'Flying Tiger'

Started by IAN JACKSON · 7 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, AVG
  • Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Airfix kit with Kits World decals (148-058) to build (probably) Pappy Boyingtons' aircraft #21. Most likely will be a completely OOB project, probably some etch belts but that's all.

Ian.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Excellent choice, don't believe many people knew that Pappy Boyington of Black Sheep fame was a "Flying Tiger" as well.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Nice one Ian, you could have two kitty's in one with another decal option !

• Profile Photo

Yeah, but I have another 'cat' in-mind for further down the pike, Allan.

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Great choice Ian. Is this also one of the new Airfix toolings?

• Profile Photo

Yep, already built their Vampire, Defiant & Spitfire, got a GR7/9 Harrier, Hurri Mk.I and now the P-40 to build, and already looking at the new Stuka !

Got an awful lot of red boxes on the shelf this year.

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

The new Airfix red boxes are very good !

I built one of these new tool P-40's in early December of last year. It turned out very nice. I have seen a surviving example of an actual Pearl Harbor survivor P-40 and took a ton of detail photos of it.

All of the little nit picking you hear on line about how this isn't just right, or that looks wrong is hog wash... The flaps do have a small gap when they are fully raised. The kit depicts this very well. The "Nun's Hat" looks pretty darn good too. Even the wheel wells have a canvas cover just like the real one...

If you need any detail pics please let me know...

Thanks my friend, for starting this build thread. I'll be watching it for sure, especially a "Boyington" plane ! Building an AVG plane flown by Boyington is on my "bucket list".

Welcome aboard ...