The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Ah, so you and Louis are Lancasters? Well, look back far enough and as you say, there'd be something to link arms over.

Slainte.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

That part of me is Welsh. Rhys ap Thomas (hence my appellation) sided with the Tudors against Richard over a question of honor, I think. The debate is whether Louis' ancestor or mine took off the back of Richard's head with a halberd. Perhaps you can help with the psychology of regicide, but at least we aren't quarreling over it.

I have yet to research my Burrell line, which has the lion's share of the Scottish blood in it I'll warrant. Perhaps I'd better get to that!

• Profile Photo

Burrell. A noble name, David. Ach, I could dectect something of the celt about you, sir.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This is very interesting indeed. My late "Great Aunt" was digging into our family tree many years ago and she found out that we are supposedly a direct descendant of "Sir William Gardner". When David and I were having a conversation on our family history we accidentally stumbled upon this. It's almost like we are kindred spirits from long ago, that were destined to meet again.

There is some controversy about who exactly did the deed with the pollaxe, but one of our ancestors put King Richard III under the parking lot...

Here's a neat link that tells a little about the event.

http://richard-iii-of-england.wikia.com/wiki/WilliamGardner(knight)

Sir William Gardner was made a Night shortly after the event occurred.

It's a small world indeed...

• Profile Photo

Louis, my comrade in arms and co-regicide, t'was our forefathers who did the gallant thing; they left it to others to lay the king to rest. Knights dinna take ou' th' garbage, lad...

And David, I'm more than a bit Celt. While my maternal grandfather was a Burrell, my paternal grandmother was a McMahon, a Murphy, a Kelly, and a Kennedy; I have Mullanphy in my father's father's line and McNair in my mother's mother's. I figure (depending on how you reckon such matters), I'm upwards of 40% Celt, the sure plurality of my bloodline. After that I'm mostly British and French, with a touch of Prussian.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I tell folks that we'll always have the past to look forward to! Ah, History! I don't know where I'd be without it to beckon me. God bless the work! And all here! (as us Harps say)

• Profile Photo

Fascinating story there Louis, and puts forth the evidence that we're are all swimming in the gene pool of violence, gallantry, betrayal, altruism, love, sacrifice, and bravery.

David, a doff of the cap to our shared Celtic ancestry. Of all things, I am now off to watch the highly anticipated Rugby match between Ireland and Scotland, due to start in an hour in this sceptred isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars (mmm, quite possibly a relative of yours...)

• Profile Photo

Bernard, I have researched this and come up with exactly naught. What manner of ultra secret society are these 'Harps' - or would you have to kill me after sharing such information?

• Profile Photo

David, one of the Oirish national symbols is a harp. So, a Harp, like a Mick, or a Paddy, or a bog trotter, is a generic name for those of us who claim descent from the Land of Poets and Kings. Like the Smithsonian Institute, I'm for the general diffusion of knowledge, no matter how how esoteric or obscure. I was in the secret business whilst in the Army, and it wasn't much fun. I'm also Scots and English on my Mothers side, so I'm conflicted. Just another mad Yank!

• Profile Photo

Ah, Bernard, Thanks for clearing that up. It was driving a bit of me brain crazy, it was, now.

As for being a 'mad Yank' well, I think that's another story for another thread...

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hi David! This tiger looks fab already! Welcome to our tanker-tribe!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Michel. I'm greatly enjoying losing my clunky thing virginity.

• Profile Photo

What a great picture!

• Profile Photo

It is. I love their expressions, trying to recreate the scene in their mind's eye. One in a million shot .

• Profile Photo

"I say, Nigel, capital shooting there, simply capital!"