1/72 Airfix Whitley GR.VII, 502 Sq., 1941

Started by John Healy · 30 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This is my second Whitley, having built the Mk.V when it came out. They’re very enjoyable kits.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Good luck with it!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Good work John looking forward to this!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Chuffed to see this John - a brilliant addition - thanks for adding a second build! As you say good to get a Coastal Command aircraft into the GB - I've not looked at this kit in detail - was this the first plane to claim a U-boat? I remember some debate about whether it was an Whitley or a mine. Either way interesting tech stuff with the air-to-surface radar set up!

• Profile Photo

You’re welcome, Paul. I think the first Uboat sunk by an aircraft was claimed by a Blenheim off the NW coast of Ireland. A 502 Sq. Whitley was thought to be the first to use the search radar to find and sink a Uboat in the Bay of Biscay in November, 1941. And yes, it is now believed that the boat was actually sunk by a mine.

• Profile Photo

Real progress today. Complete wing built up.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Now I have a complete airframe.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I like the airplane, and your model is looking great, super work going on, but the Whitley's in the running with the Blackburn Blackburn for Oooogly.

• Profile Photo

It is an ugly plane, Tom, but I’ve always liked it!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Yeah, there is something about it. Pig ugly, but purposeful.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Interesting and different choice John, coming along nicely, I don't see it as ugly just having character !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Ugly or beautiful this is looking like a very accomplished build of a rarely built beast! It’s a really great addition to RAF100 John - for its uncommon status and for the fantastic job you are doing with it!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years, 7 months ago:

What a great choice to build. A lot of details straight from the box, Airfix did another great job on the Whitley. Not in my stash yet but high on the wishlist. Looking forward to your progress.

• Profile Photo

Filled and sanded now. I hope to have it masked by the weekend. Now to choose a painting sequence. I’ll probably paint the Extra Dark Sea Grey/ Dark Slate Grey upper camo pattern first with Humbrol enamels, mask and finish the rest of the airplane with Tamiya white acrylic.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Masking finally. I broke down and used an Eduard set on this one!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.