More on Midway!

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 5 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I just read an article on the Naval Institute Press website. It's an article ritten by Jonathan Parshall, one of the authors of "Shattered Sword"
    From a fabulous book, comes an equally faconating article, and I urge anyone interested in the history of the Midway Battle, to read it. What an amazing piece of writing that sheds light on many aspects of Midway.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/navalhistory/2017-06/grading-midways-commanders?utm_source=U.S.+Naval+Institute&utm_campaign=c07e875ba6-June_2017_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_adee2c2162-c07e875ba6-222715957&mc_cid=c07e875ba6&mc_eid=8769bc90a4

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Nice read Freddie... good points made in the article.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Interesting facts, I am very much aware of the grading system the Navy loves to use in evaluating battles and what tactics used by not only the leading Commanding officers but also other officers who made decisions in the course of battle, taking initiative and the results of those decisions. Good read.

• Profile Photo
    Shaun Dunn said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Check Parshall's videos on Midway. He summarizes the battle so well it inspired me to do all 3 Yorktown class based on the Revell kits at Midway. No the kit isn't great above the hangar deck, but excels below, so I'm using lots of aftermarket. (Shapeways for islands, Hornet gun directors, SBDs and F4Fs, Starfighter for decals and TBDs, 3D model parts for guns) and a whole lot of research and scratchbuilding. Am at the hangar decks, and opening and building Enterprise interior. It's really an experience how dissimilar they are.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 6 years, 7 months ago:

That will be nice to see completed Shaun. Quite a project!