1/32 Special Hobby Tempest V

Started by David Mills · 109 · 5 years ago · 100 years of the RAF group build, Hawker, Tempest
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 8 months ago:

The Tempest, originally known as the Typhoon II, was an improved derivative of the Hawker Typhoon, intended to address the Typhoon's unexpected fall-off of performance at high altitude by replacing its wing with a thinner laminar flow design. Having diverged considerably from the Typhoon, it was chosen to rename the aircraft Tempest. The Tempest emerged as one of the most powerful fighters of World War II and was the fastest single-engine propeller-driven aircraft of the war at low altitude.

Upon entering service in 1944, the Tempest was used as a low-level interceptor, particularly against the V-1 flying bomb threat, and it successfully targeted the rail infrastructure in Germany and Luftwaffe aircraft on the ground, as well as countering such attacks by German fighters. The Tempest was effective in the low-level interception role, including against newly developed jet-propelled aircraft such as the Messerschmitt Me 262.

I picked this kit up about a year ago and when this group build came along it seemed like the perfect opportunity to build it. This will be a step up for me both in terms of scale but also in terms of the complexity of the kit. Work and Life have got in the way a bit this year, however lets see how we get on

So what's in the box?

The kit at first sight looks superb, lovely detail and moulding. This is the Hi Tech version so it includes some photo etch, resin, seat harness and masks.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I checked a number of sources on line, and it became clear that while the kit was in many ways superb, tolerances were small and there were issues with fit particularly with the cockpit structure, undercarriage bays and the fuselage to wing fit, causing some builders to resort to drastic surgery to get everything to fit. Tom Cleavers post here at imodeler was a big help.

First inspection of the fuselage, nose and wing pieces suggested that a thorough clean up of the mating faces of the main parts was necessary.

After making sure that the mating surfaces were clean and even I spent the next few hours sanding and test fitting.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Well David, this IS fantastic! Great to see the Tempest underway and looking good already. Seeing it in your hand in the photo reminds me how big these were - especially in height - at a little over 16ft significantly taller than many other single engined aircraft!

Thanks for adding this - it is going to be a great addition to the group!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul. I am only sorry it has taken so long to get it posted ! The positive side is that I am a bit further ahead than it appears and will be able to post fairly regularly from here on in.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Read my review of building this kit over at Modeling Madness. It'll help.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/cleaver/gb/fighter/tctemp.htm

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Yeah, my post her at IM is the same.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Kermit Weeks is restoring two Tempests. The Tempest V with the liquid cooled engine and the Tempest II with the air cooled engine being restored in his shops down in Florida by a Englishman. He has a YouTube series of the two air frames and gives a little info on there progress. I like to look at them for my modeling projects for inspiration and hopes of seeing them take to the sky.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kermit+weeks+Tempest+V

This short opens the series and shows the Tempest V before it was brought to the states.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Love(d) this scale...be watchin' your progress.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Tom, its been a great help,I keep referring to it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Stephen I will be sure to check these out!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Craig, good to have you along.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looking forward to following this, a great aircraft in a perfect scale, thank for sharing, David.

• Profile Photo

Thank - you David !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

I remember seeing a real radial engine Tempest II when I was much younger. I remembered it as being a big airplane. After looking at the picture you posted where you are holding it, I started thinking about those memories again... Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and like the others, I'll be following along on this journey too... Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks @lgardner great to have you along friend