D.DAY P47 D " Frank Gabreski`s Mount.

Started by Simon Whitney · 145 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Simon looks like you have things well in hand, so to speak.. ;-). I built Gabby's ahh "Frank's" Thunderbolt a while back, in fact it was my first post on iModeler.

I posted just the one picture in the article, but if you'd like to see others I'd be happy to post them for you. I went with the "controversial" Natural Metal undersides
    Rick

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Cheers Rick for the pic.
    I am going for the natural metal underside.
    I have noticed though but I need to do a better job on the wings.
    Will post an update later in the week.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I would have hunted you down had you not made that decision about the underside. 🙂

• Profile Photo

No worries there Tom, I am thinking about blowing over the whole plane silver first before applying the camo. That way I can weather it up.
    Not sure whether to go with dabs of masking fluid over the silver or to scratch off the wear marks with a cocktail stick.
    Anyhow before that I still have to finish the building stage.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo

Simon, one thing to remember about this particular a/c is that it was only in service from D-Day, or shortly before, to 20 July '44 when Gabby dug the prop into the ground and ended up a POW. Additionally, Grabreski was the top U.S. Ace in the ETO & he was the commanding officer of the 61st Fighter Squadron, so his aircraft was very well maintained. So weather it enough to be in use but not a bedraggled old warhorse. Of course it's your model and finish it to please yourself. What ever you do I'm looking forward to seeing it when you've finished it.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Rick, if mine turns out half as good as your one has I will be happy.
    I will only give it a few scuff marks here and there where access has been needed to maintenance hatches etc, but who knows.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Simon, that sounds just right on the weathering. The thing to take from my model is the grey is far to dense. I was going for a wispy look, the best I can describe it low hanging fog that is dense enough in places to block out the sky, and in other places thin enough to see the blue of the sky through the tendrils of fog, with parts that are completely clear. I hope that made sense. As hard as it is to describe, you can imagine how hard it was for a hack painter like me to try to reproduce.

A little background, when the 56th FG started receiving "silver" Thunderbolts, they started painting their own camouflage on the aircraft that they called either "German" or "Luftwaffe" camouflage, using a soft blending of RAF Dark Green & Dark Sea Grey (RAF topside grey) as an air to air camouflage.

Once again I've rattled on way to long, I need to shut up and leave you to it... 🙂

• Profile Photo

No worries there Rick, I read up a bit on the plane, and from the box top pic it shows enough to get the feel of it.
    Whichever way it goes , it will be fun to paint.
    I have cleaned up the wing a bit more and will prime it tomorrow.
    Along with a few more bits as well.
    Being the C.O`s bird I can safely say that there will be no fluffy dice hanging from the gun sight LOL.

Simon.

• Profile Photo

Simon, I think the fuzzy dice would be great...lol

• Profile Photo

OK so it has been a little while since I posted but life other things crop up now and again.

Anyhow after surgery Frank is fine and now being looked after at make up and wardrobe.

Cockpit is together and fitted into the fuselage halves.

Next thing will be to sort out the inspection covers over the guns. They are to be fitted closed as the detail inside is poor to say the least. To larger gaps where the gun bays are.

Once they are done then hopefully I can get on with the rest of the build.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good so far Simes,hoping your having a nice Easter pal.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years ago:

Well a quick update.
    Decided against the open gun bays, the detail was so so , but the gaps around the bays themselves were a no no.
    So on-wards, The fit of the wing parts were not good but at least the wing halves them selves lined up.
    But the fit to the fuselage is absolute c**p!
    See pics.
    Lots of super glue and filler coming up.
    While that drys I have a few bits to get on with.
    Will update next weekend, hopefully.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

Wotcha Simes,Those wing root seams look pretty much par for the course to me ,nothing to get worried about, I usually run some masking tape either side of the seam before filling that way you don't go filling up the surface detail with filler you can even rub 90%off it down before removing the tape then finish off, again to avoid damaging the surface detail, I think I may have shown what I mean on my glider build, the only tricky bit will be where the seam runs through the wheel well, remember not to fill the seam where the flap is though ,I've done that before now and realised too late. As for your camo can't you paint it up first in the dark colour (not the usual way I know) then use the Blutack sausage method putting the Blutack where you want the dark colour to remain.

Coming on nicely though Mate.N.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years ago:

Cheers for that Neil.
    I had a similar idea for the filling part but taping over the gap a filling with glue from the other side.
    As for the painting part not quite sure yet.

Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years ago:

Faith and Begorrah Simon, I should have mentioned earlier that this particular kit has a bad wing fit problem. I built this kit some time ago and ran into the same problem. There is a solution though. Hopefully you did not glue the wing halves together or glue the wings to the fuselage yet. What you have to do is glue the bottom halves to the fuselage, then glue the top halves to the fuselage, then glue the upper and lower halves together. I did it this way and while I still had gaps, they were not as bad as they would have been had I followed the directions. Anyway, it is coming along quite nicely and I look foward to seeing this one finished.