1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon Mk.IB

Started by Tom Bebout · 55 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Finally ready to begin my entry into the 100 Year Anniversary of the RAF Group Build. Got an aftermarket seat and exhause to enhance it's appearance. Going to go with the kits decals and represent EK183 from No.56 Squadron.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I like your choice for the markings Tom... "US A". If you happen to run into any snags along the way, can you post them up ? I have a few Hasegawa "Tiffies" in the stash.
    Thanks bud...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

'US A' well spotted Louis - and a great choice indeed, Tom - I'm looking forward to this immensely!

• Profile Photo

Louis, I wondered if anybody would catch the US A markings.

• Profile Photo

I zeroed right in on that one ... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Well construction begins with the cockpit, and that's what I did yesterday morning and a little this morning as well. I brush painted the "bird cage" interior with Model Master RAF Interior Green enamel and then added an aftermarket seat. Then gave it a little home made black wash to show some of the details.

Used acrylic black for the instrument panel then dry brushed the gauges with chrome enamel. Picked out some of the dials and levers and added a drop of clear gloss acrylic to simulate the glass. So far no issues.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Tom, great looking cockpit. Whose aftermarket seat? Decals or hand painted instrument panel?

• Profile Photo

I agree with Bernard ! The IP looks fantastic ... as do the new seat and rudder troughs.

• Profile Photo

Bernie the panel is hand painted, I didn't like the looks of the decal included in the kit. The seat is from Quickboost.

• Profile Photo

Little more work today, got the instrument panel attached to the bird cage cockpit.

Not any real issues, just small parts with a lot of flex to it. Glued the radiator to the fuselage, next the cockpit, nice fit, then the fuselage halves together. Now the top of of the fuselage is divided into 4 separate pieces. This allows you to either stage the cockpit door open or to keep it closed. Still debated whether to open or close the door. I'm leaning to keep it open.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good Tom.

• Profile Photo

As nice as the front office looks, I'd go with the open door...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I'm with Louis. Be a shame to close up all that nice detail.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Tom, good start on the Hase Tiffie, car door type. Fun kit to build, everyone mentions how Tamiya kits go together well. So do most of the Hase kits this generation. Though the multi -part fuselage approach I didn't care about too much. Which Hase used for their bubble top version which appeared a bit later. I displayed mine with the door opened. Your IP is incredible, back in the mid 90's i could do that with a paintbrush, but I don't think I can now. Though my eyesight is still ok, my hands are not as steady. That's why I use the zoom sets for the cockpit now. Anyway looking forward to more of this WIP.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I have to agree Tom, you have absolutely aced the interior - that instrument panel is sensational!