I'm not a "real" modeler - It just seems like I am....

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 47 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hey, for the first time in my life I seem to have a stash, does that make me a serious modeller? I appreciate that by some peoples' reckoning this only represents a morning's shopping trip (no names, no pack drill, but you know who you are), but here it is. Of the four kits, the J-7B is actually finished, just waiting to take some pictures before posting here. The ME 262 is built and wants painting and final assembly and decals, it will have to wait for a few weeks until after the Chinese new year holiday before I can buy the paint though. The FW 190 and the JU 88 are still untouched other than opening their boxes and having a look. I bought the JU 88 after reading Louis Gardner's enthusiastic review of the ICM HE 111 which doesn't seemm to be available here yet. Anyway, there's enough to be keep me busy for a while. So, please tell me, does this make me a serious modeller?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    pete simpson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Just hopping on here lads and lasses.

I have just got back into it after a long break and my has it got expensive - and I can't find a large scale P-26a peashooter for love nor money!

I have also come across a lot of these 'rivet counters' and to be honest they do make me chuckle, for instance, on one kit I was buying, it was the wrong choice as there were only 6 bolts on the wheels, not 8, another had not enough rivets near the wing joins or something - suffice to say, I still bought the kits. I do not have a problem with this offshoot of our hobby, they have their way of doing things and I have mine, as long as they do not moan or castigate me for my choices - saying that, I am very partial to aftermarket decals - need more produced for the Stearman Kaydet!

My eyes are not as good and my hands sometimes rival Michael J fox's but they are the only ones I have and I will build my kits to the best of their abilities...without a care in the world about how many bolts my wheels should have.

Thanks for listening and keep the plastic flowing.