Monogram 1/48 Devastator TBD-1 USN VT-8 Ens George Gay, USS Hornet CV-8

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 81 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 7 years ago:

Looking great, one of my all time favorite Monogram kits!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

Chuck, I first paint the interior color on the canopy, so it shows inside. Or Interior green. Then, silver, followed by the exterior color. If you miss, the "metal" shows as wear 'n tear. Also, you avoid the "see thru" look you sometimes see on only partially painted canopies.
    I also try to use acrylics for canopies, easier to remove if you commit a faux pas. Or get the twitch.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years ago:

Looking good, Chuck

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

Thanks Rob, built many a Monogram back in grade school and early teen years, but never did a Devastator until now. Kind of wonder why as I wasn't particular back then, though I am not that particular now.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the tip and technique, that is actually a pretty good idea.

Thanks Rick, coming right along, just know the ins and outs of a Monogram kit, keeps it all in perspective to what to expect in building a good model. Most Monograms are pretty good in detail. Not as petite or crisp like a Hasegawa, Tamiya but they are pretty accurate in shape. New hi tech such as Hobby Boss, Trumpeter, etc, more detailed, over engineered but still at times Monogram continues to stand up to the new kids in the block, even with the raised panel lines.

• Profile Photo

A quick update. Finished off the prop hand painting the red/yellow/blue warning stripes on the tips of the blades. Next pre-shade the outer wing panels. Then installed the landing gear struts as they will be the same color as the lower wing when I get down to airbrushing the under surfaces. More to follow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

A word of caution with the brake lines. I broke mine off accidentally by sitting the plane on the landing gear struts without having the main wheels installed. They are very delicate.

Looks great and hopefully it will not be too long and you will be spraying this one .

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Now that the P-38 is pretty much completed, time to concentrate more on the Devastator and Vindicator, getting to the nitty gritty. With the landing gear installed, next is to finish the interior and to install the canopies. This will be an interesting process. First install the windscreen. I gave up in trying to mask the inside framing. So I will just do the normal masking of the outer panels. Next the rollover bar and mount it behind the pilots armor plate. The fire extinguisher was painted Gold. I didn't have brass, so Gold was a nice substitute. Next the gunners seat was placed carefully into the ring. I will configure this with open canopies. So next was to install the rear section which slides under the main clear portion of the canopy. When I built the Dauntless I can't remember how I did that process in painting it. For the Devastator I will do it in sections. First before I install the next glass section, I am going to paint the rear sliding glass. Starting with the Interior Green. Of course first I will mask the windscreen and rear slider with the Montex canopy mask set. Really easy to use. Also really cool is they provided the masks for the wheels. And that ends this portion. More to follow.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good Chuck... I'll bet the masks really helped.

• Profile Photo

You have no idea, my eyes were about to be permanently cross eyed placing the masks on each of those panels.

• Profile Photo

Now lets check out the these Montex mask set. So far applying them to the windscreen and wheels were ok to do. The pull off the backing easily and you can adjust them a bit on the part your masking. Also the conform to the curves on the glass. So far so good. After masking the windscreen I next installed the rear sliding section. Masked it and painted it with Interior Green and then USN Blue Grey. Let that set for a bit. Carefully using white glue installed the next section, masked it and again airbrushed Interior Green and the Blue Grey. Since I had the Blue Grey in the Passche I went ahead and painted the outer wing sections. Once the paint has dried a peeled off the maskings off the rear section. Permanently installed the 2nd rear slider glass assy. Satisfied with the result. Next we install the rest of the glass. More to follow

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I used bare metal foil on my canopy frames, but my plane was a "Yellow Wings" build. I didn't have to mess with canopy masking which is very tedious.
    Your TBD looks great my friend. You're making some good progress.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, never tried that technique with foil. But will do something minor on the Lightning and Vindicator at some point with foil.

• Profile Photo

So far the masks have performed well. After removing them from the rear slider, no residue on the glazings. So far so good. Now to install the rest of the canopy and mask them off. Monogram was good in allowing the canopies to stack and slide in the open configuration. The parts fit without any issues. Unlike the Vindicator which will need some adjustments to get them to fit. I used white glue to attach the sliding glass for the pilot to allow for painting. After adding the masks time to paint the interior green over the framing. More to follow.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks really good Chuck. Thanks for the updates.