3 Hasegawa F6F Hellcats, #1 Daytona Beach NAS 1944-45, #2 Blue Angels Bird, #3 Target Tow or Drone

Started by Louis Gardner · 121 · 6 years ago · 1/48, F6F, Hasegawa, Hellcat
  • Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Watching !

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 8 months ago:

I dunno how I missed this one the first time around, Louis, but I'm eagerly awaiting your always well-done presentation of these 'Cats. A refreshing change of livery for the F-6F. (Wonder what's in that 'crash' area of DAB now?).

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 8 months ago:

I have to catch up on a lot of things, so now I could have a first look at this project Louis. Very interesting and specialy the target tugs are a unusual subject. Great addition to the YotC group and looking forward to your updates. Cheers, Ferry.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and cheering me on. I also learned from the photos posted of the original planes. I wasn't aware of these differences especially with the tail wheel and antenna leads.

This prompted me to do some more research and I found some pretty cool pictures of the drones and the Bikini Atoll Atomic test planes. Thanks again for the heads up about the differences on these planes.

I'm going to try and spray some interior green paint in a few. Please stay tuned.

• Profile Photo

Craig, I'm not 100 percent sure about the exact location of the crash site, but it looks a lot like it was right off the end of the runway. I can remember going out the the airport as a kid before they even had the flight line fenced off. The area looked a lot like the way it does in the photo.

• Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Hey Louis, love your choice of a group of four Hellcats- you may have noticed the wing tip mod on #15 in the later picture- not sure if the bulge on the wing tip shows in the earlier picture, additionally, the two pictures may be of two BuNos which had #15 at to different times...

• Profile Photo

East end or West end of the runway...? If I had to guess, I'd say East (probably where the cemetery is now).

• Profile Photo

Thanks for posting the question Dan.

Yes I did notice the wing tip modification. If you look closely at the other picture of the same plane, it's visible there too.

I was hoping for a simple build with only a small amount of mods being necessary. Initially when I chose this particular subject as a build, I wasn't aware of the different wing tip. So I learned something here.

Thanks for pointing this out. Meanwhile I'm doing some more research to see if I can find some photos of a similar plane without the wingtip changes.

Honestly Craig, the location could have even been at the N / S (16 and 34) runway which is much shorter.

The buildings as I remember them were located near the end of 16.
    They extended the runway back in 1992 (on the west end of 7L) by a considerable distance. The original 7L runway ended almost even with Thames Rd. years ago. We used to go there and watch the planes take off. They would fly right over you at a very low altitude.

The crash sight very well could have been right where Clyde Morris is now too, at the east end of 25R.

I am very curious about this Hellcat crash location, and plan on doing some digging to try and narrow it down.

Back in August 1937, a DC-2 that was operated by Eastern Airlines, crashed in the area that is now one of the Cemeteries on Bellevue Ave. The plane crashed on top of the hill on the North side of Bellevue. There were some fatalities. I think 4 out of the 9 persons on board died.

I found these pictures from the Daytona Beach News Journal...

• Profile Photo

Oh, that's right...all that "stuff" at the North end of the field wasn't there, either. I was thinkin' "into the wind" (which is usually blowin' in from the Atlantic).

• Profile Photo

It very well could have been into the wind, which normally would lead to a take off going right out over Clyde Morris. This is the same route the DC-2 shown in the photos above was taking.

• Profile Photo

Yeah...we have to remember that whole area looked much, much different than it does now (kinda like US). 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Paulo Castro said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Good project. I'll be watching.
    Godspeed!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

After a lengthy pause, today I was able to get the cockpits built for three F6F's at the Gardner "Iron Works".

I'm getting ready to spray paint some "interior green " next.

Please stay tuned for future updates.

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

A quick little update:

I realized that I had been talking about building 4 Hellcat planes. Plus I had another kit in the stash that was open.

So I pulled it out and built another cockpit.

Now there are 4 ready for some "interior green ".

I'm getting ready to spray these and a few others from other builds that are ready for paint.

Thanks again for looking and following along with this build.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

What an assembly line! Looks like modelers Bethpage, back in the day!