The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

David, I like to think there is an optimistic message in your last post; that evil can devise the most heinous tools (including people) but abiding common goodness can always rise to overcome through greater presence.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Let us be hopeful together, cousin.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Awesome job David !
    The Tiger is shaping up and you're already at post #48 !

The road wheel pictures you posted are an excellent reference. I have never seen several of them.

I also think that your RAL paint mix looks spot on. I know that there is a lot of debate on what colors these Tunisian Tigers were, but I would stick to how the one is painted in the museum you posted some photos of.

I'm sure that they did a lot of research on the colors used during the restoration.

Thanks for the updates my friend.

Tanks are cool !

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, I've ordered my crew, photo etch, gun barrel, and even thinking about those Friul ("yes, darling, you wouldn't believe how cheap they were...") metal tracks. I am a convert and happy to evangelise. Praise the lord and pass the ammunition.

• Profile Photo

Excellent news !

You will really like the "inexpensive" Friul Tracks, Since they have some weight to them, the sag in the track runs look very authentic.
    I used Friul tracks on this King Tiger

You will be glad you purchased the metal barrel. It will look better than the kit supplied part which has a seam running right through the middle... Just make sure you primer the metal barrel or the paint may chip off of it very easy.

I used a Dragon / DML crew figurine set that was called "Tiger Aces". It's one of the few times I have painted and installed a crew on a tank model. I am fairly certain this is the crew set...

They look right at home on a Panzer Mark IV...

My crew figure painting skills are horrible to say the least. That's why I often shy away from using them. But they really help bring the model into perspective and gives it a size reference for the viewer.

If you can look past the mud, you can see where I chipped the rubber some on the road wheels of the Mk IV.

Hope this helps...

Man I am liking this new feature that allows us to post pictures with our replies... A picture is worth a thousand words...

• Profile Photo

Louis, that Panzer IV is gorgeous- very menacing and beautifully painted. The chipping on the rubber rims of the road wheels is a great touch and something I'll have to try for sure. You are so correct about the iModeler changes, it's a much better experience with the addition of photos, a richer read and more personal, too.

If my build turns out anywhere near as good as your Panzer, I'll be a happy modeler. Thanks for the photos and encouragement.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Congratulations on the figures and the rubber roadwheel gouging. I'd have missed that, previously. a couple of years back, I saw a color photo of a Russian T-62, and there they were! Next time I build a tank, I'll add them. Great build!

• Profile Photo

David my friend I have no doubt that your Tiger will be stunning once you complete it. I have been watching your progress on the CV-6 and you have it down to a science.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Louis. I have a nice relaxed plan for this diorama and my experience in building my first tank so far has been brilliant. Apart from all those damned wheels. And let's keep the price of those Friulmodel Tracks just between us good friends, yeah?

• Profile Photo

Friday. For my money the best day of the week.

So my clunky thing is starting to take shape and I've glued some of my moulded bricks together (scenery for the diorama, thanks to my son's donations from his childhood daliance with Games Workshop). The metal barrel arrived.

And the crew are a handsome bunch, or so my wife tells me...

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

David, you've got both the goods and the chops to make this happen, and your posts prove you've been making good headway. Very, very nice!

• Profile Photo

I wish I could do more in terms of building. I so enjoy time on this he bench and it definitely makes me happier. I'm glad I took on this subject; the Pass was a critical tactical awakening for the Allies and was a very, very important crossroads. Thanks for the encouragement - you are a true gentleman and brother.

David.

• Profile Photo

I feel the same about you, David; kindred spirits on either side of the pond. Building helps me, too, in the midst of other stresses. I strive for balance but you know how that goes sometimes.

I agree on Kasserine, and that's one of the reasons I ended up pushing the GB. Truth is, every few weeks until 2020 we're in the significant 75th of some WW2 event. But I felt this was worth the emphasis because (1) North Africa hadn't been addressed in a GB, and (2) the pathos of this battle is special in some very particular ways. As an American, there are certainly some lopsided battles I could choose that would be somewhat gratuitous (Falais Pocket, Battle of the Philippine Sea, and so on). But Kasserine tells a very human story of hubris and assumption, of context, of painful learning, of tactics vs. strategy, of checkers vs. chess. America needed to learn that bravado and superior logistics wouldn't be enough. They got their head cleared via a bloody nose. Germany learned that gallantry and brilliance, and even tactical victory, couldn't ultimately carry the day in the age of modern warfare, which (ironically) they had reveled in. It's a great microcosm and turning point.

Too bad we cannot chat about it all over dinner at my table, but being pencils will have to do for now!

David

• Profile Photo

Yes, it'd be wonderful to sit down and discuss the Marianas Turkey Shoot, the fall of the Seventh Army at Falaise, and maybe even the rout of the English at Stirling in 1297.

We'll have to be content with kinship and fraternity. If you are ever in London, though...

• Profile Photo

Ah, London. Yes, well, that's a dream of my wife's. As I think I told you, her mother was a Brit, a war bride who came to America but never gave up her UK citizenship (or her accent). All my genealogical stuff has been descended from so many different characters over there that any given place or battle would seemingly have me rejoicing and grieving simultaneously; one forefather wielded the axe while the other took it to the face. But surely there'd be enough to link arms over. Louis Gardner and I realized that our direct ancestors both fought against Richard III at Bosworth. How 'bout them apples?

Cheers, my friend and comrade.,