My Luftwaffe RF-4E build

Started by Greg Kittinger · 35 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years ago:

That looks fantastic, Greg ! Thats the living proof that a good modeller don t need no new tool super kit.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years ago:

Bernd - I appreciate the kind remark, especially after seeing your build!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years ago:

Still working on getting the camera laden nose on the airframe, so finished off the burner cans. Tried a new technique - painted scale black, then dry brushed some gunship grey on the middle of the petals, then used silver pencil to add some silver chipping/scraping on the section between petals, then used Tamiya weathering pastels to blend in the results. I kinda like it...

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years ago:

Nice nozzles, Greg ! This multi colored area on the F-4 needs some good attention. Paint work and the "weathering" looks very effective, especially in this scale.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 7 years, 12 months ago:

Are you doing your build wheels up in flight? I you need them I got a couple of Monogram F-4 pilots that grounded right now .

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 12 months ago:

Thanks Robert! Yes - will be wheels up as always, but I've already got some pilots to occupy the office space for this one! However, I'm never one to not take donations, so if you just will never use them, feel free to donate to a worthy cause - I'm sure I can find a comfortable home for them!

• Profile Photo

Where do I send them?

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 12 months ago:

14096 S. 26th E. Ave., Bixby, OK 74008.

Thanks!

• Profile Photo

Not a problem I'll send them this week.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Just finished several hours worth of putting the stencil decals on the lower surface... having some difficulty with getting them to lay tight to the surface. Part of the problem is the raised panel lines - unlike some decals, the AirDoc set doesn't seem to want to stretch and lay down well over any bumps or the raised lines - even using MicroSol underneath and SolvaSet on top! I've had to go in and use a pin to pop small "bubbles" and a knife in some places, and then reapply setting solution. Not sure what else I can do, but I'm committed now, so it will be what it will be! Part of the challenge is that the AirDoc set places several stencil sections together in large "patches" of decal - rather than stencil by stencil - so once laid down the decal covers a lot of turf with some blank areas between stencils. I've cut some of these apart, but it would be a nightmare to do all of them this way. Oh well - I'll end up with what I bargained for I guess! Hoping the top coating, staining and weathering will diminish the look.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Whooo man - finished the decaling this weekend. Talked to several fellow modelers trying to solve my problems with getting them to lay down without bubbles and such, but nothing seemed to work universally well. I guess chalk it up to "user error!" I'm not going to post any pics of them at this point - want to try to hide them better first!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 7 years, 11 months ago:

I'm sure It'll look fine.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Here's a look at it with all stencils on and panel wash, prior to dullcoating (which I started this morning). Finishing up canopy paint work. To finish: paint pilots; do all shading and weathering; add stabs, tanks and pylons; put on stand. (I desaturated the pic a little bit so the gloss didn't glare so much...)

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Looking good Greg.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Finished and glued to stand last night. Entering into a contest in OKC this weekend, and will post up pics next week. Made a couple of omission errors in my rush to try to finish for the contest (why oh why do I submit to deadline pressure!) - forgot the oxygen hoses and to gloss over the helmets/visors. I could pry the canopy back off (used white glue), but not sure I want to bother.