Brewster F2A Buffalo VMF-221

Started by Frank Steffens · 34 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frank Steffens said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I will be building Tamiya's 1:48 Buffalo as the mount of 2nd Lt. Kunz of VMF-221 at Midway. I've got the kit, and the decals, but I have yet to start the research. I have a Tamiya Ki-61 Hien on the workbench now, but once that's done, I'll be diving into this project.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for joining the Midway Group Build. It looks like you have a nice subject picked out. You don't see too many Buffalo's built up, much less in Midway markings. Excellent choice...

Please keep us updated as time permits, and welcome aboard !

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Frank, the kit as it comes out of the box, is a F2A-2. The buffalo's at Midway were -3's. They had a longer fuselage and a different prop hub. There are conversion kits out there
    Special Hobby makes a -3 with Midway markings...

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Frank,
    Here's the conversion set you need for a Midway Buffalo. I haven't used this particular set, but I have used the one to convert the Tamiya Buffalo to the one the Finn's used. It was very straight forward and a great first resin conversion if you don't have much experience with those.
    I have no connection with this auction whatsoever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AeroMaster-HT-4-F2A-3-Buffalo-Conversion-Kit-Scale-1-48-J4-/152448989601?hash=item237eaaf9a1:g:V8cAAOSwtfhYsJ3f

Hope this helps,
    Rick Wilkes

• Profile Photo

Thanks Rick! I went the other route and bought the Special Hobby kit.

And Freddie... I have two of the Tamiya B339 kits...I'll build one as an RAF bird and the other as either RNZAF or Dutch East Indies for the AAM allied planes case.

• Profile Photo

Works for me Frank! You can also do a "Yellow Wings" F2A-2.

• Profile Photo

In response to Rick's suggestion, of using the F2A-3 conversion set: I have built one and used the set, and it is really an easy fix, and works out well. Below is my converted Tamiya F2A-2, to a -3, using the Aeromaster set. Rick, I did not think there were any of those still out there! Sorry the pictures SUCK...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Frank this is going to look sweet buddy . I need to pick one of these up to. Look forward to the progress pics 🙂

• Profile Photo

I will definitely be following this build. I have the SH Buffalo but mine is the British 339-23 version. I opened it up and it looks like you can build a US Navy Midway plane from the kit if you had proper decals.

Thanks again for posting this article. When you get the Special Hobby kit please post some pictures.

• Profile Photo

If the Buffalo you're going to build turns out half as nice as your recently posted Tamiya Ki-61 Hien, then this one will be absolutely amazing...it is a work of art.

• Profile Photo

I started the Special Hobby Buffalo today. It's going to be a LOT of work. So far, the top halves of the wings are longer in chord by about 2 mm than the bottom, and both trailing edges need to be planed or they don't fit. The wing to fuselage joint is currently less a "joint" and more of a "rough association".

And three steps in, I'm finding a bunch of broken pieces attached to the sprues.

Limited run multimedia kits. I do not love them.

• Profile Photo

Are ya sure you don't want that conversion set?

• Profile Photo

Wow Frank sorry to hear that about your Buffalo. Hang in there my friend.

• Profile Photo

I should be ok Freddie...but this kit is maddening. No attachment indicators. Broken parts up the wazoo. And it's not from the person from whom I bought it... The box is pristine. It was packed with damaged parts.

I'm going to hang in there with it.

• Profile Photo

I'm glad to hear that you are going to forge ahead with this one. It's an excellent choice for the Group. I'm following this one... Thanks again.