D.DAY P47 D " Frank Gabreski`s Mount.

Started by Simon Whitney · 145 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Just an idea Simon. Cut out some small "V" shaped wedges from behind the pilot's knees. This should allow for additional bending/moving as needed to get the pilot to fit into position. As the cuts are behind the knees, they will not be seen once the pilot is in place. Hope this helps.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Cheers Seamus, I was thinking down those lines, the thing is , is that one of his hands (The right One) is near the cut line.
    But I will have another look, nothing else to lose, it is that or try fabricating up seat belts, no A/M allowed.

Simon.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Evening Simes, I just had a look in the spares box and I have a pilot that looks WW2 era to me with separate arms , if you want it I can easily pop it in the post no probs,just send me a private message with your address (if you want) no probs if you don't need it though,I won't use it.
    Cheers N.

• Profile Photo

Cheers for the offer Neil, I will operate on "Frank" tomorrow and see how things look.
    But I will keep it in mind.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Simon following your build, your about at the same point as I am with my P-47, I very rarely use figures in my cockpits as most of my builds are configured to be parked on the flight line or tarmac. So far looking good. Hopefully you will figure which way to go with the pilot. My kit came with a zoom set, so ended up using that as a habit. Only to kick myself and forgot this GB was no AM parts other than decals. Next set of images I will post will have those items installed. Anyway keep it coming. Thanks for sharing.

Chuck

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I've built a couple of Monogram Thunderbolts, but this looks like it blows them out of the water! Is the second row of cylinders a separate part or are they molded on the firewall? The instrument panel is just the way I like 'em! Can't wait to see yours done and I think I'll have to get one of my own to go with my Gabreski F-100!

• Profile Photo

Well here is the problem, Frank`s legs get in the way of the instrument panel .

So after careful thought , I am going to operate on Frank.
    As suggested by Seamus, a "v" cut out behind each knee should do it.

I will finish this off tomorrow, once done I will fill the hollow in his back.
    As for the hole is his bum, well we all got one!

• Profile Photo

Cheers Al things are moving, slowly at the moment but when I get Frank sorted out I can continue with the cockpit and get the fuselage together.

• Profile Photo

Josh, the engine comes as two banks of cylinders with the firewall is moulded into the fuselage. There was no decal for the instrument panel so I dried brushed silver and white over the raised bits, when its fitted and the fuselage is together I doubt if you will see much anyhow , but thanks.

• Profile Photo

Chuck, if your kit came with the A/M parts then I cannot see any problems. Mine came with a resin Frank but he was standing.
    Will have a look soon at your build.

Simon.

• Profile Photo

While Frank recovers from his op, I did a bit more to the wings.
    As pointed out I had opened the ejector chutes, but did not realise that there was a probable see through problem arising.

So with a piece of scrap plastic (yogurt carton)

Filled from behind, once the upper wing is on plus the guns you will not notice.

Also have painted the control column

Update later when there is more to show.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo

We don't all got one like that (pic #2),not unless your a regular on Canal Street (Manchester) ! ouch
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I admire your tenacity in the problem solving Simon. I'd just have went with the standing figure, but I look forward to seeing Frank "in situ" in the office 🙂 .

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Ha Ha Ha! You're too much, Neil.

• Profile Photo

Didn't think our American cousins would get that one or did you Google it ?I 've actually been for a drink down Canal St a few times it's a good laugh but you have too mind your manners some of them gay lads are bloody big !
    N.