A group of Eight various 1/48 Spitfires………. Four Airfix and Four Tamiya, Mk 1 to the FR 46 / 47

Started by Louis Gardner · 332 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

She's looking sweet Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Superb Louis, great example of the different schemes used by the RAF. And that is not all of them. Really the Luftwaffe basically used just 2 colors until late in the war when some of the lower surfaces were left bare metal. Othewise it was either RLM 65 Licht Blau (Lt Blue} or RLM 76 Licht Blau. With some night Black used on some night time aircraft. Most of the different schemes being on top of the airframe. When you think Lancaster, first thing that comes to mind is the Dk Earth/DK Green over black. Yet there are a couple of different schemes that the Lancaster appeared in during the war. And we still have the FAA schemes to consider as well. Hmmmm, kind've like more to build if ya ask me.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Tom C.,
    Thank you ! This PRU camouflage Spitfire is something I have been wanting to build for quite some time now. I am very pleased with the results on this Airfix Mk XIX version.

David L-S,
    Yes I too have experience problems with the canopies frosting at the final stages of a build. It really knocks the wind out of your sails when it happens. I am sorry that you recently experienced this with "Ye Olde Pub"... quite a shame. The next step is to pick up the pieces and drive on...

Thanks for the compliments my friend.

Robert R.,
    Thanks buddy !

David M.,
    I appreciate the compliments !

Chuck V.,
    Thank you for the compliments my friend. I am also amazed at the various color options provided by the RAF during WW2, (and leading up to the War). I have seen a few drawings of Lancaster painted in a "Day" scheme with light undersides. That is a rather appealing color combination, and something you don't see every day. Just like you mentioned, if we added in the choices used by the FAA, it would really be mind boggling... I have been very tempted recently to build a few F4U's and possibly two F6F Hellcats in the FAA colors...

So yes we have some options !

Thanks again everyone for the kind words...

Please stay tuned as I have a very exciting announcement to make in the very next post. Which will follow in a few minutes. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Late last night, and very early this morning I made some great progress on the Airfix PRU MK XIX Spitfire.

Please follow along, and I'll show you what was done.

I noticed something from looking at another builders postings here on Imodeler. It makes perfect sense when it sinks in...

In regards to exhaust staining: This kit has the exhaust molded as separate parts. Most kits do now days. It's a whole lot easier to add the exhaust staining before these parts are added on. It allows you more precise control of the staining as it appears directly next to the exhaust pipes.

So I decided to give it a try on the PRU Spit.

Since I was on a roll, and the "Mojo" was full speed ahead, I painted the exhaust parts, then started drilling out the exits. I used a #61 drill first as a pilot hole to make sure things were centered. Then I came back with a #54 and carefully removed more plastic until just the edges of the pipes remained. If you look closely at the extreme far right exhaust opening, this hole has been fully opened up. The remaining 5 have the "pilot" hole only.

After this step, I used a tooth pick and painted inside the exhaust using WW2 German Armor Gray.

The fit for these parts was spot on. I didn't even have to glue them. I simply pressed the pipes in position... done.

The canopy was glued on, as were the camera doors. The remaining steps were to assemble and install the landing gear...

Be careful here. The attachment point is rather weak. I chose to install the "tyres" with the flattened bulge. Due to the angle of the main gear legs when installed, it matters which tyre is used on which side. They are a keyed part, so you need to follow the "destructions" to the letter...

Also, the oleo "scissors" are very delicate. These parts will break very easily when you're cutting them from the tree... be careful !

Here's how the landing gear and tires look once installed. After this picture was snapped, I gave the wheels and the wheel wells a light oil wash of "Lamp Black" to bring out the details. That last step really made things
    "Pop"

Now I have to say...

This one is done ! Who would have thought that the "Last" type of Spitfire used by the RAF would be the "First" one I finished.

Here's a few pictures showing the plane completed. You will also see the overall finish has been "toned down" to a semi matt finish. I sprayed on a few light coats of "Future" with some Tamiya Flattening agent added. It works pretty good, and closely resemble and egg shell finish ...

The next time you see this one will be during the reveal.

Thanks again for looking, and please stay tuned for updates.

As always,
    "Comments are encouraged"

Thanks.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Oow, It's looking better and better.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

You've definitely "outdone yourself" Louis. This is one very nice result.

Regarding cutting small parts off the sprues, I don't know why I didn't figure this out decades ago, but I now cut the small parts off the sprue with the attachment bits of sprue still there, then cut them off when I have the part solidly on a cutting pad. No more breakage and far less likely to go spanging off into the Great Beyond.

• Profile Photo

Should you decide to "go to sea" with the Fleet Air Arm, beware that Grumman had their paint mixed exactly to specifications, so their Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey and Sky really are those colors. Vought did the same (they used the same paint factory on Long Island that Grumman did) with the result that the Corsair I "birdcage" versions are also in FAA colors. However, Goodyear, who built the FG-1As the British got as Corsair IIs, used "FAA Equivalent" colors - Neutral Grey for EDSG, Olive Drab for LSG, and "Sky grey" for Sky. Grumman-built Avenger Is (TBF-1 and TBF-1C) also used exact British colors, while Eastern Aircraft Avenger IIs (TBM-1C) used the "FAA Equivalent" colors. Both the Avenger III (TBM-3) and Corsair IV (FG-1D) are in Dark Sea Blue. Grumman Hellcat IIs (F6F-5) come in FAA colors for the first batches and Dark Sea Blue for the later ones. Grumman-built Martlet/Wildcats (Martlet II and IV) use FAA colors, while Wildcat V (FM-1) and Wildcat VI (FM-2) use "Equivalent." Basically, if it was built by Grumman or Vought directly, it has FAA colors; if not, it doesn't. I point all this out because for some reason this information hasn't been as widespread as it should be and one frequently sees the various marks of US Lend-Lease aircraft in the wrong colors on model tables.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Peter !
    I'm very pleased with this PRU one. Lets hope the remaining Spitfires turn out.

Tom C.,
    Thanks for the additional information, and the compliments on this PRU Spitfire.

The info on the FAA colors was particularly useful and I appreciate this. I hope to put this to good use in the very near future...

I'm fairly certain that a company called "Berry Brothers" (or something very similar to this name) produced the aircraft paints for Vought and Grumman for the Navy, while they also manufactured paints for Bell and Curtiss for the Army aircraft. So this would make sense.

I purchased the two recent edition books by Dana Bell on the F4U, who also did a lot of color and historical research on the F4U, and have been stopping by to see my friends who are currently restoring a Grumman F6F Hellcat back to airworthy status, among their other restoration projects. They have been doing some excellent documentation of this plane (including the original colors) they found during the disassembly stage.

Here's a few pictures of the F6F, that I took during one of my latest visits. The cowling should be back on by now, and the outer wings should follow very soon.

Thanks again for the information on Goodyear and Eastern built aircraft and the colors they used...

Good stuff !

This is partly why I want to build up the Corsairs and Hellcats I mentioned in one of my recent posts.

• Profile Photo

I managed to spray another Spitfire just before dinner was ready...

This is a Tamiya Mk 1, and I used Model Master "Dark Earth" as the base color.

I'm happy with how the paint flowed out nice and evenly as it dried.

That's all for tonight. I have some yard work and other things to tend to tomorrow. Once that's done, I'll try to get back at "Casa Bromwich" aka the "Iron Werks"...

Thanks for looking, and please stay tuned for further updates.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Louis, it’s one of the best Spits I’ve seen built. You’ve captured the colour and the finish perfectly. Congratulations. I can really sense the GB in full swing and the output is looking sensational!

• Profile Photo

Do you happen to know if that's an F6F-3? Given the cover over the canopy and the beginnings of a tricolor scheme I hope so, but never doubt the ability of warbird "restorers" to trip over their shoelaces.

• Profile Photo

Yes it is a dash 3. It's also a night fighter variant.
    F6F-3N

• Profile Photo

There wasn't an F6F-3N, only an F6F-3E (visualy a different radar pod, holding a different radar). If they restore this, it will be incredibly valuable, the only one.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Just look at the lines of that Spitfire. The pure primer shows the utter elegance of this gorgeous aircraft. Beautiful.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents for the compliments. These Spitfires are beautiful planes. They epitomize the saying "If it looks right, it flies right."

Yes Tom,
    This Hellcat is a rare bird, according to the gents restoring her. Here's a link to their website where you can see some of their previous work.

http://americanaeroservices.com/

and this link is specific to the Hellcat. You can read about the night fighter here...they have it listed as a F6F-3N

http://americanaeroservices.com/grumman-f6f-3n-hellcat-buno-41476_Page.html

If you click on the "virtual tour" link provided below, you can look at various places inside the airframe, where you can see untouched original sections where the original colors like "Grumman Gray" were found. They put a lot of effort into restoring this plane back to it's original colors. The plane was somewhat "restored" previously... more like preserved for a future restoration.

Now they are doing it correctly. In this next link you can see where the interior of the fuselage was sprayed in ZC color by someone else. But you can see the original Grumman Gray present.

The plane is being put back to original colors in all locations.

http://vintagetin.net/F6FHellcat/F6FIntFuselage131126/

One of their recent ground up restorations was an A-36 Apache. It won the "Golden Wrench" award at Oshkosh in 2012. It is beautiful... you should see it in person. Here's a photo I found online.

The Focke Wulf 190 is going to be a sweet ride too...