Monogram 1/48 Devastator TBD-1 USN VT-8 Ens George Gay, USS Hornet CV-8

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 81 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Chuck, as you say, the detail Monogram did back in the 70's still holds up today, but the Eduard set sure dresses things up. I have a Monogram TBD in prep mode and if I can get hold of the Eduard set, I may add it to the group build. I'll definitely be following along on your build.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Get the Eduards set for the Great Wall Devastator, not exact but it will work and enhance the Monogram kit. Amazing how much better in makes the cockpit. Get crackin! and thanks Rick.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Next I worked on the radar operator station of the cockpit. Installing the PE radio and other devices in this section. As well as the seatbelts and seat. What a difference these bit make in the interior. Finally received the Montex canopy mask set which is pretty detailed even includes masks for the inside of the glass. Will do this for the 1st time. This should be interesting. This will also be the first time I have used these for any build to date. More to follow.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

Now is a good time to glue in the engine's inertia starter crank handle. I left mine off until the end, and had to try and place it using tweezers... Not too fun.

I think you will like the masks, but I've only used them once so far... On my Pro Modeler SB2C Helldiver. They really worked good on that one.

It's amazing how much better this looks with the photo etch parts added...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

Thanks for the heads up and will do that in regard to the inertia starter crank handle. Looking forward when its time to use the masks. In fact may start masking the inside as once the the cockpit phase is complete it won't take long to get the air frame together.

• Profile Photo

At this point letting the bits settle on the cockpit floor section. I went ahead did a wash on the interior stringers on both halves. And did use the Monogram supplied windows and had them installed on the fuselage halves. Next was to add the seatbelts for the radar operator and installed it. And that will do it for now, more to follow.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hey Chuck,
    I don't know if you are planning on building your plane with the inertia starter crank handle inserted into the side of the fuselage or not. I found this picture of the assembly instructions from Lynn Ritger's TBD website.

It is shown in this photo as part number 13 and is listed as a "Crank".

The kit instructions would have you wait until step 11 to install this part . I waited and found out that it was really hard to get to, even with tweezers at this late stage of construction.

If you're not going to install the handle into the side of the fuselage, now would be the better time to glue the crank down in place near the bombardier's seat on the "Port" side console (while you can still get to it pretty easy).

This is something I learned the hard way on my recent TBD build...

Hope this helps.

Your Douglas plane is looking really nice !

• Profile Photo

That is actually the current instructions for this kit. I see now the placement for that crank handle. Oh well looks like I missed that bit of advise. o'vie...anyway I will figure it out, no harm no foul.

• Profile Photo

Tonight we work on the Instrument panel. 1st we remove the very nice details from the IP upper and lower panels. Prepare the kit part for the PE IP panel and gauges. Again Monogram was very good in the details on the IP. A fine brush, silver and white paint would've been sufficient to bring out the details. After the IP is complete, noticing that the bits are wider than the kit's part. A little trimming would be needed as it will be wider than the kits interior when assembled. Same issue also with the PE bulkhead behind the pilots seat will need to be trimmed after test fitting. Next add the side consoles on the RH fuselage 1/2. Set that aside and next to add the radio set and control panel in the gunners bulkhead. Something that is not in the Monogram kit. Now let see how it looks placed into the LH fuselage. And with that we call it a night. more to follow.

t

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

The Eduard set does really enhance the interior detail!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernard they really do. I am more satisfied doing these zoom sets than doing a resin set changeover. Which can get rather labor intensive.

• Profile Photo

With most the cockpit bits pretty much done, I went ahead and installed the tail hook. and also assembled the torpedo. After setting the cockpit floor and testing the fit into the fuselage. So far so good. Some trimming of the PE components, I was able to get both halve to mate properly. Things look good. Also test fitted the upper decking to check for alignment, tight fit but will be ok. Next I added the seat belts to the gunners seat. Once thats finished, It is time to install the cockpit and mate the halves. Also the gunners ring that will swivel when installed. Some minor warpage but nothing that will be a problem. Let the cement set and will let it set overnight. More to follow.

For some reason it won't let me reply to my own WIP for the Devastator, so I am going to just add to my last posting. Hope fully it works. Being a busy weekend, I started by completing the gunners seat by adding the belts and putting that aside. With the fuselage set, I next installed the upper deck insert, this went on without incident, the fit here is tight but fits perfect. Next time to work on the wings, as Louis mentioned on his Devastator, the same sink holes on the upper and lower wings are here as well. I also installed the torpedo insert as well. Next Louise's favorite part of the build, the bomb bay site doors under the nose. I trimmed them the best I could and carefully installed them in the closed position. Despite being careful the fit is not the greatest, but it will work for now. At this time I installed the lower wing. What I didn't do is test fit it first. I would've realized that I could've gotten a better fit if I had spread the fuselage wider to fill in the gaps at the wing to fuselage join. The fit at the bottom front and rear was not bad at all. With that we call it a night. More to follow.

22 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years ago:

Looking really good Chuck.

• Profile Photo

Wow you really have made some great progress !

Funny thing about the sink marks on the wing that you mentioned... Mine looked identical, and it was the first release of the kit from 1974. Yes those pesky bomb bay doors... Mine took a lot of filler there.

I was able to tweak the wing fillet joint and close up the gaps some there. I am pretty sure that I ran a small strip of plastic along the edge too. This helped to hide the gap even more.

That's a cool looking B-26 in the background...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, watching your wip on the Devastator helped in anticipating what I will run into for this project. So that really helped. I don't do that strip insert technique only because don't have any around though it may be a good idea to just have some for this very reason. I just fill the gaps with filler. That is the Airfix B-26 on hold for the moment until the Midway GB projects get done, though I do some work on it when I have time.