Revell North American B-25 Mitchell "Giant Bomber”

Started by Joe Caputo · 6 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This is a re-pop of a Revell North American B-25 Mitchell (box scale) "Giant Bomber". Neatly stamped inside the body is : Revell, Inc., Venice, Cakif., Copyright 1954. It comes with a clear base which allows the builder to rotate the model, and build it gear up or down. The base, itself, it copyrighted 1953.

I've always loved this box art, even when I bought this kit as an 11-12 year old. I still have the "original", which ended up flat black (no brush marks) and liberally covered with "car" decals, a 1955 version of aftermarket. At first I thought this to be a "Doolittle Raider", but the bottom turret, and decals wiped out that theory. I ended up using my own insignia and "US ARMY" decals, using only the tail code and nose art from the kit.

I didn't expect a lot of detail, although, for it's time, I thought Revell did a great job. It comes with 3 figures, and VERY basic interior (a floorboard) All went well until I came to fitting the canopy and nose glass. I believe there was a little warping. (note: all frame work was molded on the inside of the clear parts). This warping left both main clear pieces with quite a bit of filling late in the game, ruining both the finished product and the building experience. All went so well, I waited to long to trial fit the last pieces. If I had done so, I still don't know of a simple correction to make the parts fit better.

While not totally unhappy, I'm glad it's finished. Had it not been for this group, it would have probably remained in my stash. The box/nose art was too good to pass up.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Glad you had the guts to build this oldtimer instead of ebaying it to kit collectors. I like the nose art! Kudos.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I remember this one! Box scale, like most of their early airplanes, more to fit the box and approximate the real thing. And I was thrilled to have a B-25. I always wondered where, if anywhere, their nose art came from. Their later reissues had different markings. I wonder where the molds are, these days. Good to see the old days, back when it was a lot simpler.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I love seeing these old classics getting built instead of sitting in a closet. Great nose art and build, Joe!

Are you going to post this one in the headlines section?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Do I see printed on the box; scaled from official prints, easy to assemble, no cutting, no sanding, and it comes with a swivel base! And probably all for $.98! What's not to like for a 10 or 11 year old kid. Well done Joe, glad to see you finished her, probably had some fun along the way as well. Thanks for posting.

• Profile Photo
    Paul E. Owens said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Thank you Joe ,this brings me back to the early sixties. I really liked the nose gunner in this kit.