26 set for a “company front” attack, known to the bombers as “Twelve O’Clock High,” that “Just before I gave the order to advance throttles for the attack, my entire life passed before me – 20 percent of us were going to die in collisions, and no one could know who.”

The next morning over breakfast, Jimmy said something pretty profound: “We all had more in common with each other than we did with the rest of those on our respective sides.”

Stanford-Tuck was such a superior Englishman to both Douglas Bader and Johnny Johnson, both of whom I had met the year before – both the kind of condescending Brits to the “former colonists” that made me glad my ancestors had given you “lobsterbacks” the boot 200 years previously.

Apart, of course, from turning everyone completely green with envy with those names, and once again making me question why the English ever chose to go to war dressed in red, I’d have to say that ‘we’ too have a view on Bader – for all he achieved he was recognised as a right royal pain in the backside and someone who looked down on those below his rank. When working out which Mk 1 Spitfire to do for this GB I chose Willie McKnight’s instead of Bader’s for that very reason – although in terms of RAF history I should certainly have included him…

• Tom Cleaver said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Meeting Bader was one of the great disappointments of my life. Read “Reach For The Sky” as a kid the first time, thought of him as an inspiration for a long time. And then to see him live down to every story I had heard of him (you should have heard what Galland had to say about dealing with him during the making of Battle of Britain)… sad. Johnson’s autobiography was the first “real book” I bought with my own money at age 11 when a guy was crazy enough to open a book store in the neighborhood market street. Getting that condescension from him was also a big pain. But I can say that way too many aces are disappointments as people on meeting them.

But the really good ones are worth it. That weekend in 1984 was one of the great times of my life.

Viewing 76 - 83 of 83 posts