Final calls, dates and editing protocols!

Featured · Started by Paul Barber · 2 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Dear esteemed Gents of RAF100.

Seasons greetings!

As promised it is time to draw down this GB before 2019. I have been ‘off grid’ mostly for about a week now. I can see some brilliant stuff has been happening. I’ll visit all new posts across the next couple of days. Anyone who still has previous builds which they’d like to include - please get them to me (3/4 pictures and a brief description including year and squadron and any specific pilots/operations). I am
    calling that section done as of midnight GMT on December 28th - when I will post.

The final call for the new builds to go into their ‘decades’ on the group page is going to be midnight GMT on the 30th. It would be a great help if you can get them there rather than me having to go back through individual WIPs, please. I will then post on the 31st. No panic if there is an issue in getting done - I will edit once for each group before I go back to work in January (in Aus that’s around the 21st). I can then add in anything arriving a little late AND fix any errors you pick up or suggestions you make when looking through the labels etc for your builds.

Nearly there! Thanks for all the brilliant contributions! I hope you all enjoy some more seasonal cheer as we wrap this one up!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

RAF100 GB ladies and gents,

The final timeline presentation has now been prepared for the 'Previous Builds' section - as promised this will be posted at midnight GMT. With over 250 photos and a significant number of sets of incomplete data provided - lost in the sands of time (!) - I have done my best to fill in squadron numbers and operational years, however it is of course likely that there will be errors.

In the spirit of now celebrating 100 years of the RAF please be mindful of the following notes and guidelines for edits once the timeline is posted:

Some in our community are absolute sticklers for historical accuracy - others do not agonise over this and make best guesses. All are valued and welcome in the RAF100 GB. Check YOUR OWN SUBMISSIONS - even if there are glaring errors on others' submissions these can ONLY be fixed by the owners of the models posted. Perhaps pm a fellow modeller if you are convinced something is in desperate need of change - that is the appropriate way to address 'historical' errors.

I would like to keep these final threads free of 'feedback style critique' and especially the dreaded 'rivet counting'. Both are entirely acceptable in WIPs and sometimes in main section articles, but not at the final reveal of a group build. That time has passed. To be fair many of these models were built a number of years/decades ago, so to offer technical critique now is to miss the point.

While is a 'given' that editing will almost certainly be required - PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR EDITS IN COMMENTS ON THE REVEAL THREAD - THEY CAN BE REQUESTED ONLY HERE!

Over the years photography has changed. Most people now take higher resolution photos with their phones than were possible using professional cameras even 20 years back. I selected the settings for the video most likely to minimise issues with noise and resolution in photos, and have not edited any photos submitted. As any photographer will tell you, it is better to have a 'noisy' shot of a rare subject than no shot at all!

The music is all RAF related - some of it is not exactly to my own taste - but it is appropriate to the group build! I hope you enjoy it!

I have set the date that I return to work in the New Year as the final edit date - and am also happy to add in builds (current and previous), until then - January 20th 2019.

I will complete and post the 'first draft' of the 'current builds' timeline by the 31st of December - if you have built any RAF subjects since April 1st and would like them included, please post them to the relevant decade on the group page.

https://imodeler.com/groups/100-years-of-the-royal-air-force/

I have had some iModelers say 'this is horrible, I built it in my youth, please feel free not to use it'. The whole point was to bring out those kits! So, a massive thank you to all who were brave enough to do so, and to all those who have contributed in any way,

Seasons greetings!

Paul