iModeler

H2R (26 posts)

  • I’d say reading our friend Harry’s article on the H2R made me get it out the stash cupboard and on the bench. I don’t think I really need to say much about the kit as Harry covered it in depth on his articles so I’ll just start by posting some photos of the real thing.

    Here’s a couple of modified bikes.

    For me this is the most exciting motorcycle ever produced!
    I first seen one at the Birmingham NEC a couple of years ago when it was first unveiled. I was lucky enough to inspect it close up but obeyed all the signs saying “do not even think about touching the bike!”. Then they briefly talked about the concept of the bike, described in depth how the supercharger works, handed out ear plugs and put it on the rolling road.
    I was stood about five metres away as it was gradually revved up to twelve thousand RPM, and can safely say it was the most amazing vehicle related ‘thing’ I’ve ever seen in my entire life! The manifold was glowing, there was literally blue fire blazing from the exhaust and it definitely exceeded the decibel limit even for some race tracks!
    Half a year later I was stood at the bottom of Bray Hill as James Hillier took it for a flying lap of the Isle of Mann TT. He came over the top of the leap at 170 mph on the rear wheel, sparks and fire bouncing off the road! It was the first time he had ever rode the bike and he set the record for the fastest speed ever recorded on the island through the Sulby speed trap. This bike is just in a different league to any other bike ever…

  • Looks like a real challenge if one wanted to replicate the color(s) on that exhaust.

  • I’ll try my best mate, can’t promise anything though!

  • For anyone wanting proof of the bikes performance, watch some you tube videos of it in action. It is ridiculously fast!

    I purchased a few after market goodies for this one. Zero paints provided the paint set, complete with a metallic pigment to buff the fairings with. I’ve got no idea how that works yet, but did get latex gloves with the set so I’ll assume it is a delicate process. I’ll do a test run on a spare part first and include it in the work in progress.

    The head stock on the bike is made from carbon fibre and I really wanted to replicate that on the model. I watched numerous tutorials on how to make your own templates using masking tape and a pencil, then much to my relief Studio 27 released a decal set.

    The new airbrush booth had been left for me by the post man in the back shed when I got home on Friday. I’ve still got the big cardboard box though which I will have to use for big aircraft.

    The engine itself is fairy complex and consists of numerous parts. As per usual I gave it a coat of gloss black as a primer. But that’s it for tonight as I have work in the morning. I’ll test some new paints on the engine block tomorrow.

  • Hi Richard, I see that Tamiya are releasing their own carbon fibre decal sheets, unfortunately you have to cut them to the shapes you want though, still, it’s a step in the right direction.

  • Hi mate, I’ve still got a couple of uncut Studio 27 sheets of it to be honest, but the Tamiya one might be worth checking out. It would be really hard to do the head stock on this bike without the pre cut decals because of all the crazy angles. It would be a nightmare trying to get the carbon fibre weave to match up! I’ve seen it done in Tamiya magazine though using masking tape to cut the shapes.
    I’ve went over the top of the gloss black on the engine block with Gravity colours liquid metal silver. First time I’ve used it and it went down spot on.

  • That’s the engine block done. It’s quite different from other bikes due to the supercharger and airbox. One of the things I love about these modern Tamiya kits is you get a real understanding of the engineering and design of the actual machine.

  • Great start, Richard.
    Especially the supercharger looks very convincing. How did you do these silver clips between supercharger and air box?

  • Thanks mate, cheers. I sprayed the top bit silver first, then cut some masking tape into thin strips with the knife. I masked the area with the strips then went over with a flat red.
    I use the same technique for doing exhaust welds.

  • Thought so, Richard.
    I know the TMM article you’re referring to above. Keep the pace, this is going to be a screamer.

  • Amazing work Richard, following with great interest!

  • Amazingly real, Rich! Great work!

  • Thanks for all the compliments and support guys, it’s much appreciated!
    I painted the frame using the zero paint set. I painted it chrome first then applied the candy green over the top.

  • Nice work on the engine and frame, Richard.

  • Cheers George!
    Right, where was I with the H2R. I’ve been somewhat distracted from modelling with the release of the new Gran Turismo on the Playstation! I’ve got a couple of weeks holiday now so I should get a bit done.

    A couple of quick sub assemblies here. The shocker calls for the same candy green colour as the frame, so I painted the stand the same colour also, get a bit of a theme going.
    The rear swing arm consisted of a few different parts but went together spot on. The rear shocker screws neatly into place. I went for a different approach with the chain and dry brushed it, seems to have brought the detail on the links out nicely.