Tamiya D.520 Dewoitine, 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 60 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Your welcome Dave, just hope that whatever I share helps someone that can use the tips and techniques for their projects.

• Profile Photo

Finally the decals arrived, I will use the third scheme in this set. These are the Berna decals. This session will have me complete the rest of the fuselage detail bits. The intake scoops on each side of the forward portion of the nose, right below the exhaust. Once these are installed, next to work under the airframe. Assemble and install the lower air intake under the nose. Good fit here. Next step is working on the belly mounted radiator assy. Once that is installed. Finally to attach the nose prop piece. Insert the prop poly busing and install it on the nose. With the airframe complete, time to work the seams and prep for paint. More to follow.

19 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Fantastic work on a very nice aircraft. Berna makes a lot of wonderful decalsets, I'm looking forward to your progress.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

It shouldn't be too long and this will be painted... You've done some marvelous work my friend. Looking forward to your next installment...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Getting exciting Chuck - really enjoying the step-by-step guide to what is a good looking aircraft - the square cross section is amazing - quite unique.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, typical Tamiya doesn't take long to get the kit together once you get the cockpit in. Not very many parts to this. Yet Tamiya gives a quite detailed model despite the small number of parts. Now I wonder how much more bits and pieces this would have if it was a Kitty Hawk or Trumpeter kit?

Thanks Ferry, looking forward to working with them as I believe this is the 1st time using any Berna decals, the layout reminds me of the Microscale or Modeldecal way of applying them with old style direction sheet.

Thanks Louis always kind with your words.

Thanks Paul, next up is fixing that gap of my doing on the RH wingroot.

• Profile Photo

Next is to fix that wingroot gap and clean up the seams a bit to prepare for the painting process. A little seam work on the nose area. Then taking a rocket fin from the scrap pile, I inserted into the gap in the wingroot, filed down to meet the surface and applied Tamiya putty to fill in any gaps in front and behind the insert. After trimming and sanding the fix worked out ok. Before pre-shading I will shoot some primer to clean it up a little more. But for the most part did the trick. After going over the seams with 320 then 400 grit wet/dry. I then used 600 grit to remove any scratches. I then rescribed the panel lines around the seam work to restore them. Next up was to install the flaps and finally the windscreen, canopy and quarter windows. She is ready for the paint process. More to follow.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Great work Chuck - can't wait for this scheme!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looking good Chuck, she should really pop after your paint job is completed.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 4 months ago:

This bird is coming out very nice! Can't wait to see the painted model!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Coming right along, Chuck. Good show with the progress!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Man, you are moving right along! Looking good.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I agree you have made some great progress. The clear canopy bits look especially nice... Well done my friend. Soon you will be spraying some paint... I also like how you go step by step with a good description and pictures... this would be very helpful to someone building one.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, Tom, it will be certainly something different this time around. A new scheme I have never painted before.

Thanks Michel, looking forward to applying this scheme. The paints are here now and will now get started with it.

Thanks Dave and Greg. Was hoping to get the paint scheme done over the Christmas weekend.

Thanks Louis, The Tamiya kits so far have really provided some excellent clear parts in the kits. Now to be careful installing them and not leave fingerprints after having them installed.