The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Una dia, amigo, una dia.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hello my friend ! Casa Imodeler looks to be an excellent idea...

As far as the Tiger "training manual" goes, when I was in the Army, we had similar books for the M-16, and a regular PMCS booklet too. PMCS stands for "Preventive Maintenance, Checks, and Services".

This is from one of the M-16 books...

and the maintenance issues... of which many were written.

I guess soldiers from all eras have a lot in common... 🙂

Your Tiger is really looking great ! I love the paint work and how the exhaust is shaping up.

Did you sprinkle it with salt ? It kind of looks that way...

I also noticed part of Air Group 6 on deck... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Ah, Connie Rod! Will Elder, who did "The Spirit" back when there were comics in the Sunday papers- used to work on "PS". Valuable information presented in a readable, entertaining fashion. The print version has given way to an online version, last I heard.

• Profile Photo

Bernard, if I'd known about Connie I may have joined up myself. I'm guessing the name is a play on 'Connecting Rod' - unless of course you can inform us otherwise?

• Profile Photo

Hey, Louis. Thanks for the entertainment; I think I need to make a comic strip for my teenagers and get them on board with the stuff they ought to be better at.

I did indeed season the Tiger with some salt - I just wanted a little modulation in the paint and some feeling of wear. I think it's worked well (subtle but adds something, I think). The general paint scheme is exactly what I wanted, moving away from the more traditional dark yellow to something that leans toward the 'real' but adds some more mood to the brute.

And yes, those are the last of VF-6 in the background. I'd hoped to finish the Enterprise this weekend, but to be honest I'm having so much Tank Fun I'm hopping between builds. Only have the crew and 'planes to finish and the lady be all done.

'No camels were harmed in the making of this model'

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

That was my take on the name, also. Service mechanical humor! When I was in the RVN, one of my companions remarked that he thought Connie was really cute. I told him he'd been overseas too long... Shades of Jessica Rabbit, which came later.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

Navy psychs would have a field day there; "so, sailor, tell me how long you've been having feelings about Ms. Connie?"

Been at the Tiger and the Camel this afternoon. Having to vacate the 'model room' these days - the wife is using it for writing at the moment, so I'm in the conservatory with PBS docs on WW2 aircraft, some nice ale, and a looooong Easter weekend. Life is great.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

Happy Easter all! Very nice painting on the camel, looks almost real! Mind to give it a bit of water every other month...

• Profile Photo

And a very happy Easter to you, too, Michel.

That poor Camel is still in for lots of layers of paint to make him look anything close to real. While we are on the subject of Camels (we are, aren't we)...

And Lou, if you are looking...you ever come across Camel Spiders on your Middle East sojourn? Seriously, are these things real?

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

More impressive work--and specialty pics!

Given my own predilections, I will, ahem, forgo comment on certain soldierly preoccupations and focus on Easter. he is Risen! Risen indeed!

Have great holiday, everyone!

• Profile Photo

Happy Easter, folks.

• Profile Photo

Happy Easter to you, David! Biblical animals, yellow chicks, and Tiger tanks (being swarmed by out-of-scale Wildcats). Nice! The whole "Road to Damascus" theme takes on new meaning today.

Being a sibling from a large brood, each Easter morning was a joy with all the baskets lined up, our names on them to keep The Who's who straight, and a gift for each of us to temper the sugar rush of all the chocolate eggs and jelly beans. In my memory, two gifts stand out. One was a full-sized children's Bible that was so beautiful I couldn't believe it was for me. Another year I got Monogram's 1:48 B-17G.

My life has been defined by the former gift; I'm having a lot of fun returning to the recreation represented by the latter.

• Profile Photo

David, my early and subsequent family memories of Easter are from an entirely different hue of the good book. My recollections are feasts and myriad stories about Moses and the Exodus at Pesach (which is inevitably around Easter) and we also had gifts. Don't know if 'Captain Scarlet' ever made it over the pond, but I was given this by my grandfather (actually it was a special edition of four flying in formation) during Passover - I think in 1972.

• Profile Photo

David, one of my great tasks as a professor of biblical literature (and especially/ironically the New Testament) is to emphasize to the mind of the young goy the centrality of Pesach for nearly all motifs through the comprehensive biblical narrative. Genesis looks towards it, Exodus tells it, the prophets hearken back to it and play upon it, Jesus fulfills it, Paul interprets it, and the Apocalypse retells it with finality and a detail that most cannot comprehend because the structure and imagery is lost upon them. It isn't called the "Judeo-Christian" worldview for nothing.

And no, I haven't seen that kit. Looks like a memory for sure!

Have a happy Pesach, my brother.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

David T, beautifully put! Happy Easter, everyone!