Work in Progress – Airfix PZKW IV Ausf.b King Tiger Airfix 1:76

Started by Alfredo Cofré · 10 · 6 years ago · 1/76, Airfix, King TIger, PZKW, tank
  • Profile Photo
    Alfredo Cofré said 6 years, 10 months ago:

This is both my first armored vehicle and my first post in iModeler. Hi, everybody! Last summer I was in vacations in Punta Arenas and walking in the Zona Franca (tax free commercial area) I found HUUUUGE ammounts of Airfix boxes. So, I filled my luggage with a dambuster Lancaster and a few tanks, very cheaps 🙂 So, here we go woth the first thing, a King Tiger. Please, forgive me if I made some mistakes. My personal policy is to make as many mistakes as I can, to maximize the learning. Here we go.

This is the bad boy. Dear Airfix, why 1:76? 1:72 is a perfect companion for airplanes! Anyway. The assembing is very, very easy and as always with this new Airfix kits, the sprues quality is superb. Gone are the times were you had to clean every freaking piece for loose plastic sprue. Even my faithful modelling companion was compelled to install some wheels (actually he wanted to put them all).

So many wheels... I know little about tanks, this will be an awesome learning project. I put the tracks just to have everything together and see the general building. Here, the "shooter" quality control, shum shum pfff! (that's what he said). After no more than 1.5 hours we have this bad boy 95% glued, easily breakable for painting. That will be another day.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Alfredo, welcome! Nice work on your tank, and good to see you have a helper. Went together well, looks like, so on to the painting.
    Which Lancaster did you get ? I know they have 2-3 different ones, at this point, Dam Buster, B II, and the "regular" one. All have their points and build up well.
    Buena suerte! Benevenidos!

• Profile Photo
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Wonderful story, Alfredo (and photos)...good to see you got your 'assistant" starting early. Maybe you could get him one of those "Snap-Tite" kits and let him have at it by himself. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Is too young yet, he barely has 3. But fear not! Because I'm sure if I ever visit "The Temple" Mirax with him, he will leave with some kind of model for himself.

BTW, The Temple: http://www.mirax.cl/

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Hola, Alfredo.

Muy bien hecho! Espero que tienes muchos años de placer con plastico!

David

David

• Profile Photo
    Alfredo Cofré said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Today my step son killed my RN Pola and my Spitfire diorama 🙁 Anyway, modelling blues pass building models and didn't felt like fixing things today.

Zimmerit. First and last try.

This primer looks brutal

A couple of rust tones separated with hair spray. Let's hope it works.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Glad to see you're starting your helper right!

• Profile Photo
    Alfredo Cofré said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Masking with blu-tac and the basic three tone paint. I will add two more layers with brush.

• Profile Photo
    Alfredo Cofré said 6 years, 6 months ago:

This is the end, my only friend, the end

Airfix PZKW IV Ausf.b King Tiger Airfix 1:76