Bernie’s SE5a – Eduard 1/48 ’Wolseley Viper’

Started by Paul Barber · 66 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Paul I really like the way the wing finished, you seem to be progressing quite well.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 5 months ago:

You know seeing this WIP on this SE5 maybe changing my mind on not being interested in building this era aircraft. Really had no interest. But watching this, I may have to maybe just try one for the heck of it, as this looks like a fun one to build. Not necessarily an SE 5, but maybe try tackling a Wing Nuts kit in 32 nd scale . These were still quite small in 48th scale. Time will tell. Looking forward to the finish on this one Paul.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Tom, it’s a bit of a journey of discovery but it is coming right I hope.

Chuck, yes 1/48th scale is too small for me in these Great War fighters. It’s a challenge but ultimately enjoyable.

WNW is a different experience entirely - The Sopwith Snipe is proving a lot easier thus far, although I’ve not fitted the framework into the cockpit or rigged anything yet!

• Profile Photo

A little more progress. Just starting the learning journey with laminated props and oil paints!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Great effort Paul - it's looking good!

• Profile Photo
    Julio Contreras Martínez said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Me está gustando mucho la progresión del trabajo.Admirable!.Estoy desando que llegues a los cables que es lo más difícil de conseguir para mí. Adelante!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Julio - I am getting ready to learn a lot with the rigging (wires) myself!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good Paul, hope the rigging goes well !

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Great paintwork, Paul. That looks like a great kit. Good luck with the rigging! I’m a fairly competent rigger and always have trouble with double wires.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 5 months ago:

This is just fantastic. I love the really subtle modulations of colour that add interest and depth to the larger areas. Looks beautiful. Like Tom, it makes me want to get to work one one of these biplanes.

Nice to see the Lissie and Hurri in the background. Oh, and the base is lovely!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Well, Paul, for an FNG (Fooking New Guy), you're doing really well with this model. It's looking good!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks all - David, as you know I have pretty much sworn off WW2 for 2019 in order to get out of my comfort zone. The GBs of 2018 have pushed me into a bit of WW2 overload. So 2019 will include Hollywood (including a tank and a P40 which can just about be justified as pre-war for the USA if you believe the film 1941, and of course some Wagnerian helicopters), a Vietnamese Mig for that GB, and a few more great Great War subjects (I have earmarked the MvR Albatross and now have the Lanoe Hawker AMC DH2 in which he died, shot down by 'The Baron'), and a fractionally post-war US aviation build(!). The rest will be 'on the fly' because I don't much handle yearly 'build plans'. I quite like following the GBs I guess! So who knows.

Tom, never been called that before - quite like it!

And to all wishing me well with the rigging, cheers - this one won't get turnbuckles - waaaay too small for my eyes - the WNW snipe will.

Anyway here is a picture of the SE5a with decals - it is a famous enough subject, ' Schweinhund', but the colours are fun (even if the story is less so - I guess there are not many happy stories from that war).

Anyway the Christmas theme continues - the kids' Star Wars advent calendars are in the background. Today was a battle droid, a little boring but we are holding out for some interesting figures deeper into the season!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Ah, the Lego Star Wars advent. Happy days. I myself have a classic stormtrooper advent this year.

2019 sounds like an interesting and diverse modeling year for you. I am still agonising (well, actually enjoying rather than agonising) over pushing the button on a 200 scale Doolittle Hornet which I’d build around with ‘side’ projects for the year. At the moment I don’t think that’ll happen, my mojo isn’t quite up to the challenge. I have a couple of pretty cool diorama ideas and I think that’s where my modeling is heading to; stories, a bit of quirkiness, maybe a ‘what if’ build or two. I’m definitely not a ‘planner’ either.

The Schweinhund is looking bonnie, a real beauty (love that deep red) that I’m sure will look a real showpiece when she’s done.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I have to say that I have noticed, that after a tightly grouped cluster of significant life events your mojo is again 'rising'. We often forget that the hobby is supposed to fit around life more than the exact opposite! Difficult second (third?) album syndrome, after some of your mammoth builds and logs, may also have kicked in I guess. I can only assume it is tough pulling those together - quite a commitment. Looking forward to the next builds whatever they are. I'm going to have a long rest from any sort of admin, and focus on the building. I am looking forward to jumping into some of cracking ideas for GBs that this site throws up! I am very likely moving this year too, within this area of Aus, so maybe a bit of expansion in terms of space may get me back on the dio trail. There is this scene in 1941...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 4 months ago:

"FNG" is old "Vietnam grunt talk" Paul