OVER/UNDER SHIP MODELS

Started by FRED BRANYAN · 7 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    FRED BRANYAN said 6 years, 9 months ago:

One of these days I would like to attempt 2 diorama projects I have in mind which would involve showing the entire ship--not just waterline--some of the water below the ship, and darken the water as it goes down. Scale 1/350. Amount of water below the ship in the 6-8" range. One of them will involve an inbound IJN torpedo about to hit a WWII USN ship. These projects would also involve simulating turning props, prop wakes, and the sky background. One of them might involve showing another USN ship in the background. If at all possible I would prefer to stay away from resins and other smelly chemicals but I realize that might be a greedy ambition. The one with the incoming torpedo would also involve simulating gunfire damage to the ship but I have found sites on the net for doing that. Won Hui Lee's recent dioramas are similar to what I have in mind but I have not had luck asking him for details of how he creates his amazing work on this site or MW. This type of work is rarely done and the few folks who have responded to me used resin etc.

For the benefit of my grand kids and other young people I would also like to have some sharks, dolphins, and whales in the water below the ship. I realize in 1/350 this is exceptional greed and insanity but if anyone out there knows where I can find them or if any of our members have the skill to make them I would be happy to contribute to your gin and tonic fund for your support of this project. I have had no luck with net searches on this topic and most others related to over/under dioramas.

If any of our members have done this type of project or have knowledge that would assist it I would very much appreciate it if you would email me at the address below.

Thanks.

Fred Branyan/[email protected]

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Hello Fred,
    My diorama skills are non-existent, not to mention modeling convincing water. Still, I hope this might help:

http://172scale.blogspot.se/2014/06/tbf-1-avenger-ditching-in-sea.html

http://modelloursworkshop.blogspot.se/2011/07/diorama-of-day-saipan-beach.html

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I say this in the true iModeler spirit of comradeship, support, amity, and good faith. Fred, as someone actually qualified to say so, you are nuts.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I kinda agree with David, BUT you are my kind of nuts! I hope you get this done before I die so I can see it - it should be fascinating! (sorry to take up so much space while actually being no help at all...)

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Yep. It'll be the best dio ever made or you'll end up in the booby hatch.

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Fred, if you can pull this off, you will be my eternal hero. Seriously.

My thoughts: as soon as you want to include items swimming under water (torpedoes, Mobby Dick etc.) you will need to use resin. There is simply no way of convincingly attaching these items to let's say the back wall of your diorama. So you will have to pour layers of resin, placing all under water stuff as you go. This is going to be a slow process, as you can pour the resin only in thin layers to prevent it from overheating. Companies like AK Interactive started selling products for creating water, but I am not sure if these products are suitable for the depth you need.

With an infinite amount of patience, you will also be able to recreate the effect of distorted water behind the torpedo, as well as the ships wake.

As to spinning props, in this scale you might get away with clear plastic discs and some airbrushing to get a prop blur effect.

Animals. I think making your own fish is quite possible. Again, in this scale there is not too much detail, so I would just give it a try! I'd suggest a two-part epoxy putty like Miliput Fine, or - even better in my opinion - Green Stuff.

I hope this makes any sense, if you have any questions - shoot!

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I have seen dioramas with poured resin water that was two inches deep and "swimming" detail inside. The alternative seems to be a hollow tinted plexiglass box with water effect created only on the surface...

BTW, some great water dioramas are available at the following site. Mr Rene Molnar (the builder) seems to be a master of the resin technique.
    http://www.jbadiorama.com/dioramas