3 Hasegawa F6F Hellcats, #1 Daytona Beach NAS 1944-45, #2 Blue Angels Bird, #3 Target Tow or Drone

Started by Louis Gardner · 121 · 6 years ago · 1/48, F6F, Hasegawa, Hellcat
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Good ONE Louis, how do you do the exhaust staining on a gloss finish ?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I used the Tamiya Weathering Master Item number 87079 "Deck A" set. The color I used from the set was "Light Sand"... I'm not 100 percent sure that I like how this turned out since the exhaust staining should have more of tan and light gray tint to it.

I may wipe this off and try it again using something else...

• Profile Photo

Today I was working on the canopy for the Blue Angels plane.

At first I tried to remove it in one piece. This was not successful. I ended up cracking it.

The next step was to clean up the areas where the canopy was glued to the fuselage.

Then I borrowed a canopy from one of the remaining Hasegawa F6F-5 kits in the stash. I have a replacement vacuum formed one that I am going to use on the kit where I borrowed the parts.

You may ask why didn't I just use the vacuum formed part on this one ? The answer is that I didn't want to pose the canopy open. I wanted to use it for another future build...

After cleaning up the places where the clear trees attached to the parts I masked them off in preparation for painting.

First color sprayed on was the interior green. However in some late War Hellcat planes these were painted in flat black along with the fuselage sides from the side consoles upwards.

Here's how it turned out:

The next color was Insignia Blue.

Then I removed the tape from the clear sections of the canopy and sprayed on some Future.

I'll let this dry and then install the replacement canopy on the Blue Angels plane.

Too bad I wasn't able to salvage the original.

After dinner I will try to get some decals placed on this one.
    As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 4 months ago:

That was unfortunate Louis, why did you need to remove it ? one of the advantages of using Future to attach canopies is it's not that strong and they can be removed if needed ! the replacements look good anyway, lucky you had some !

• Profile Photo

Hey Allan...

The original canopy was very cloudy on the insides, and blue paint had somehow managed to get sprayed on the undersides of the canopy too... It managed to sneak inside somehow... I thought I had everything sealed up but apparently not. The cloudiness looks as if it was a clear that was not applied correctly and very thin... Just enough to make it hazy.

My best guess is that paint overspray somehow managed to get into the fuselage through the lower "hot air" exit just below and behind the cowling... The area just above the place where the drop tank would normally go.

What concerns me now is what if this happened on the other two remaining 'Cats ? Not good.

I didn't use future to glue the canopy in place this time... Lesson learned. I'll make sure not to use anything much stronger than future next time for sure...

Yes I was very lucky to have another kit like this one in the stash.

and I will use Future to install this one ! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Well I made some progress, and found another setback... But I'll get to that in a few...

Here's the new canopy installed on the Blue Angels plane... I went back and used some white glue to fill in a few small gaps that were present after the canopy was installed... using "Future" this time as an adhesive. Lesson learned...

A little touch up paint around the canopy after it has dried and we should be good to go.

Then we were off and running !
    I used some Bare Metal Foil to wrap the oleo portions of the landing gear. This replicates the shock portion of the landing gear...

Then I installed the main gear wheels...
    The Blue's 'Cat is on it's feet now.

I also painted and installed the arrestor hooks on the Blue's "Cat and the Orange Drone.

Speaking of the Orange Drone... This was the setback...

I need to remove and possibly replace the canopy on it too. The base coat of white paint managed to sneak into the cockpit and cloud up the clear parts... pretty badly.

So I did some more investigation work and think I may have discovered the culprit... I'm pointing to a small gap here with the toothpick...

It's quite possible the same thing happened to the Blue's plane...

I may end up using the vacuum formed canopy here on this one and getting another one to replace the one I borrowed from another kit...

Or I could simply correct another problem I just noticed...

The Drone plane has a later style dash 5 windscreen on it and that isn't correct. It should have an earlier style dash 3 front windscreen...

So I may end up borrowing another one from another dash 3 'Cat in the stash... I haven't exactly decided which route I'll be going just yet. I may even be able to salvage this canopy... Time will tell.

I guess everything happens for a reason. This mistake with the white overspray revealed a building error... So at least now I can correct it and make it all better... 🙂

As usual, comments are encouraged.

Calling it a night.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I'm calling this one done...

Two down, two to go.

Please stay tuned for a new article about the Blue Angels F6F later on tonight.
    UPDATED
    Here's a link to the article where the Blue Angels plane has been posted.

Hasegawa 1/48 “Year of the Cat” F6F-5 Hellcat, the first U.S. Navy Blue Angels plane
    I'm pretty stoked about how this one turned out. Later tonight I'll try to get some more work done with the Drone F6F As usual comments are encouraged. Thanks
  • Profile Photo

Earlier today I painted the vacuum formed canopy for the Drone Hellcat.

I was able to remove the original kit canopy parts intact, with little or no damage to the plane.

I decided to try and use the vacuum formed one I had in the stash on the Orange / Red Drone F6F and pose the new replacement canopy in the open position.

First color after it was all masked, was Interior Green...

Followed shortly afterwards with white, to act as a base color for the Red. I learned my lesson with the cowling when it didn't match... Hopefully things will be better this time.

Finally the last color was the Chevy Engine Red, which has an obvious Orange tint to it...

Later on tonight, I'll remove the masking and see what happens from there.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Nice TWO Louis, looks good in shiny insignia blue, I've had a similar problem with spray getting in through a hole, we need to be so carefull about that, hopefully you can remove this canopy intact ! -------------------,

This comment is a bit out of sequence, I posted it after the pic' of the Angel then your posting moved it down the page !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan for the compliments... You are absolutely correct my friend about having to be careful. I never expected this to happen.

Upon closer inspection after I removed the original kit canopy, I found where the paint over spray seeped in. It was along the rear vertical edges of the canopy almost exactly where I was pointing at earlier with the tooth pick...

I was successful in removing the canopy from the vacuum formed plastic. First I made sure that a brand new #11 blade was installed. Then very carefully I scribed along the edges using my razor modeling knife. Multiple passes were made with the razor using light pressure. Once it was removed from the surrounding plastic, a few swipes with the sanding stick took care of the edges.

Here's the new canopy installed.

Now it's a waiting game while I wait for the glue to dry. Then some minor touch up painting of the orange will be required.

Overall I'm happy with how it looks this time.

Now I'll be doing some work on the Target Tow plane while this one is drying.

Take care everyone, and thanks for reading so far.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo

Here are some pictures from last nights progress.

I concentrated on constructing the landing gear of both remaining planes.

First step was to wrap the oleo struts with "Ultra Bright Chrome" Bare Metal Foil. This gives a fairly decent representation of the shock absorber part of the landing gear. On the real planes these parts are highly polished to a super smooth finish and are chrome lined to keep the wear on the seals down to a minimum.

This close up pictures shows the results using Bare Metal Foil.

Then it was simply a matter of gluing on the wheels since I had them pre painted.

The Target Tow Plane received the same treatment... Here you can see my trusty tooth pick pointing out the chrome struts. If you look over to the other landing gear it's visible there too...barely though.

Then the Target Tow plane was on its wheels too...

This morning the canopy glue had dried, so I gave it a little touch up painting. I am very pleased with how the canopy turned out. Even more so once I realized that I had mistakenly installed the later "Dash 5" canopy windscreen.

Now it has the proper early style windscreen. I was able to salvage the original clear parts I had installed and they are back in the kit box where they belong.

This close up shows the canopy and cockpit after some minor touch up work was done... (I had some slight over spray residue to contend with on the interior green).

This final picture shows how the last two 'Cats look at this moment.

Hopefully today will be productive and I can get some more work done on these two...

Now for the closing statement:

"Comments are encouraged"...

• Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 3 months ago:

As you know Louis, I’m a new member to imodeler. I came across your post and binge read it like a Netflix TV series. You and I seem to have a very similar build philosophy. Watching your hellcats come together with all the progress pictures has been wonderful. I wish I’d taken more of my P – 51 builds.

I see that you go through a lot of tape as well!. I would’ve painted the gray fuselage on the target tug first. This could’ve acted as a primer and you might’ve seen the seams on the leading edges sooner. Then you could’ve just dusted the wings with white followed by yellow leaving the fuselage masked until after the wing stripes and walks were painted. Since I do a lot of multiple builds, I try to plan out the painting order to make things as easy as possible for me. Nonetheless, I have had many “doh!” moments and might have cursed some too.

I couldn’t help but notice that in one of your pictures you have at least 10 corsairs in the background. Look forward to following your progress on these cats as well as your future builds.

Mark

• Profile Photo

Mark,
    Welcome aboard here at Imodeler ! I have been watching your Mustangs as they progress... They are truly works of art and your painting looks flawless.

Thanks for taking the time to read this whole endeavor. I sincerely appreciate this, and your comparison to Netflix is funny as you know what...

Funny that you should mention the painting technique of spraying the Gray first...
    Initially I thought I would go that route too. But I decided it would be easier to mask off the wings and control surfaces rather than go the other way and have to mask off the fuselage.

In hindsight, your way probably would have been easier, and I'm sure the leading edge gaps on the Target Tow plane would have been found much earlier.

Like you I try to paint the same things all at once that are the same color. It just makes sense to me. Yes tape is used all too often on my builds. Sometimes I look forward to a single monotone color on a plane, and I have a few of these in store for this year.

One is an overall RLM 76 Me-262 jet fighter. I started a build thread here but as of yet nothing has been done to it.

http://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/148-tamiya-me-262-s-early-production-version-red-3/

Ironically I also have a set of Mustang builds posted here too, but they are sitting idle just as the German jet has been.

Here's a link to the Mustang builds.
    http://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/148-tamiya-p-51d-mustang-as-flown-by-major-george-preddy-cripes-a-mighty/

I may just add a new Airfix Mustang in with the Tamiya kits.

I think we all have those "doh!" moments. It comes with the territory. I have had my share of them too...

Yes I have quite a large stash of unbuilt F4U's... Good eye !

This picture shows the earlier versions. 1/48 Birdcage through dash 1D planes...mostly Tamiya kits

These are mainly 1/48 Hobby Boss kits and carry through with the dash 4 to dash 7 versions...

This section is for mainly Hasegawa and include a few Special Hobby F2G Super Corsair kits (which were re boxed by Accurate Miniatures too)

Lastly are the big brothers... I have three of the old Revell 1/32 kits. (two in one box) and a bunch of resin parts to make them more 'up to date"... Then of course Tamiya released their wonderful kit of the Corsair, but I have yet to buy one though...

Thanks again for checking out this build log.

Unfortunately today not much was accomplished at the Iron Works... That thing we call life got in the way again today...

Maybe I can get some stuff done out there tonight... We will see.

As usual,
    "Comments are encouraged"...

• Profile Photo

I made some more progress on the Target Tow plane.

To begin with, I masked off the areas that I didn't want painted with "Engine Gray".

Here's a little trick I learned about masking from working on full sized cars, regarding detail painting...

You can use plain old aluminum foil to mask off areas. Id has an advantage of not being sticky and will not break off little parts as easily as tape will. So I simply wrap the areas in foil, then mask along the edges to keep overspray from getting under the foil and messing up the underlying paint.

The foil also can be stuffed into things like cowlings fairly easy...

Here in this picture I used it to wrap the Pratt and Whitney R2800... You can also see how I taped the edges of the foil where it meets the fuselage sides.

This photo shows the cowling after I sprayed on some Engine Gray. It is still very wet at this point. Eventually it dries with a flat sheen. By chance I found that an old glue bottle was the perfect size to hold the part while I sprayed it...

These two pictures show the fuselage and cowling after both have been sprayed.

I'm using Model Master enamels on these planes. The "Engine Gray" color that is called for on the Target Tow plane is FS 36076. Sadly a while ago they quit producing the gloss version which was FS 16076. The first numbers indicate the gloss of a particular color.
    1 is for gloss
    2 is for s semi-gloss
    3 is for flat finishes.

I know the color will dry different than how it looks here. This is the same color as viewed from the bottom of the bottle. Proper mixing and even the base color and spraying techniques can all affect how the final color actually looks.

After things dried... (notice how flat this color is), I had another canopy problem. I am thinking it had to be something I did when I assembled these that allowed a slight amount of over spray to seep inside the canopy...

If you look close here, you will see how it's blotched on the inside of the glass in this picture below.

Here's the overall appearance of the plane at this point in the game...

I knew that something had to be done...with the canopy... so I managed to pry off the windscreen without causing any damage...

I guess practice makes perfect. But this is getting old...
    Now I simply used a dry Q-tip swab and cleaned the inside of the clear parts...
    This shows the results afterwards on the cotton swab. You can see the green residue... I used two swabs getting it cleaned. But thankfully, it was done without too much grief.

So the next logical step was to glue it back on again and hope for the best since I was only going to be spraying clear from now on...
    Here's a close up of the canopy afterwards... Right after this picture was taken, I touched up the excess glue that was along the lower leading edge of the windscreen. It looks a whole lot better now...

Finally I sprayed several coats of Future and let it sit. Here's how the plane looks now.

While this one dries some, I'll tackle the decals on the Orange Drone ... Good Ol' Number 7...

and a great big Thanks go out to Martin and his staff for fixing the build log so we can continue to post here.

Take care !

• Profile Photo

I just finished the decals on the Number 7 drone !

I'm pretty stoked .

Now I will let it set overnight and spray some Future on the plane to seal the decals.

Then I have to build the special antennas and paint the anti skid wing walks. Then it will need some exhaust staining.

Possibly tomorrow this one will be completed. I'm calling it a night.

Comments are encouraged.