Early memories – a 1/48 Revell Spitfire Mk II and a 1/48 Hasegawa P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt Mk I

Started by James B Robinson · 60 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This is good stuff gents...

James,
    When I built my Revell Spitfire many moons ago, I had a step in it just like you described. Back then I thought it was supposed to be there. Having been a little more educated all these years later, and with access to the internet, now I know it's wrong.

I like how you fixed it... Other than that problem, I don't recall any others when I built my Mk II Spitfire.
    The P-47 looks like a huge monster when parked next to the little petit Spitfire... it's coming along nicely too.

Looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Louis @lgardner, thanks for checking in and the encouragement. You know what they say, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig!". Time will tell if I end up with a ribbon winner or not. Yes, the 47 is more my speed, big and brawny. Schedule has me off the bench for a few days, but the Bridal shower is next Saturday and I've been banished to the man-cave for the majority of the day so I should be able to make some good progress. Other plans are sprouting legs. Future's so bright...reaching for the shades! LOL 😉 BTW...do you have @dirtylittlefokker on speed dial? May need that number.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Congrats on the daughter's wedding. Sounds like you raised her well.

Good luck with the photo shoot too, and hopefully you can get some time in the man-cave... 🙂

Sprouting legs may also work... Sorry, I don't have David on speed dial, (but I should). He keeps telling me that I don't need my aluminum hat. Especially when I'm flying my Spitfire.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

You know, in all these years I’ve built exactly zero P47’s (no pun intended). I guess (like Chuck’s daughter) I’m saving myself for that one special find. I love Jugs (and have been tempted by the Trumpy 1/32) but just haven’t pushed the button.

Anyway, great thread, James. It’s not until you stand next to a Jug that you appreciate the sheer size and power of these amazing planes. Makes the Spitfire look like a different scale.

Keep it coming, James.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Well, I generally tune into posts first or last being in Aus. This time it is last regarding the current round of updates and comment. Congratulations on your daughter’s upcoming nuptials! And well done for picking the camera in anger again! I have been coerced into doing my second ever wedding in November. I need to be careful not to go down your path - I’m not a fan of shooting humans! Still it gives me an excuse to test drive the new Canon full frame mirrorless number alongside my trusty older body.

These are looking great James. Happy to see the developments, the fixes and the craftsmanship. No pigs here! My phone was pinging all day with updates - so getting home from work and tuning in to this is just so heartening. Lovely stuff!

I’m in awe of you gents with daughters. I have two boys. They are being raised to treat women with the utmost respect. Being a dad to daughters is a special privilege! I’m jealous in some ways and not in others!

Looking forwards to the next update, here’s hoping the wedding shower runs long and the bench time is extended!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Congratulations on your daughters wedding James, I've married off two daughters and it is an exciting time!
    How's the father of the bride speech coming along?

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David @davem, to be honest, it's so far out of my mind I almost forgot about it. Thank you for the reminder. I will have to write it up and commit it to memory so I won't break down in the middle of it. Short version, when I met my wife, her daughter was 10 years old. We melded families and the daughter and I fought like cats and dogs for the first few years. She never knew her real father and was raised in a different manner than my two children. Eventually I became Dad and when she turned 18, she asked if I would adopt her so she could have my last name. So yes, it's going to be a special day for me.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

James@jamesb
    A very special day indeed !
    You're father of the bride, you're allowed a few tears, you've earned them!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Boys...I'm BAAAACK!

After a very long time away from the bench. Has it really been 8 months? Well not quite, I've been messing around with a few other things and tinkering off and on around the bench. Daughter's wedding completely consumed me and then I changed employers and was working a ton of hours for a few months. Things have finally settled down and I was able to get some good time on the bench during the Holiday.

Let's step back to where I left off first. The Revell Spit almost ended up in the trash. Fit and alignment of the canopy was horrible. Probably my fault since I have not touched a model in ages, but it got the best of me. It's now in the something to do later Diorama pile. The P-47, well let's just say I screwed the pooch on the canopy and it too was in dire straights.

No problems. I purchased an older Tamiya Spitfire and was able to secure a few sprues to resolve the P-47. The Tamiya was like the difference between night and day. Didn't even have a "Made In China" stamp to deal with.

I've been getting anxious about starting on one of the 'imodeler at the Movies' builds and realized I had to finish these two first. I also realized that it had been so long of a time since I built a model that Perfection was the least of my worries but the mechanics of building was, so with resolve I dove back in. These will have imperfections for sure, but I'm not worried about that. Re-learning forgotten skills is most important.

Here's where I'm at. The Spitfire fuselage is closed, wing is assembled and ready for mating.

I spent the majority of my weekend on the P-47. Her legs are painted and ready for assembly, the fuselage is buttoned up and wings attached. I applied a light primer to the bottom side and will need to address a few issues next and then apply the underside final coat.

Mtc.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Hello James !

It's good to see you back at this project. Sometimes we need to step back and take a fresh look at things when we hit a wall. I have done this quite frequently. I'm sure this weekend was a good one with the P-47... from what I see in the pictures you posted it is looking very good.

Thanks for the update. I'll be looking forward to your next installment. Congrats again on the daughters wedding, and it's good to hear that things are settling back to normal with your new job.

Maybe this will allow you more time at the work bench.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Louis, thanks for the encouragement. Sorry it took so long, but sometimes Life gets in the way and I would not trade those experiences for anything. The photos...a keen eye will notice that I didn't take any close-ups! LOL 😉

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Nice work James - great to have you back !

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

As I said above, "Re-learning forgotten skills is most important.". That has taken on a whole new meaning to me! It's been a slow process since I haven't had much time at the bench. Finally got some good modeling time in last weekend and a few hours today. P-47 is very close to completion after several starts and stops.

The camouflage pattern was a big learning curve. I took some 'close to scale' drawings and printed them as near as I could get to the right size. Laid out the pattern, trimmed the paper then attached with masking tape. I had practiced with a Liquid Masking Medium with disastrous results.

The results:

I realized that I had probably not waited long enough before masking the first base coat.
    Lesson Learned! The decal sheet indicated that there were certain areas of the paint were suppose to appear faded. Not sure if these planes were delivered with the base brown coat and field applied green or not. There is not a lot of detail available for this Sqd. 146 based in India at the time.

Not very pleased with how the canopy turned out either. I've completed some touch up and will be ready to apply the decals soon. I am also experimenting with a replacement canopy, trying to 'up my game' with the masking process.

Going to let this one sit for the week and turn my attention back to the Spitfire.

Mtc.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Just a small update. Started back on the Spit and realized there was some attention needed. Worked on it and then switched back to fix some of the short comings of the P-47. Fixed a few spots and while waiting on the paint to cure, played with some testing on Decals and matte finishes. Using Vallejo Matt Varnish as per the instructions, I gummed up the gun and proceeded to clean it.

After a few days I came back to spray some paint on the Spitfire and refresh some of the spots on the P-47.

This was not to happen...the gun appeared to be spotless, but alas it was not so. Had to tear it down again and start over. One step forward and two steps back!

Not a total loss. Got a new piece for the Man Cave I think David @dirtylittlefokker can appreciate.

Shout out to Louis @lgardner, glad you are getting some mileage out of that sticker!

And some rather exciting news with from my Daughter and Son in Law!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I'm a bit late in following this GR8 build - but first things first; Congrats on the Grandchild!
    Then; is it an african or european swallow?
    And finally; noted your reversed clothespins - I will steal that idea!
    Keep those posts comin' - looking good.