1/72 Italeri MC.202 Folgore and 1/72 Airfix Ju.87 B-2/R2 Stuka

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 55 · 6 years ago · Airfix, Folgore, Italeri, Ju87, MC202, Stuka
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 6 months ago:

After some research these will be my subject to build for the GB.

The Italian Macchi MC.202 Folgore will probably come from the Italian aces set from Italeri. This set also contains the successor the MC.205 Veltro. The MC.205 is no subject for the GB but on my wishlist to build, so this comes in very handy.

To get the curly camouflage worked out I will use the decalset issued by Print Scale, and I'm sure that will keep me busy for some hours to come...

The German Ju.87 B-2 Stuka is the new tooling by Airfix and comes with the option of building one of two versions used during the Tunesian campaign. Which version to build I still have to decide as they are both very nice.

As soon as I've started updates will follow.

Cheers! Ferry.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 6 months ago:

This is exciting stuff, Ferry. Two winning choices for the GB!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Ferry, love that Macchi 202! Just a pretty aircraft!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Great choices Ferry.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks guys. I look forward to start building them.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 5 months ago:

So, my first update on this GB. Finaly my Stuka from Airfix arrived. This is the second version they made from the all new tooling, and it looks great. Lots of details specialy in the interior. Canopy options closed or open, choice of bombs or fuel tanks and a very well printed decal sheet. Options are the Ju87B-2 from 6. Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 "Immelmann" used in Libya july 1941, or the Ju87R-2 from 209 Squadriglia, 96 gruppo North Africa 1941. The last version can also be made into a captured one with British markings. I've made the coice to build the German version with the snake all over the fuselage, but maybe buying a second one to build the Italian version as well is playing in my mind.

I made the pictures of the parts lay out as a starting point. Let's take off!

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Glad to hear that the kit arrived safely. I like the snake on the side of the fuselage. I have a kit in 1/48 scale that has the same markings. I don't remember if it was Revell or Hasegawa though. That new Airfix Ju-87 in 1/48 looks to be a winner too. Airfix has really come a long way in the past few years.

I'll be following along with this build for sure. Thanks for posting my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Louis, the iconic Revell 32nd Stuka initial boxing had the snake. Not sure about the Revell 48th Hasegawa rebox, or their own boxing(s).I always wondered (1) izzit on both sides of the fuselage? and (2) is it really red?

• Profile Photo

You're absolutely correct Bernard... I remember the Revell 1/32 Stuka with the snake,

and ended up building the Gustav 109. My very first kit ever was the 1/32 Revell P-40 "Flying Tiger" they released back then... I still have a soft spot for the old Revell 1/32 kits. Had the "Tony" too... The box art was very impressive on all of their kits for a young boy.

I just looked at my "snake" kit. It's the Revell reboxing of the 1/48 Hasegawa Ju-87B

I have often wondered about the same questions you asked... Both sides of the plane ? I don't know...

A good possibility would be RLM 79 sand instead of red. But I don't know for sure either...

Morne Meyer built a great model of and posted it here on Imodler. Here's the link to his build: He also had three original B&W photos of the real plane with his build.

Junkers Ju-87 R-2 Stuka ‘Desert Snake’
    Stan Traas built one too and posted it. Here's the link for it also:
    Oh no!... not another one of those snake Stukas... Hasegawa 1/48 Ju-87R-trop
    Sorry Ferry, I'm not trying to high jack your build log. I do like the Stuka though, and will be looking forward to your progress. You have me seriously thinking about taking another look at my Stukas... I personally think the snake scheme is very cool !
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Great posts! This GB would be seriously incomplete without the Stuka, and I really appreciate your choices, Ferry! Man, Airflix just nails it with the box art, right? Of course, the main thing is what’s inside, and I’m glad to hear it all looks so promising.

• Profile Photo

No worries Louis, the old 1/32 Stuka from Revell brought back some old memories. I think I must have build that one many moons ago as a very young boy, impressed by that snake.

The decals in the Airfix kit have the snake in white/sand colour, so I'm also not sure and haven't found any references about the right colours and just keep it with the stuff provided.

And Louis, please do take a another look at your Stukas as well, allways room for some more in the GB I think.

Thanks David for your comment. And yes Airfix made a very nice kit with their new tooled model. Details are fantastic and I'm starting my build now so more pictures will follow.

• Profile Photo

After a busy scale model event this weekend, I've started with the Stuka. Parts fall together just great. The new Airfix tooling is wonderful to work with.
    Starting with the cockpit floor and the wingspar, followed by the detail parts for the cockpit walls. Not so much colour inside the Stuka, it's all pretty grey. Picked out the seatbelts and controlstick. Some more details to follow.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Nice!

• Profile Photo

This is one great looking kit. If the 1/48 new Airfix Stuka looks like this one, then I know what I want Santa to bring me now !

Looks great my friend. Fantastic job as usual Ferry.

Your coverage of the model show this weekend was great too. Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 5 months ago:

That's looking good Ferry, I may have to add this kit to the collection. Only Stuka I've done was the old Revell 1/48 kit, not much interior detail.