Bernie’s SE5a – Eduard 1/48 ’Wolseley Viper’

Started by Paul Barber · 66 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

An honour to be called it, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Beautiful work on Bernie's SE5a. Again I say that he would really be happy right about now. It's looking sharp !

As far as the FNG saying goes, we used it throughout my time in the US Army while serving in tanks during the 1980's. So we Tankers used it too.

Later on it was carried through my time in the Fire Services. Some things never go away.

And that's a great thing. I call it "heritage". Others may call it something else. Too bad for them.

Well done my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 4 months ago:

It's not anything I ever heard before Vietnam, so likely it started there and moved along as various vets took it elsewhere in their lives. Stayed in the military, would have shown up in the fire services, etc.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

As a man working in a profession where 90% of psychologists are female, the term FNG has been around forever. Modesty forbids I say exactly what FNG means in this case, although I have heard it (slightly amended) used by women on occasion to describe a ‘pleasant on the eye’ gentleman starter...

• Profile Photo

I gotta say David, I suspect working with you would be very worthwhile, but I do really like my female "shrink," particularly since her mother was a Hollywood Star who she barely survived, and she understands that my "war stories" aren't entertainment. I do think women are better at the job (for the same reason I have a female attorney and a female agent - they listen, they hear me, and I know they work 3 times as hard as a man to be considered as good (and are thus 3 times more capable and competent). We guys are not as great as we think.

• Profile Photo

I gotta say David, I suspect working with you would be very worthwhile, but I do really like my female "shrink," particularly since her mother was a Hollywood Star who she barely survived, and she understands that my "war stories" aren't entertainment. I do think women are better at the job, for the same reason I have a female attorney and a female agent - they listen, they hear me, and I know they work 3 times as hard as a man to be considered merely as good (and are thus 3 times more capable and competent). We guys are not as great as we think. I did have a male counselor who was good because he had been in Hollywood as a producer before quitting and going into psychology. But when he left to go to law school, he suggested the woman I am with now.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I certainly agree, Tom. Sad to say that momen have always had to work much harder (often just to be taken seriously) than us men. I’ve often fought with colleagues over men who were promoted over much more hard working and gifted women.
    Seems to be changing, glad to report.

• Profile Photo

Yes, it is, and not just in your field.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 4 months ago:

With all deference to the discussion about women in various professions, may I add that the SE-5 is looking exceptionally well Paul. Keep it buddy I'm enjoying the view.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Yes Paul, the SE is looking fantastic... I'm looking forward to seeing it on the reveal.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Well, I’m late as ever. And for a party I have part hosted too. And here’s why (apart from being talked into an extra 2 weeks of consultancy work just as school broke up) - bleedin’ rigging. It is a new kind of hell. The SE5a has sat upside down in a vice for three days now. And although I am not too much of a one for swearing - especially since the kids were born - there has been the odd passage of blue air. The tail plane is mostly done, the wheels too. And there are now exactly twenty 0.03mm strands hanging from the upper wing. Tomorrow the final reckoning - it has been testing but at least it will be over soon!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years ago:

The rigging changed dramatically (I ditched ezyline for some WNW material - my eyes couldn't take it), the cowl was filed and shaped significantly to fit around the aftermarket radiator.

My first WW1 offering - and a lot has been learned. Thanks for all the advice along the way. Never 1/48 for WW1 again!

All of which is irrelevant, really. This wasn't really done for critique, just to honour an outstanding man, who taught and helped everyone he wrote back so wonderfully well to on iModeler! Thank you, Bernie!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years ago:

Only one thing, Paul. Ailerons don't droop simultaneously on both sides. One side up, one side down (and In WW1, the deflection was equal up/down - nowadays ailerons go down 2x as they go up). Not a criticism, it's an easy thing to fix even now, and you did a really outstanding job for a first WW1 airplane. I can assure you there are now-advanced WW1 modelers who wish their first had been anywhere close to this one.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years ago:

First and foremost Paul, Bernard would have loved it. Hell I love it. That build shows your passion and patience on a tough kit. Beautiful work, the heck with the position of the ailerons the model is exquisite. Well done!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

Beautiful plane Paul !

Bernie would definitely be proud of it. No doubt. I’d be honored to have it in my display case too. I’m a little too chicken to try and build a 1/48 scale biplane that has a lot of rigging.

I have a few Stearmans in 1/48 and the rest of my biplanes are in 1/32 scale.

Well done my friend. I’m glad that you posted it on here for us to see.

It’s also very good to see you back at it. I know that you have been very busy lately. I was wondering how you were doing earlier today.

Then you posted this one and answered my thoughts.

Thanks