I'm not a "real" modeler - It just seems like I am....

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 47 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Yeah, for me close enough is good enough. Some people wait forever to get a kit in their desired scale only to bash it if it isn't 100% correct. (My Trumpeter F-100F falls into this category. Also Airfix's Canberra/ B-57.) So what if the intake is a little flat on the bottom. You can tell what it is and it builds OOB really well! I will buy decals now and then, but that's more of a aesthetic preference rather than something wrong with the kit decals. Also raised or engraved panel lines make no difference to me. (Monogram's F-84F was spectacular and had raised panel lines, although very fine!)

Lately I have been buying aftermarket cockpits on a couple of kits simply because that's my favorite place to spend my time. If a kit comes with decals for instrument panels, it's just not as much fun for me, but if an otherwise nicely detailed and "busy" cockpit has a few dials out of place, I'm not spending the money!

If someone dropped a 1/48 B-36 injection molded B-36 in my lap, I would forgive a multitude of errors like a missing scale foot or two in a given dimension or subtle shape errors and say "Holy c**p! Someone put out a 1/48 B-36!" and happily build away!

I do remember one of the mantras in Hints and Tips for Building Plastic Models. It was "Representation, not duplication." What is the overall feel of the subject when you're done and are YOU happy with it? Did YOU have fun?

Sometimes I get complaints that my planes are too pristine. I build them with the mindset of "how would it look if I actually owned and flew it." It would look like a well cared for but used warbird. My sea blue is glossy with very minimal weathering and my Bearcat and Tigercat have polished areas around the exhaust. My Ventura is very clean but the bottom is white and it has radial engines so there's some oil spoiling the show, but not a lot. That's how they would look if I actually had one! SO, totally scale!

(I really envy Kermit Weeks!)

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Craig,
    First, allow me to say. You are the "Rembrandt of the rattle can". It seems to me from what I have seen you of your work you do just fine without the airbrush.
    Second, you have provocted a considerable amount of comments from others. Fine ... Sometimes it's good to vent. Sometimes it's not.
    I doubt that anyone on this site is shy about how they may feel about this hobby.
    I agree, build what you like and if you are happy with it, that is really all that matters. I often build for others and if they are happy, I'm happy. Plus I'm paid a bit. I have not entered a contest since the early 70's and find no need to ever do so again. One thing I believe in is encouaging young people, if they show an interest, to undertake this hobby.
    There is no application necessary, no dues, no meetings, no requirements so join my club;

"I know where the mistakes are but I'm not going to tell you"

Enjoyed your rant and also enjoyed the comments you received.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Who's Kermit Weeks ?
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Bailey said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Kermit Weeks owns the Fantasy Of Flight Museum in Polk Florida, one of the largest (if not THE largest) privately held collections of airplanes in the world.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 2 months ago:

You said it better than I could Craig. I've tried to follow the advice my modeling mentor gave me many years ago after being raked over the coals in my first club contest. The only person I have to make happy is myself, and if other people like my results, it's all the better.

Build what you want the way you want it and enjoy it. Life's too short to worry about whether your olive drab is the wrong shade.

And I'd be honored to have a beer with any of you, any time.

Neil, if you ever make it this side of the pond, let me know and we'll hook up and head out to Fantasy of Flight. That Weeks fellow has a Sunderland there:

Venues
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Great topic there Craig, and one which I think we've all grappled with over the years. I don't think in all the time i've been building models that i have ever broke out a scale to check the accuracy/dimensions of the kit. For me if the completed subject looks right then its good enough for me. I've never been a rivet counter, and never will be I know my limitations and enjoy the fruits of my labour even when they are not spectacular! Its enlightening to read all the other comments on this subject, which are well thought out and encouraging to me. Getting too serious is counter productive, and destructive in terms of the simple enjoyment of creating something with your own hands. The economics angle of the hobby is one that effects us all depending on your own cash flows but from what i've read everyone here seems to be well adjusted when it comes to deciding whats affordable or necesarry and weighing up value against getting carried away with all the extras/goodies/aftermarket or what ever. As i build a lot of older kits i find that i have to resort to decals for aftermarket cos they don't always have as long shelf life as the plastic, so thats generally it for me. I've dabbled with PE but i'm not a regular user in that respect. When it all comes down to it building models aint life or death, as to whether you are considered a real modeller or not isn't something i'm too worried about as long as its enjoyable.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Bausch said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Craig,

You are "bang on" as far as this subject is concerned, and how I feel about it. Thanks for putting into words so well, something that needs to be said. Some may not understand, but I think most of us will. Well done, and thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 years, 2 months ago:

"Perhaps it’s the feeling of anonymity by hiding behind a monitor screen or lack of social skills, a superiority complex or just a bully attitude."

As someone who has become personally knowledgeable about Asperger's Syndrome, I can assure you that there are very few of us who aren't somewhere "on the spectrum." Lack of social skills is a hallmark of the condition, ranging from those who need to think twice before talking once, to those who never get the joke, to those who never have a clue. The ones being complained about fall generally in the latter category. We've known them forever: the guy who needs instruction on the necessity of regular personal care, who knows everything about what's wrong with every model he's ever seen, and never completed one himself. Before the internet, they were just the occasional bridge troll who showed up at the club meeting and could generally be avoided. Now they're ubiquitous.

I always like to ask these jerks who are telling us exactly how things should be done, "where's your model?" It shuts them up every time. Also, certain "serious muddler" forums are best avoided. We know which ones they are.

Then there are a few actual psychopaths out there, like Scott T. Murphy.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Yeah, Joe!

I thought I was the only one doin' the beer drinkin' and procrastinating! Made my whole day!

I do THINK about my next "project" a lot, just seems I get sidetracked by life, what with the cat boxes, singing in the choir, and working for SWMBO.

It is cheaper than learning to play the bourbon zylophone, or golf, or radio control. Well, sort of.

As to how come I have so many kits, mit duplicates, hey, it seemed like a deal/good idea at the time. I'll own up, I enjoy hunting and gathering, it's genetic. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Plus, there's ALWAYS a newer, better rendition of the ME/BF 109/Zero/whatever.

Still, I was hoping for a 1/48 O-46...

And so it goes!

One of my companions sez he's gonna melt down his kits to make a coffin, and put the decals on the outside. Who says you can't take it with you?

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 8 months ago:

As a P.S.:

I echo what I heard a member of IPMS Tidewater say at a regional some years back- "I'm just trying hard to be average".

Can I get an Ah-men?

• Profile Photo
    Chris Mansfield said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Craig-

I couldn't agree more. I build to build. It relieves stress, furthers my love of history, and gives me something to do with my hands.

As far as experts, some times I have to laugh when I see someone post a comment after looking at pictures of pre-production sprue shots and announcing that they "had great hopes for a decent XXXXX, but they will save their money now." I wonder how many times these people probably did not have any intentions of buying that kit. I'll be the first to admit that I am disappointed with the shape of the taillights on the 2015 Corvette, so I won't be buying one now… (tongue firmly in cheek, aside from the divorce filing that would result, I can't see myself in a 'Vette. My '06 Mustang is enough for me).

I once posted a picture of my recently finished Tamiya Tilly (that I took to a contest in Omaha earlier this year, it placed 3rd). The second comment said in essence, "Nice build, but you are a victim of the Tamiya color scheme scam." I was happy with the build, the colors were the ones spec'd out in the instructions, and it's a nice little kit. It was a quick build, no major fit problems, etc. But someone took the time to point out that my kit was the wrong color. (I am not thin skinned, I teach college as a "day" job.) This probably falls into the "lack of social skills" category.

I have used AM stuff - not a lot, but some Eduard color cockpits, painted seat belts, decals and paint masks. Recently, I purchased some resin wheel/tire sets for a Showcase Models Bushmaster (which came with rubber tires.). Also, some of those AM sets are a marginal improvement at best. I also recently purchased a set of aftermarket wheels for a Italari Hummer, and the ones from Tank Workshop (which cost about 60% the cost of the original kit) are horrible. They are mis-molded, our of round, and have other problems. I will probably see if I am happy with them after paint and "mud", but quite a few of the few AM goodies I have bought have been disappointments.

I use an airbrush, mainly because I like to. I have also tried several, and currently have 4 in my arsenal (2 Sotar's (1 with fine tip/needle, 1 with med tip/needle), an Iwata and a Tamiya). Each has its purpose, from base coats to detail, and I will be the first to admit I am not a "master" of the airbrush, but I am generally happy with the results, and, I am better today then I was when I started. I also use rattle cans for various projects (a 1/12th Mustang for one), and I love the Citadel Chaos Black primer (in a LARGE spray can).

In anything in life, there are be "experts" that wish to make sure someone knows their opinion on a given topic. Modeling is no different.

Great new site and happy building!

Chris

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Addressing the major issues in this resurrected thread, very simply...
    1) rattle cans are for lawn furniture.
    2) If you use rattle cans it does not make you a bad person.
    3)Build what you want, how you want, even if the cockpit's too wide or the wings too long) it's a HOBBY (Even use rattle cans if you want, but see #1)
    4)If you can't figure out why most of us can't stop buying new kits, then you just don't get it, do you?
    🙂

• Profile Photo
    Darren Cannell said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Couldn't have said it better Jeff! Model on!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 4 months ago:

I'd forgotten all about this thread, Martin...it was interesting to re-read all the comments. Thanks for putting it up again.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Well it wasn't me... the threads go up again anytime someone posts a reply, so the credit goes to Darren...