1/32 Special Hobby Tempest V

Started by David Mills · 109 · 5 years ago · 100 years of the RAF group build, Hawker, Tempest
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Many thanks Chuck!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Well Telford was a lot of fun and it was great to chat to various exhibitors about enormous Lancasters not to mention Hellcats. It has made a bit of a hole in the posting schedule so here are a few more shots for now ...

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 5 months ago:

That’s coming along great, David.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

David, that paint job is perfect - the scale effect is spot on. I love RAF builds that look like they are sitting under grey skies! They probably were! You have done a lovely job with this - well done - nearly there!

• Profile Photo

Of the resurrection of rivets...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

It has been a little while since I have checked out your progress... and I must say what I see looks fantastic !

Well done David.

• Profile Photo

When I started using the masks, I thought I was, just making things more complicated than they need to be ( why change the habit of a lifetime!)... but they have turned out well... I used the trumpeter rivet wheel for the re riveting and it worked fairly well although it can be difficult to see where exactly you are placing the wheel - I used automotive vinyl tape to help with the re riveting.
    Anyway more photos...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 5 months ago:

That’s shaping up great , David. The paint looks spot on.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

That riveting really pops, David. This is peaking perfectly!

• Profile Photo

Hello All,
    Life has taken a hectic turn lately so apologies for taking a while to post again, having got the fuse and wings together with some careful gluing, but no real problems, I have worked on finishing the paint...

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings to all !

It been a while and having made it through December time is beginning to come free again.

The last photo in the post above was taken back in November the evening before setting off for Telford.

The bulk of the work done but all the little bits, nav lights, undercarriage, aerials etc all still to be done.

I packed up like never before and headed of to Telford taking the Tempest with me.

The club had unofficial 1/32 fighter build going so the others were keen for me to get the Tempest more or less completed, so after a few hours in the hotel room and on the stand ( and queuing for the new Eduard Tempest) here it is - still a few bits still to do but almost there!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 4 months ago:

While I was there I snapped a selection of other Tempests on display !

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

A great collection of Tempests. As dear Will Shakespeare himself quoted in his great play about the RAF, ‘the Tempest’ - “our rivets now have ended...” he also wrote (same play) about Telford model judges, “hell is empty and all the devils are here...”

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Impressive David. I think masks add another dimension to the build. After all the real thing didn't have decals. They used paint which more true to form. I've enjoyed watching your progress and the photo's of the show brings home the notion that no modeler is a island unto himself. Seeing the photos of the other Tempests is frosting on the cake.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 1 month ago:

At last 'all the little bits' its amazing how long all these seem to have taken...nearly there...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.