1/32 Special Hobby Tempest V

Started by David Mills · 109 · 5 years ago · 100 years of the RAF group build, Hawker, Tempest
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 8 months ago:

The next step was to attach the nose including the radiator assembly to the fuselage. the instructions would have you assemble the nose, including the radiator assembly completely before attaching it and the completed fuselage.
    I have chosen to build up the fuselage sides side by side first and then glue one half to the other - this should hopefully minimise any issues around the nose/ fuselage join!

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

That’s a cool idea to build it in halves, David. I wonder why it was designed without the nose already attached? It’s looking really good! Looking forward to seeing the next steps.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Good to see you are following my "map thru the minefield." 🙂

As regards the "why" of the design, that was so they could do the radial-engine Tempest II.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, the special hobby instructions are probably best treated as suggestions to be confirmed by test fitting.I would like to be able to claim the fuselage half idea as one of my own but Tom and one or two others have been down that road before.Needless to say its a much better option.

• Profile Photo

Just a few pics showing the installation of the radiator assembly prior to buttoning up the fuselage !

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

You're looking good, David. Be sure to scrape the edges because it's a tight fit.

• Profile Photo

Great stuff, David, enjoying this immensely!

• Profile Photo

Tom@tcinla was right - while the fuselage buttoned up perfectly for the most part - it was apparent that the main problem would be the front face of the radiator and its fit to the inside of the "chin".

While the radiator face fitted fine to the starboard side it left an annoying gap of just under 1mm on the port side.

The port side could be pushed into position and glued from the rear but had to be held in place while the glue dried.

Initial fixing was done with tamiya extra thin, the assembly could be held by hand while this was done.
    Once this was secure the rear joins of the radiator front were backfilled with revell contacta - which flowed into the gaps nicely - so far so good.
    Trouble was I needed to secure everything in place while it all set - in the correct position.
    Clearly an infernal contraption and purpose built jig of my own devising would be required!

But would it all work?
    I put it all aside to set overnight...
    And in the morning...

there was some slight oozing of glue and styrene around the far edge of the join, but nothing that could not be fixed and may not be visible once painted and the intake installed.
    To ease the installation of the rear of the radiator and the rest of the assembly ( yes I am pretty sure it will all works!?) I have left the underside of the "chin" unglued to give me just a little wriggle room!.

Stay tuned!

• Profile Photo

Very good! When all is done, you need to paint the assembly in the middle of the radiator face Medium Sea Grey. Don't worry, it's easy with a 0000 brush.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom@tcinla the colour of that air intake assembly has been bugging me since I painted it - its push fit at the moment so easily fixed!

• Profile Photo

After the last issues I was dreading putting the rest of the radiator assembly together.
    However as often seems the case with this kit the parts in question simply snapped into place.
    Sigh of relief !

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Loving this build log. I have the Aifix 1/24 Typhoon (as I’m sure many people here do) and this is making me itch to get the box out.

The detail here is amazing, takes a lot of patience and skill to keep this standard up. My default is to rush things, which I really need to reign in.

• Profile Photo

Thank you David@dirtylittlefokker-when this kit works it really works brilliantly.Sometimes it is a bit of a puzzle which has to be solved and I enjoy that just as much.
    If you didn't rush in from time to time you wouldn't have the Enterprise or Ye Olde Pub!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

It’s looking just great, David. Brilliant close up photography.

• Profile Photo

The Mr Paint colours are doing you proud, David. And you are using them beautifully! This is looking wonderful! I thought of you yesterday when I saw a clip with some details that the Eurofighter Typhoon is going to be superseded by a Tempest! Again!