Early memories – a 1/48 Revell Spitfire Mk II and a 1/48 Hasegawa P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt Mk I

Started by James B Robinson · 60 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Hello Erik @airbum, not so sure it's a GR8 build but I'll take that compliment and thank you. This will be our first and we are very excited.

Cob webs and dust are fading, old skills are returning! Hoping to get these two wrapped up in short order and get started on something bigger. I saw the reversed clothespins on another post and not sure where. Great idea but a word of warning, those springs can bite if one is not careful when reversing the prongs (had to look that one up).

• Profile Photo

Quick update. Last weekend was a good, not so good time at the bench. The P-47 was ready for decals and I was able to apply a few. Ended up tearing one of the large side letters and am waiting on a replacement sheet. I then turned my attention to the Spitfire planning to apply the base coat for the camouflage when I discovered there was a problem with my primary Airbrush. A few days before, I practiced spraying Matte varnish over some decals on a test subject. I apparently really gummed it up pretty bad. I thought I had cleaned it well enough, but it was not to be. I cleaned it several times again but still had clogging. I ended up having to use my other brush. Which is fine for applying primer or covering large areas, but I really needed the finer capabilities of my Patriot. Another lesson learned, replacement parts should arrive tomorrow.

Tonight I was able to spend a little time prepping for a full day at the bench tomorrow. Applied a few more decals on the P-47 and then masked the Spitfire in preparation for the final camouflage finish.

Here's what they look like at the moment. I need to rework the P-47 prop this weekend as well. Hope to wrap these two up in short order.

MTC.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Firstly, congratulations on the great family news! This build surely has charted your recent good fortune as a parent!

As to the build, you are achieving fantastic results despite some unfortunate twists of fate! The paint on both models looks great, James. Those masks are definitely something I'll have a look into in the future - outstanding outcomes! Thanks for sharing! Nearly, there - can't wait to see the finished articles!

• Profile Photo

Paul @yellow10, thanks for dropping by. Yes, we are pretty excited on the addition. I already have the full size plans for a Gee Bee pedal car, purchased some 30 years ago, and I cannot wait to build one. http://www.pedalplanekits.com/home.html

The build...wow have times changed. It's been a fun learning experience and now that SWMBO is behind my efforts, I'm getting a little more bench time. You are too kind in your observations, but I'll take it. Even if these two turn out to be '6 Feet Shelf Queens', it's all good.

Cheers from Texas!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

James, @jamesb

I second the congrats with the family... and those little pedal cars are neat ! Heck I'd even consider building up one a little bigger so that I could fit in one ! Now thinking about that, it would have to be a LOT bigger and have heavy duty load rated tires... and quite possibly an engine, as my pedal power isn't what it used to be.

Six footer or not, I'm liking what I'm seeing ! I personally think it's much better than that. We are almost always our own worst critic.

Good job buddy...

• Profile Photo

Louis, @lgardner
    Thank you! For both the congratulations and the thoughts on my build. I can just see the wheels turning, you thinking about building a Gee Bee you could drive. LOL!

I do tend to be a bit of a perfectionists at times, but I'm enjoying this experience and already seeing it's going to be a great adventure.

Paul, @yellow10 Here are the results of using those masks. They did pretty good, but I'm thinking I should have applied a clear coat before applying them. There were a few spots that they allowed some paint to seep in. They were not extremely tacky and they tended to leave a harder edge than I was wanting. Could have just been me!

Anyway, I'm going to experiment with some AK Camouflage Reusable Elastic Putty (http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aki/aki8076.htm). Finally found some in stock and promptly ordered a can.

I'm going to let this one sit for a day or two before I come back and do some clean up while I am waiting on replacement decals for the P-47.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 7 months ago:

James: Given that it's been as long as you say it has been since you were actively involved, you should be happy with what's going on here. The Spitfire looks fine (the Dark Earth could be a bit darker but WTH). You're proving it really is "like riding a bicycle.",You'd be a bit shaky after not doing that for as long as you've been away, but you'd ride it around the block without falling down. The nice thing is, you can learn faster now, so you'll soon be surpassing yourself.

• Profile Photo

Tom @tcinla, Truly appreciate the kind words and I agree, the Dark Earth could be a bit darker. I'll have to experiment with that before the next one. All in all I'm not disappointed because I can learn from the fubars. One of my Professors in Architecture College told us to "Learn what you do well. Learn what you cannot, then DON'T do it". So, there's a lot of things I'm going to have to learn not to do! LOL.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Jim: did you EVER LEARN ANYTHING from success (other than you liked it?) We learn from FAILURE. We advance by figuring out how not to do that screwup a second time.

It's one reason I wish modeling was more open to useful critiques - all the tush-patting in the world won't make one a better modeler, but an informative discussion about camo patterns, camo colors that should have been used, tricks to get rid of those pesky gaps with attaching windshields, etc., would result in better models. It's al in how you phrase the critique.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Hello James, again some great information! Thanks for the detailed view of the use of those masks.

Given that there are pictures and eye witness reports of the use of masks made of rubber mats, thin wood, felt and aluminium being used when camo was painted onto some spits (and other planes) it’s a fine line between hard and soft edges!

Some heated debate has raged but I think you are safe! The ‘real’ masks have been said to be unwieldy and to have been used by some painters only as guides for chalk marking prior to freehand spraying. And these were not always available in the field or in all factories. In terms of RAF planes masks have also been said to have been flipped over to get the B scheme done! Some say the same approach - used by Hawker for Hurricanes persisted for Hunters! You can find plenty of pictures of both finishes!

Here is a well known photo from the Curtiss factory of painters using masks.

Tom, as a teacher I was trained to pick 2 elements that are specifically very good about a students work first. ‘What went well’ is a great way of motivating someone to keep doing what has been done to a high standard. Definitely not nebulous praise, like ‘great job’. Praising effort was popular for a while, and makes us feel nice - but praising successful or productive effort is way better. You can clench your fists and give it your best shot over and over - but if you are doing the wrong thing effort is going to waste.

And then we use ‘even better if’ - choosing one key thing that would improve
    the work to greatest advantage. A piece of actionable and incisive guidance. Much like your recent feedback on propellor weathering.

Feedback (along with aspiration) has been continually shown to be the most valuable tool in raising standards in education. However, as you say, using these approaches with emotional intelligence, is also key! People tend to take formative assessment better if it is delivered in a kind way!

Finally James, you have inspired Louis to build himself a new plane-shaped Go-Kart, too! I, like many, would pay good money to see him in action in one of those little beauties!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Tom @tcinla, that's exactly what the Professor was saying to us, try everything, fail and learn from your mistakes. Although his words were short, there was a lot more meaning behind them as we learned.

I don't remember the name of the class but it was something akin to "Introduction to Graphics". It was the first class in 2nd year. First assignment: Present 'Three types of Material Joints Forming Right Angles' using paper and Illustration board. Most of the class went home and drew plans and isometric views then mounted them to a piece of board. There were a few of us that not only provided the drawings, but actually built little models visually displaying the joints. I ended up with a Butt Joint, Rabbit Joint and a Dado Joint. I must have spent 6 hours that night trying to hand cut a miter joint with terrible results, so that one didn't make the presentation. I could have been done in an hour and gone out drinking beer with my friends but I didn't. I learned several months later that you needed a Bevel Edge Matt cutter instead of just an X-acto knife and a stainless steel ruler. My grade was a pat on the head for lessening. We the few who made the attempt, were used as examples. Turned out to be one of the best teachers I had in college.

Paul @yellow10, Thanks for the input and those photos. I had never seen that one from the Curtiss Factory. The hard edges I was referring to probably had more to do with how I was pointing the airbrush than anything else. I actually had a few places with ridges because of the amount of paint I sprayed. There again, another lesson. Looking forward to trying the elastic putty method.

Critique technique, I agree. Being a senior designer in my field, I am often called upon to teach the "New"kids. I've never told anyone "Your doing it wrong!", I tend to tell them that it is not the correct representation and explain why so that they understand. I am happy to say that all those I have tutored have excelled in their field.

Thank you both for the input. Greatly appreciated.

James B

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Last Update - 01/20/20

...(fingers crossed)

Finally finished with all the decals and touch ups. For the Spitfire, I used the Foxbot 48-002 "Presentation Spits, Part 1: Spitfire Mk. II" set. The decals were a tad thick. They were in register, color and details were great but they were very finicky and proved to not react as expected to setting/softening solutions. Could have been me, but not what I was expecting.

For the P-47, or Thunderbolt Mk I, I used the Xtradecals X48-115 "Yanks with Roundels" set. Other than the first go, these worked totally different than the Foxbot sheet. Very thin but easier to work with.

I used EZ Line for the antenna lines on the P-47. I will install them as well on the Spitfire once I have picked a display place to avoid trouble.

They are far from perfect, but they will pass at least the 3 foot rule. As I stated before, the Thunderbolt was the first model I built along with my father some 50 or so years ago. The Spitfire represents the first model I ever built by myself. I'm sure these both look better than the original attempts back then. We didn't have Airbrush back then and only brushes and Testors glue tubes.

I'll post up final images and proper write up within the next few weeks. I'll be away from the bench next weekend with my daughter's Baby Shower, so it's just going to have to wait.

Cheers,
    James B

4 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Marvelous posting. Looks like you crossed the finish line in style. Great job James. You never realize how big the P-47 is until you see it parked next to another aircraft.

Thanks for sharing this trip with us.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I have enjoyed this WIP immensely James! I think you actually reflect those joys and challenges we face in the hobby so well. Add in some fantastic life elements like baby showers and it becomes a true depiction of a modeller’s life.

As for the completed builds , they are simply perfect. The P-47 really wears that livery and scheme well! And the spitfire is a classic. Thanks so much for being part of the whole show and for persisting to deliver a pair of real ‘show-stoppers’. Beautiful, beautiful work!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Paul @yellow10, you don't know how much this means to me. I truly appreciate the compliment, all though I think you need to get your eyes checked. 🙂

Had it not been for Louis Gardner's urging @lgardner, I would have never thought of entering a Group Build at the time. I knew I was pretty rusty, but it was fun. There's a famous line from one of my favorite movies..."Hold on to your Butts"...I've got some big ideas for the future and I think I'm close to a new adventure.

Cheers,
    James B